How to Print RCPowers Plans. (Tutorial)

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by LukeWarm, Nov 2, 2012.

1. LukeWarm

LukeWarm Top Gun

Introduction:
    The RCPowers planes are easy to build and they fly well. Each one is thoroughly tested before it is put on the product page. If you are new to this hobby; build your first couple of planes as simple as possible, and then learn to fly them. The best and easiest way to learn, is to tackling one challenge at a time. Build them as they were designed so that you can be confident that you are starting with a known good plane.

About the plans:
    You will need the newest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader installed in your computer. Windows 7 will open zip files, but for other Operating Systems, you may need to install a free program like 7-zip to unzip the files with. Win RAR and Win Zip also work well, use your favorite. 7-Zip Download here

RCPowers PDFs are locked, so you can not edit them. RCPowers PDFs are not encrypted, so you do not need a password to get into them. If you wish to print to a larger or smaller scale, you can. All of the RCPowers planes are sized to accommodate a 6 inch prop. If your motor is made for a different size propeller than that, you will need to print the plan at a different scale. For a 7 inch prop, enlarged the plans to 117%.

RCPowers tiled and untiled plans are computer generated; their alignments are perfect, but the printers we use to print them on are not. I have seen the best results come from the untiled plans printed on a wide format printer. To get the best deal for this, call around for prices. Use spray glue to hold the plan to the foam, Once you learn a few little tricks and get organized, cutting the foam pieces out fast and gluing them together will become very easy.

Plan-Scale: Used to check the scale size on our plans.
    [​IMG]

Printing From Home (Tiled Plans)
    All of our plans are intended to be printed with page scaling set to “Shrink to Printable Area”, and the Zoom to ”100%”. All software displays print options differently. You may have to choose something that looks close to this and try it, then check the plan-scale. We have a scale on every PDF that you can put against a ruler to check if it printed at the correct size, check the plan-scale in both directions. If you are not sure of your printer, only print the page the plan-scale is on, then check the scale. If it printed in an incorrect size, retry with a different printer properties setting. If it printed the right size, it's time to print the rest of the pages. This will save you time, ink, and paper.

Most home printers can only print the Tiled.pdf - Standard tiled PDF. Tiled Plans will print on 8.5x11(Letter) and A4 sizes. The tiled plans are at 7.5x10 inches to accommodate A4 and letter size paper without a problem. Now that you have printed the tiles, to make the plans, trim the paper (tile) on the top and the left and tape them together. See the instructions for tile placement (Page Layout) in the plans in the Tiled PDF.

Printing From A Print Shop (Untiled Plans)
    Most of the untiled plans are 27 x 39 inches. The wide format printer you use needs to be able to print at this size or larger. On your flash drive, make a folder that that says "PRINT THIS", Unzip the RCPowers plan file into that folder, then delete the files you do not need printed. Before you go to get it printed, check the PDF file to see if you got the correct one(s), and also check to see if it opens. I like to make it as simple as possible just in case I run into an inexperienced employee. I worked on printers for years, all printers will print PDFs. When you go to get it printed, take a ruler with you.

Tell the employee that you hand the flash drive to "Print the file(s) in the "PRINT THIS" folder at 100% scale" (unless you want a different scale). If you choose the untiled plans, also tell him/her that it needs to be printed on a wide format printer that will print at least 27 inches wide. When he hands you the printed plan, check the plan-scale on it with your ruler you bought with you, check the plan-scale in both directions. If it is not to you liking, show them the problem, and have them reprint it.

PopGun, FIVEKILL, Skydiver and 5 others like this.
  2. LukeWarm

LukeWarm Top Gun

I've been ask this a few times, so I thought I would post it here.
    HOW DO I DOWNLOAD A PLANE ?
    1. Go to RCPowers.com/amember.php
    2. Sign in to your account.
    3. Scroll down to the plane you want
    4. Right click on it and select "Save Link As"
    5. Save it somewhere you can find easily, like your desktop.
    6. You must have an Unzip utility, like 7-Zip installed on your computer
    7. Right click on the file and select "Extract All".
    8. Follow the onscreen instructions to extract the files.
    9. Make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Reader installed in your computer.
    10. Open the plans with Adobe Reader.

Skydiver likes this.
  3. rcfoamfly

rcfoamfly Airman

Brilliant. Tonight is my tenth RCPowers plane and this one will be my favourite.......F18V2. However no matter how many times i have printed the plans i always stuff up the first run and i need to refer to this forum link. Thanks from Alex in Australia.

4. f4mnect

f4mnect Airman

i have been printing the plans out tiled and am happy to use them that way. but a buddy just told me he had a big commercial wide format printer and he could print my plans for me. wow there beautiful and lol i all ready have the tiled f-18 v2 printed out and taped and cut....think i'll use the tiled, the untiled are to beautiful, i may frame them and hang them in the garage

LukeWarm and Newt like this.
  5. martin smith

martin smith Airman

my tiled plans won't print i click print, wait few seconds, and nothing happens

f4mnect likes this.
  6. fishwhisperer83

fishwhisperer83 Ace Pilot

Be sure the printer and computer are setup correctly.

