Help Needed With Servo Wire Polarity

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by WayneByerlyJr, May 11, 2012.

1. WayneByerlyJr

WayneByerlyJr Cadet

I've built a foam plane from Lowes green 1/2" foam board. A kind of flying wing ... which will require ailevators ... and my radio does not do mixing ... so i bought a $14 mixer ... which tells me to observe and follow polarity ... but it doesn't say which wire is which.

I bought some servo extensions, whose wires are black/red/white, so it is easy to follow polarity there. But most servo wires are brown/red/orange. and the only thing i know about these things is to plug them in so that the brown wire is at the back of the receiver.

So what is what with these brown/red/orange wires? I NEED SOME HELP HERE WITH WIRE
    POLARITY ON THE BROWN/RED/ORANGE WIRE HARNESSES PLEASE ... before i just plug in
    the battery to see **IF** I've got it hooked up right ... and MAYBE burn up my mixer AND
    my servo's AND my receiver.

------------------------------------------------

What i've got in this plane ...
    $14 mixer (graysonhobby)
    $20 5 pack of servos (graysonhobby) but only using 3
    $1 6" servo extension (graysonhobby)
    $21 40A ESC (graysonhobby)

for the above order (which contained another $6 of stuff) graysonhobby.com charges $5 for
    shipping ... AND IT GETS HERE THE NEXT DAY!!! First Class USPS (Georgia to Tennessee). Earlier
    in the day, an Amazon vendor TRIED to charge me $15 in shipping for about $12 of connectors
    (XT60). graysonhobby charges HONEST prices for shipping. and in addition to arriving in a single
    day, it came packed in a box that was sized appropriately for the contents.

$? control horns from amazon
    $8 2200mah 11.1v battery (hobbyking)
    $24 micro jet v3 2200kv motor (graysonhobby)
    $16 lightweight machined aluminum motor mounting system. (smallpartscnc.com)

smallpartscnc.com has honest shipping prices, quick response, etc., etc., (PLEASE
    go see what he's got ... you WONT be sorry) This motor mount that has FOUR
    different mounting options ... base plate mounts to airplane ... 'MotorMount'
    mounts to motor and then THAT assembly screws to base plate on airplane ...
    a WONDERFULLY versatile system that i just absolutely love!!!

radio & receiver (4ch) from a Dynam skybus
    $12 foam board (lowes)

I guess i've got about $125 in this plane ... and haven't flown it yet. I'm waiting on XT-60 connectors to arrive so that I can replace all the banana connectors that I've pulled off of my batteries. I've heard that the XT-60 connectors will handle about 65A ... where the banana plugs WOULD NOT.

2. 63 nova

63 nova Airman

the orange wire is the same as your white wire (signal wire) the red wire is the same as the red wire (power) and the brown wire is the same as the black wire (negative -)

3. Flightman

Flightman Ace Pilot

Color follows polarity.
    Darkest wire (Black, brown) is negitive.
    Then the light color (The middle wire is always positive)
    And the lightest color (White) is the signal wire.

4. WayneByerlyJr

WayneByerlyJr Cadet

THIS is what I was looking for ... as long as it's correct ... i ALREADY know about polarity of the BLACK/RED/WHITE wire harness! Thanks.

5. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Ace Pilot

Seems the easiest way to figure out the colors between the two woud be to plug in the extension or mixer and note how the colors line up. :) Or is this the kind of extension you have to solder?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

6. WayneByerlyJr

WayneByerlyJr Cadet

NO ... THEY DON'T LINE UP ... THERE'S no KEYING!!! If you EXAMINE a servo connector, you will note that you are able to plug it in, in either orientation. it's just 3 wires in a straight line ... there isn't any keying at all. it is perfectly possible to plug a servo into your receiver (or anything else that you would plug a servo into) the WRONG WAY!

The ONLY reason i even mentioned the "Extensions" was to say that they are color coded differently, with a red wire, a black wire and a white wire, and that the color coding of THAT harness was perfectly visible.

But the MIXER plugs into the receiver IN PLACE OF the servos ... and then the OTHER end of the "GWS Mixer" plugs into the servos themselves ... thereby MIXING the signals of the aileron and rudder, giving you AILEVATORS or ELEVONS ... and there are NO instructions with the mixer except to say "1. Always be sure to observe the proper polarity on the connector pins and receiver sockets. Please install this device as the diagram shown." ... actual verbiage ... the diagram is monochromatic and makes NO indication of polarity.

