HELP needed on plane!

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by MyAKAndI, Aug 1, 2013.

1. MyAKAndI

MyAKAndI Rookie

So I've created an airframe that resembles a cessna kind of, its made of cardboard (I've flown cardboard before) and it's about 18" from nose to tail. Wing span is about 26". Wing has a KF airfoil (dual step)

The problem?

well I only have two servos :L

Will Elevons be OK with this model if all the weight of the components is shifted more toward the CG? the model with electronics ways around 650g. I don't do aerobatics or anything, and it'd be nice to know if I can not spend more money and time waiting for parts to arrive to my house (the local hobbyshop charges 15 bucks for hxt900's, not cool)

The elevons would be about 12 inches long and 1.5 inches thick or whatever is found appropriate.

(Will post picture as attachment)

Attached Files:

2. TYOHO

TYOHO Cadet

You could do ailerons and elevator, that's a very common set up.
    I don't think you would have very good pitch authority with just elevons and that conventional tail layout.

3. OGHarpax

OGHarpax Airman

Looking at your picture, your horizontal stab is kinda small as is. Just elevons back there, you're going to have a very hard time flying it.

4. BTick21

BTick21 Airman

Elevator rudder...

5. MyAKAndI

MyAKAndI Rookie

I found another servo that used to go into a losi mini T :D But, it has four wires on it instead of 3. A orange, red, white, and black wire. Could I use it if I seperated one of the wires out of it? I'm sure the black and red is for power, and orange is for data, but the white wire i'm not sure of.

And the stabilizer is a bit small now that i look at it, I'll have to do some changing.

6. MyAKAndI

MyAKAndI Rookie

Looked it up, it won't work :L

7. MyAKAndI

MyAKAndI Rookie

What if I used elevon's like how they would be on a delta wing, like on-wing Elevons instead of on the horizontal stabilizer?

8. TYOHO

TYOHO Cadet

That's what I thought you were talking about in the OP, and what I was suggesting was that instead of elevons on the wing, you could run both ailerons off one servo and use the second servo on an elevator.
    BTick21 is right though, the simplest set up for 2 servos would be rudder and elevator.

9. MyAKAndI

MyAKAndI Rookie

How would i run both ailerons off 1 servo?

10. MyAKAndI

MyAKAndI Rookie

NVM, I figured it out I believe!.

11. TYOHO

TYOHO Cadet

photo16.jpg

BTick21 likes this.
  12. BTick21

BTick21 Airman

The ailerons are close enough to the cg that they would act more like spoilerons than elevons, so that wouldnt work. in response to your ailerons on one servo question, get a double sided servo arm, mount it in the center of the wing but in front of the ailerons, put a pushrod on each side of the arm one leading to each aileron. the arm will turn centrally, causing one pushrod to move forward and one backward. ta da! one servo ailerons. Edit: TYOHO posted a picture of exactly while I was typing my response. so, what he said.

13. Hobby-Lobby Little Dude

Hobby-Lobby Little Dude Cadet

Just do a simple elevator and rudder. That's your best bet unless you really want the ailerons you could so the design that TYOHO shows you. Best of luck, Frank.