I need some advice with a Ycopter build.

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by bogusbandit56, Aug 9, 2018.

1. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I am trying to get a Ycopter to run with a KK2 1.5 board and Q- brain esc.
    Can some one please advise me how to power the rudder servo on channel 4 of the KK2 board.
    I did have this set up sort of running last year but I can`t remember how I did it and can`t find the Youtube video that explained it.
    No guessing please only sound advice needed:)
    Thanks.

malukk, thunder and Wildthing like this.
  2. That counts me out. ;)

thunder likes this.
  3. It was a long time ago since I built my tricopter so I would not dare to guess :p but I can point you to the resources on David Windestal's website where you can browse thru his builds for info.

Here's a link to all his projects:
    https://rcexplorer.se/category/projects/

And I believe you'll find the info you are looking for in his video which is somewhat buried somewhere in his forum. But here it is:

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  4. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Thanks Malukk, I have almost worn Davids video out with so many views to setting up the KK2 board:).
    On his build he uses separate esc`s so the problem doesn`t arise.
    I am using a Q-Brain 4x 25amp esc and they do not have bec power to all channels just to number 1.
    I`m pretty sure I used a small 3s battery and a Ubec to power channel 4 (rudder servo)when I used this set up last but I can not remember how I did it.
    Channels 2 to 8 on the KK2 1.5 are not powered. Do you think if I tapped into the red lead on number 1 channel and plugged it into the rudder servo it would work or do I need to connect the black negative wire as well?

malukk likes this.
  5. Yes, you are right! The M1 channel power (+ve) is disconnected from M2-M8. However, all the grounds are connected... M1 powers the board and M2-M8 powers servos, etc. since most escs just need signal cable and are powered directly by battery.

So you can simply jump the two pins, that way power goes from M1-M8:
    44C01B26-3357-418B-B340-DEDC951B364E.JPG

Now, Q-brain has a 3A switching BEC and other ESC wires only have signal cables (and no GND) so you should be okay...
    However, just make sure to do ground tests as to how many amps do you need to power the board and servo (under load) combined. As long as 3A is good enough for both that will make sure you dont have any surprises in-flight... Hope this helps.

bogusbandit56 and Wildthing like this.
  6. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Thank Malukk, your a good lad:).
    To be on the safe side I will use an external ubec and battery and plug it in on channel 6 on the outlet of the KK2 board, yes?

malukk likes this.
  7. Yes! That would work.

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  8. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I will post some footage if I get it to work properly:)
    Now I have to find the ubec I put down the other day and can`t find:D

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  9. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Randy(designed aero flashware) suggest you always do M2 to M8 with it's own power supply because he and other's have ended up crashing if you tap in to the M1 supply. Best to use the UBEC.

malukk and bogusbandit56 like this.
  10. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Thanks, that`s good to know. I have just found the missing ubec and will be fitting it soon:)

11. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I almost wish I had`nt found the ubec.
    Now I have to fire this bloody three headed weed whacker up and the reason why it has been sitting in the drawer for 5 years is because it scares me.

Wildthing likes this.
  12. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Do all your setups with props off. Sugest a pot of coffee before you try.

Wildthing likes this.
  13. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I fitted the ubec and powered the servo but I had the same problem as I first encountered when I tried to fly this monster last time.
    When it lifted off from the ground it would spin in circles and I had to cut the power as it was getting dangerously near to a road.
    I put it back in the drawer for another year.
    I have now sorted the problem as I had reversed the rudder channel in stick scaling on my transmitter.
    What I should have done is reverse the rudder in the editor mixer on the KK board.
    This has been done and low and behold I had it hovering in the house.
    Some tidying up of the tricopter`s wiring and weather permitting should see me wreaking carnage on the flying field tomorrow.
    Let`s see now, what will I need?
    Spare props, about 10 should do.
    Batteries, check.
    Full face crash helmet, check.
    Full body armour. No, so a good thick full length rain coat (Drizabone) check.
    Leather gloves, probably not a good idea.
    Drizabone stockmans rain coat all the way from Oz. You need one in the UK:)
    [​IMG]

Wildthing likes this.
  14. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I have just taken some photo`s but you can`t see much more than three spindly length`s of aluminium and a bunch of wires. which is the sum of it`s part`s :D
    It does look like an insect, maybe a three legged mosquito:)
    I need to secure the receiver, fix the antenna`s and fit a battery strap and then MAYHEM!

Attached Files:

15. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Good news everyone.
    The sun is out and the skies are blue but it is very windy so I can`t go and test fly the Ycopter(sigh of relief)
    I was up til stupid o clock this morning putting the final touches to it. (That was Thunders fault keeping me chatting all night:))
    So it can keep for another year or so until I pluck up the courage to fly this beast:)

16. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

There is one that tops drones. Try flying a helicopter without a gyro and no instructions. (no internet in 1983)and very few pilots in the country. It was called cricket.

Here is the owner's son. Bet he went thru many crashes to learn that when throttle was changed, torque changed the yaw and you had to manually add/subtract rudder. Now, the gyros do all three controls and a kid can fly it. It will be easy if you set up the values right .