Gyros

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by JTiger, Jun 27, 2018.

1. JTiger

JTiger Airman

I've been trying to find an inexpensive onboard gyro for putting on my RCP planes but I can't seem to find any. I've searched the forum and found references to the Esky 0704 (discontinued) and the OrangeRX RX3S 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer (out of stock). Are there other gyros out there I haven't discovered? What do you guys use?

bimoadiprakoso and Sterling101 like this.
  2. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

JT, Eagle Tree Systems makes some good, fairly inexpensive gyros. If you do a search on this forum you'll find pages and pages of threads on the subject also. Good luck in your search.

3. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Don`t use Orange!!!!

4. I believe Bimo has been using some Eagle ones lately but I don't remember the model numbers , could send him a PM and ask him.

bimoadiprakoso and JTiger like this.
  5. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Eagle tree Guardian is an excellant gyro with a good price. This will allow you to set up 2D/3D with the use of a computer. Also, if you are going to do FPV, can be used to stabilize the plane or camera.

Only disadvantage of this or most gyros, only allows you to use with servos, not motors. Need to use flight control board to do motors.

Suggest you go to Eagle tree's site and download the manual so at least you can gain background knowledge of how/what a gyro can do.
    That should help you make a decision. Have had the Guardian for over 5 years with no problems.

bimoadiprakoso, JTiger and Wildthing like this.
  6. trying2fly

trying2fly Top Gun

Headsup RC sells a good one and very fairly priced at 22.95 (Hobby Eagle AL3) and Hobbypartz sells the one I like and used for 19.95/Hobbypartz 3 axis gyro. chas

bimoadiprakoso, Wildthing and JTiger like this.
  7. thunder

thunder Top Gun

You listed the Esky 0704 [ there is one for sale on ebay ] so my question is,are you looking for full plane stabilization or just the aelerons/wings ? I have a gyro on the ailerons of all my non depron planes,it makes landing in wind a breeze lol

bimoadiprakoso, Wildthing and JTiger like this.
  8. JTiger

JTiger Airman

I'm more interested in stabilizing the entire plane. I found the Esky in some in some threads where people were using multiple ones to achieve full stabilization.

These are exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks!

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  9. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Hi JTiger. Kindly let me add one more personal experience with gyros. Thanks Wildthing ;)

I personally have one dualsky FC151 and a bunch of Hobbyeagle A3 Super 2 as well as Super 3 (the latest model). My favorite is Hobbyeagle A3 Super 3 because it fits my current and possibly future needs.

When flying parkjets, I love to have independent control surfaces (2 ailerons and 2 elevons). Major gyros only support:
    1. single aileron channel with Y-harness and single elevator
    2. dual ailerons channel with single elevator

So, my requirements for dual ailerons and dual elevons can only be answered by some expensive gyros like Cortex by Bavarian Demon. It's so fortunate that my friend introduced me to Hobbyeagle A3 Super 2, that gives answer to my needs. It's around US$ 35 on banggood with coupon. Then came out Super 3 from the same manufacturer. It support S-BUS so, wiring is minimal. Other supports and features for my plane are simply unbelievable. It even works best with 3d planes to have fun with it. Imagine if you wanna perform knife edge with one switch and then all you need is adjust the throttle with no need to play the ailerons and elevator sticks :D

So, I've been super happy with Hobbyeagle A3 Super 3. It comes with choice for programming box and without. I may suggest not getting the programming box as we will have the identical setting ability by using notebook/computer. All cables are provided. I just needed to download the software from Hobbyeagle website and that's it. My consideration is the programming box is need to have initial setup. Once done, it will perform just as its name: programming box, kept inside a box :D

When flying I mostly switch the gyro off. I need the Hobbyeagle to become an insurance should I do something stupid when flying, and by activating a switch my plane will fly level if it has enough altitude to recover without me getting panic :D

So, hope this will help. I'm no expert and still trying to learn many unknown things from the gurus in this lovely forum to shape my knowledge.

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

jimbosflyin, JTiger and Wildthing like this.
  10. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

I have the orange 3 axis stabilizer and a lemon version. I've been using the orange for years in a twisted hobbies crack beaver. Zero issues. It is a super light plane, so it helps tremendously in the wind...I haven't tried it with an elevon only plane/jet though. I like it because it is all in one, receiver and stabilizer. Less components saves weight. Let us know what you go with and provide a review/video...I attached the last video I made with the beaver and the orange...it is locked in and smooth

11. JTiger

JTiger Airman

Is the Super 3 very customizable programming wise? I'd like to be able to fly with elevons and flaperons and I know I could mix those using two simplet gyros with Y splitters. However, if the super 3 let's me do more of that with the programming that would be preferable.

12. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

have a look at this video mate.

13. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Could you explain a little more detail on how you want to use the gyro with the elevons and flaperons. Are you doing it together or do you want seperation by a switch or what?

My best setup is having leading edge flaps and rear flaps come down as I raise the nose of the plane to do landings in a STOL fashion. Gives a real steep angle. I then can shut flaps off and just have the leading edge come down to do tight turns.
    This system is designed for a fighter plane and the only way to control it is with a flight control board. Gyros just can't sperate functions like that.

Best I could do with a gyro is to stop motion in one direction(wanted flaps only, not spoiler) so there was no motion of the aileron above the wing.

bimoadiprakoso and JTiger like this.
  14. JTiger

JTiger Airman

Ideally, I'd like to be able to have standard elevons plus flaperons which move down when I hit the flap switch on my Tx. One servo on each control surface.

I recall reading in the instructions for the HobbyEagle A3-L stating that you weren't supposed to use the delta or V-Tail from the Tx because the stabilizer does the mixing itself. If I'm reading this right, I could use two A3-L's to achieve my elevon/flaperon setup. One to mix/stabilize the elevons and the other the flaperons onboard (also using a Y-splitter to get the unmixed aileron channel to both gyros).

(btw, "gyro" here refers to the 3-axis or 6-axis flight stabilizers such as the HobbyEagle mentioned above)

Bimo, from what you said above I think the super 3 is capable of this in a single module?

And thanks for the video Wildthing, it was very clear and helpful

15. I can't take the credit for the video, that was BB56. ;)

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  16. JTiger

JTiger Airman

Oops, knew I was going to get something wrong somewhere. Thanks BB56!

17. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Hi JTiger. Apologies for the late reply.

Yes, with A3 Super 2 or Super 3, you could achieve the setup wanna have

It's pretty much my favorite flight stabilization systems. I don't think that I would look for any other if my requirement doesn't change a real fun to play with

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

Wildthing, JTiger and jimbosflyin like this.
  18. JTiger

JTiger Airman

Awesome, thanks so much to all you guys for sharing your knowledge and expertise!

Wildthing likes this.