7. LukeWarm

LukeWarm Top Gun

In "devices and printers", go to your printers "printer properties" and print a test page. If you fail in any of these steps, your printer is not set up correctly.

You must have the plans open in Adobe Reader to print them.

8. HiFlite

HiFlite Ace Pilot

You may have to uninstall your printer and then re-install it and then it should work.

LukeWarm likes this.
  9. martin smith

martin smith Airman

Thanks!!! But actually it was just the lame windows computer I was using (which I am typing from right now.) The F-35 plans print out great on the macbook. So I went ahead bought some f-22 plans and they printed out great. I alresdy got it put together as of now, and I want to fly it but I don't have Money for electronics right now. :(:(

10. breitling

breitling Rookie

I did not find much in here about printing from Mac OS. So here is my tutorial about printing tiled plans from Mac OS (MacBook Pro running 10.6.8).

Open the tiled plan in preview and pull down File menu and click print.
    Click Paper Sizes and select Manage Custom Sizes..
    For paper size enter the dimension of the paper you are going to print with, like 8.5 width 11 height.
    For the Non Printable Area choose User Defined. Now for the magic. LukeWarm said the plans are 7.5 in by 10 in. So I set all my margins to 0.5...7.5+0.5+0.5=8.5 for width and 10+0.5+0.5=11 for height.
    Select Scale to Fit and Print Entire Image. Scale is not selected but should show 100%.
    Now print the page with the scale on it and check the scale with a ruler.
    For my laser printer I had to adjust the margins slightly for each different plan, but I was able to print them all at the proper scale.

Hope this helps any Mac users out there.

Bob

LukeWarm likes this.
  11. james04k

james04k Rookie

Thank you so much for this wonderful tutorial. You explained it very well it is really helpful.

LukeWarm likes this.
  12. LukeWarm

LukeWarm Top Gun

This post is from this thread; How do I use other PDF files

How to make tiled plans from untiled plans:
    When using the Acrobat tile button, I've seen complaints of missing print, and the tiles not lining up. Use a photo editor or a program like that, to cut the page into bordered printable pages. It takes a while, but RCPowers does it this way because it gives the best quality.

13. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

14. Incisal

Incisal Ace Pilot

Lukwarm,
    I downloaded f-18, f117,mig 29 v3 plans and took them to kinkos. They said it secured and I could not get them printed. Any thought or help? I don't care to work off tiled plans. Thanks. This has not happened before.

15. hanggar_mungil

hanggar_mungil Rookie

light work but need much patience.

i print in A4 size, cut every border and join one by one printed paper.

16. kenndor

kenndor Rookie

I live in Hawaii where we get constant winds (15-20 mph is pretty "normal") and most of the time bigger is better. If I scaled up the prints, what should I expect in changes in performance of the model (assuming I can pick out a motor that will match the new scaled up model). I don't have a lot of flight time on the F35 I built, but I managed to keep from crashing using a flight stabilizer. I just finished building the F18, but I will hold off flying it until I get more time on the F35. My motor got very hot on my first flight, and I got some suggestions for things to try before my next test. Because of the wind I had full throttle most of the time. I have as much fun building as I do flying, so I am about to build the F117-this might be the one to scale up if the flight performance isn't changed too radically. As soon as I learn how, I will post some pictures

HiFlite likes this.
  17. viper5zero

viper5zero Rookie

Evening all,
    So I am having issues printing the F-22 V3 and F-35 V3 from my local Staples. Our Staples has a Xerox 6204 Wide Format Printer. Every time they tried to print it, the first page on the file would print blank and the second page would print as advertised. So after about 4-5 attempts with each file, I was not able to get it to work. The Staples employee went on to say this is a known problem they have had with that printer. Thinking that the problem was isolated with them, I called the another Staples and sent the emailed them the files to try it out. Same deal, at two stores.

I've considered trying the Kinkos, but they have quoted me a price of $9.50 per print. That's steep enough for me to explore some other options while Staples is only charging $3.00 - 4.00 per print.

I'm wondering if the problem is because the in the V3 files, the first and second pages are different sizes. Would it be possible for you guys to send me the sheets for each where you only have one page in each file?
    Thanks,
    John

18. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

Hello John,
    The PDF files have a lock on them, some wide format printers are known to have issues with the PDF lock.

Send us a support request and we'll send you unlocked versions of the V3 PDF files. That should make printing them easier.

viper5zero likes this.
  19. SaffaInLondon

SaffaInLondon Rookie

Hello all
    I had the untiled PDF printed on a big plotter and used size 0 paper and then printed on 100% scale, but it came out 10% bigger. Not sure if the motor I got will fly a 10% bigger plane and the motor mount will have to be scaled down. Too much complication me thinks, so I need to have another go. Any thoughts?

20. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

10% isn't much. Which plane is it and what is your power setup?

Javitomcat likes this.