I'm including a jpg file which is a partial scan of the instruction sheet. Note that it is monochromatic. Also note that on the output or RIGHT side of the mixer the three output wires are stacked up on top of each other ... both servos plug in one atop the other but on separate sets of wires. You can see the polarity markings on the right ... but there's NO color. Hence my question.

SO ... because a servo has NO keying on its plugs (neither does the receiver, which is where the servos plug into and neither does the "Mixer") and because you have the ability to plug in a servo inappropriately, AND because the 'GWS Mixer' instructions are MONOCHROMATIC ... AND because it says 'observe polarity' ... I wrote to ask what was the polarity of the Brown/Red/Orange wires of a servo wiring harness.

BTW ... I have NEVER seen servo extension cables be of a type to have to solder them in. the only ones i have EVER seen, had plugs on BOTH ends ... AND they have NO keying either.

I hope that I have made myself plainer this time. I've been told before that I have that problem ... not always making myself perfectly clear in EVERY situation ... particularly technical situations.

Attached Files:

7. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Ace Pilot

Um, yes, they are keyed. Examine the plug. One side has the corners beveled. Granted, it's not impossible to plug them in backwards if you are trying very hard. If the socket on the extension or receiver is not keyed (and my Spektrum receiver is keyed) that is the only reason you would need to worry. The cheapo receivers are not always keyed. Futaba servos have a key sticking out of one side so they are impossible to plug in backwards in a Futaba receiver. Using them with a JR-style receiver requires trimming that key off. Other than that, the pin layout is identical! You can plug a brown/red/orange servo into a black/red/white extension and vice-versa and it will work all day long.

8. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

Hello Wayne, I use the GWS mixers and the only thing that happens when the polarity is reversed is the servo doesn't work. Then you just unplug the servo, flip the connector around, and plug it back in the other way and it works fine.

Another words, I've NEVER fried a GWS mixer or a servo plugged into the mixer by incorrect polarity on either end.

9. WayneByerlyJr

WayneByerlyJr Cadet

You're RIGHT ... Servo connectors ARE keyed ... sort of.

I'm 59 years old (also disabled for the last 16 years from a motorcycle wreck) and my eyesight is NOT what it used to be ... I just cannot see these 'bevels' bare eyed. So I get out my magnifying glass (that has a small spot near the handle that is EXTRA magnification) to look at these servo cable ends ... and you are absolutely (as I am sure you know) right ... there is an ever so SLIGHT bevel on the plug at the end of the cable.

But here is something that irks me a little ... the receptor male pins on my receiver have no beveled slot to put these beveled plugs into. They're simply male pins that stick out in the air ... with only a raised sidewall of plastic that surrounds the whole SET of pins ... rendering keying of the female connector moot. Fortunately for me, I am aware of how to plug the servos into the receiver. Neither does the GWS Vtail-mixer have keyed slots. But the polarity on the output IS marked.

So ... I've learned SEVERAL things here. For which I tender sincere gratitude for the information and respect for your knowledge. 1) Servo wire connectors ARE beveled (be it EVER so SLIGHTLY), although 2) Receivers (and GWS VTail-Mixers) appear to handle this differently according to the manufacturer, and 3) the brown wire of the Brown/Red/Orange wiring harnesses is Negative and the Red is Positive and the Orange is Signal.

The last of which is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks again.

Be CAREFUL while on the street ... I would hate for ANYONE to wind up like me!

10. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Ace Pilot

I kind of sounded like a jerk in that post - I'm sorry about that.

Brown = black sounds easy to remember. To be honest I've not given the colors much thought as I've relied on the bevel.

11. WayneByerlyJr

WayneByerlyJr Cadet

no, i didn't think you sounded like a jerk ... you were simply stating the CORRECT info ... for which i am ENTIRELY grateful ... Proverbs 1:5 A wise man will hear, and increase learning ... so thank you. i'll keep the black/brown info in mind ... that bevel is just TOO small and that makes it TOO easy to plug it in the wrong way.

btw:
    LOVE!! the GWS Mixer ... mind-numbingly simple to use, and just faultess ... a bargain at any price, but @ $14 it's a STEAL.