Got a new toy...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Sterling101, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

After getting a lot of interest in the photo's I took at the weekend at the first major airshow of the year with my phone I decided to go mad and buy myself a decent camera and zoom lens to get a bit more into it and kind of get back to when I used to do a lot of photography as a teenager.

So, after a quick scout around the interwebs I was the proud owner of a second hand Canon EOS 300D and an additional 300mm telephoto lens! All seemed pretty good taking a few shots around the garden.
    So last night we did a quick trip up to the home of the quick reaction crews and Battle of Britain Memorial Flight at RAF Coningsby and was rewarded with quite a few Typhoon's flying around and an unexpected display from Spitfire PS-915!

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

Now those images had to be cleaned up somewhat as I found the images had what is best described as "spider web" markings at the edges. You can see them clearly on the original image...

IMG_0128.JPG

After doing some research this morning it turns out that's actually fungus growing on the CCD sensor! Pretty much a terminal diagnosis so that camera has now been returned and I've gone and bought a brand new Canon EOS 1300D which takes the same lenses I bought for the other camera.
    Now hoping the weather works out well enough for the RC airshow tomorrow - have my fingers crossed that's for sure!!

2. Nice pictures, never heard of fungus growing in a camera, learn something new every day. I should pull my fancy Canon and see if anyone would take it on trade as it takes film but I have lenses of all types for it.

Sterling101 likes this.
  3. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Your pics are very good, fast moving objects are very difficult to catch with a 300mm. I take pics of F1 cars and RC planes at the club, it's not easy.

Cheers.

Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.
  4. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Plenty of practice required still but I'm getting there.
    They were the two best shots out of 150 I took so the odds are still slightly against me ;)

It's a shame they don't do an upgrade that you can put in instead of the film. Would bring a lot of old cameras backntot life!
    Mind you, there's a bit of a resurgence in film again it seems to you might be better holding on and see if the prices go up Jeff ;)

Wildthing and bogusbandit56 like this.
  5. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I`m sure after the resurgence of vinyl records proper cameras will have a come back.:)
    Digital music is absolute crap, death to the CD:mad:

FlyteTime, Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.
  6. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

I do like one thing with the digital SLR over film - it doesn't cost the earth to make a mess of photos!
    I remember getting a right bollocking once off my dad for wasting a 36 exposure film trying a new filter. They were rather "artistic" you might say, but not really worth the cost!
    Much easier than waiting for a dark night to black everything out and getting the enlarger going in the kitchen with all the chemicals etc too - although I'd like to have a go with an actual film and try a comparison at some point...

7. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Amen brother! Digital is awful. No warmth at all, just sterile. I have a real nice collection of LP's and a really nice turntable. I can tell the difference in quality like night and day. I picked up a vintage Marantz turntable that is sweet and I also have a tube amplifier which makes them sound even better! As you probably know, more and more artists are releasing new music on vinyl.

8. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Enjoy your new digital SLR Sterling. How many megapixels is that bad boy? I used to have a Pentax DLSR that I loved. Taking photos is such a great hobby. I would get in my car and just drive around looking for photo opportunities. I still have a pretty nice Konica film camera. Now you got me thinking about breaking it out and taking some shots!

9. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Good luck with your new toy at the airshow buddy. Hey, that Eurofighter looks just like Bimo's plane. You sure he didn't sneak over to visit you, lol. :D

10. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Don't think so.

I have been a long time photographer, and there is no comparison between my older pics and those I get since 2005 (never jpg straight from camera).

Many professional photographers (even art oriented) have been asked if they would come back to film, they answer has been a resounding no.

For music, the importance of the device that converts digital to analog is often neglected.

My wife used to connect her old Ipod to the music system, quality was really so so. Her Ipod died, she uses now a second hand high end Iphone, and the result playing the same digital files is totally different.

I live near (too near) a very high end music dealer, I heard there top music system (above 100.000 €) and CD sound marvellous.

A 100 $ CD player is not the adequate tool to judge a CD recording (some CD are awful, other are very good).

Cheers.

11. I dug my camera out a few months ago, it still had film in it and it was almost full so I snapped off the last remaining pictures and took it in for developing. Developing was another story also, took 3 weeks (use to get them back in a hour) , had to show the clerks how to fill out the envelope and price was way up there compared to years ago.
    The film did develop, little darkish though but they were from a Christmas about 9 years ago. :D :D I still have 7 new rolls of film, expired 5 years ago ;)

Sterling101 and Lgel like this.
  12. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Photography has changed and the alterations you can make to pictures in suites is remarkable so old film will not make a resurgence, but I`m sure there are plenty of old school photographers that still use a dark room:)
    I still don`t think that CD`s have the heart and soul and depth of warmth that vinyl has and I don`t have that sort of money to spend on music.
    I never listen to music on the radio as reception is still to poor.

Sterling101 and Lgel like this.
  13. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

;);););)

Sterling101 likes this.
  14. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Those pics were on the old camera so only 6.3 mega pixel. The new camera on the other had has 18 and after shooting off 600 snaps today at the model airshow I'm pretty happy with the results!
    Still need to get used to the settings but for the most part I'm impressed with what I managed to capture.

Here's a link to a gallery of the best shots I took today...

https://www.irista.com/gallery/ehscia4naote

All RC except for the Pitts special and the clipped wing Mk XIV Spitfire :)

15. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Nice photo's of some nice rc airplanes!

Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.