FT Explorer ... Depron style.

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by TomMonton, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Haha Crazy but fun!;)
    OK, anyway. I have to take it easy, haven't made any FPV trip yet.
    I purchased a 5.8 system, unused so far... I am quite busy with all these new foam jets entering the 2016 arena. I wonder how I will be able to keep up with the new V5's coming out in a few days...:eek:

Thanks malukk! for the links, will be useful to me when time has come.:)
    [​IMG]

Baufritz96, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  2. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I finally flew this today for the first time. Nothing to report either....incident free. I will need to brace up the wing once more due to rubber band bites. Get the brown paper out again.

I am impressed, once balanced it will fly soft and lazy over head all day long. I was yanking it around a little while, I wanted to make sure it was going to hold together under stress , but what really impressed me most was battery life.

I know I could get 20+ minutes off a 2200 3s battery if I were to just go up and drift around nicely.

I still have a little bit of lurching going on if I try to float it in slowly telling me i still have yet to find a good trim but wow. She'll do everything I intended it for.

...and this was only the prototype
    ... well done Kk

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    malukk and Wildthing like this.
  3. Great to know that all went well Tom!
    I am using the tiger motor 1100kv which is uber efficient and I am getting close to 27min flight time with 3.3-3.4V/cell left over which is fantastic!
    With FPV gear on it, I am getting about 15min+ flight time...

If the rubber bands are still digging, I believe it must be more prominent on the aft region of the wing, correct?
    Instead of more brown paper treatment, what I have done is took a piece of credit card and I've bent that to conform to wing edges and have simply stuck on using hot glue... This works very very good and all you need is small pieces good enough to cover the edges to protect from rubber bands...

My thoughts on this plane and what I would like to improve upon:

This plane sometimes has a mind of its own (I'll explain why below) which I hate...
    I have now moved the CG further back from stock to the center of spars which has made it a little sporty - personally did not like that for FPV, was hoping for a relaxed flight... This is probably due to the motor angle and it always wants to dip... Did you find this too, Tom?

Couple of things that I think are going on...

1) Need to brace the ailerons with either a spar or brown paper treatment as the movement is not equal edge to edge - only full deflection where the control horn is mounted; towards the edges, not so much...

2) I absolutely do not like the tail without any bracing, it flexes in the air up and down as well as it twists so....
    Need to do brown paper treatment or simply put CF STRIPs and not spar to get rid of the flexing issue...

Any more improvements/thoughts from you Tom or anyone else who has built this plane?

Wildthing and TomMonton like this.
  4. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Yes...even with depron the tail boom was a little flex'y under load. It wants to twist there.

Tag item 2) That was what I meant by lurching. It normally represents being tail heavy but I'm not, reference the cog. Then moving the battery "make it tail heavy" back it seemed to level off better. Tough to figure.

I think you're right in assuming the horizontal balance is a little askew? I wanted to move the battery under the default fuse plate to see if that had any effect.

Reference the rubber band tracks, that was my bad. I didn't lay out enough paper to begin with. They sorta migrated to the softer regions ... that's on me

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  5. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I do however...have an fpv pod design that I know will work well.

I had one of those moments of clarity and grasped onto something that makes sense. Give me a couple days to slice it up and I'll send you a photo.

6. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

This is where I'm at currently.

6mm depron on the bottom and 6mm mpf for a top skin. I added some 1x3 cf strips to tighten things up a little.

The cf and control horn are epoxied together and haven't suffered any worry there at all. Nice crisp response.

Then added a shim to hold it square on the fuse a little easier.

[​IMG]

7. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

You'll have to forgive me... I haven't gotten anywhere on the fpv pod yet but I did setup a simple stabilizer ☺

I needed another flat surface and well...had to make one. So I essentially carved out a little dresser drawer to stick it into and yet, still be able to get ahold of it easy enough to plug/unplug and reach the gain adjustments.

Good to go.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    Wildthing, Airflow and malukk like this.
  8. Very nice!
    I have a cc3d board laying around which I am thinking of putting it on...
    But I think I am leaning towards my cargo to be setup as fpv platform with all the bells and whistles (pixhawk controller with gps) and automated flights and more...
    Just need to find some time to do all that

Wildthing and Airflow like this.
  9. The cargo in the background has the upgraded wheels yet?

Wildthing likes this.
  10. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Ha... yes I did in fact. Four inch was just too clowny for my eye. I did go from 3" to 3.5" and a slight narrower track. I did a 1/4" lift kit on her

I hope I just didn't create a lift issue on take off this way. I doubt it but we'll have to see what happens.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    Nightswatch and Wildthing like this.
  11. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

You know it's good that you mentioned this..

I thought the very same thing. I have a little CC3D atom board that I thought would be the answer. By the time I threaded that baseline setup in...there really isn't that much room to expand from there. It's just a touch too narrow for all the added effects. Things like gps, current, a hud board, modem board ...it got busy in there real quick.

I will agree with you, keep it on the simpler side of fpv with this specific frame.

...and explains why I went ahead with setting up the basic stabilizer and just fly it for grins.

12. I think its going to be fine...
    Doesnt look very odd though...
    Let me know how these work out?

TomMonton and Wildthing like this.
  13. You 2 are getting way to complicated, but march on . :)

TomMonton and malukk like this.
  14. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Okay some more finishing touch.

It flies all well and good in its default setup. I've added the basic stabilizer and control surfaces are leaning the right way when enabled.

Telemetry right now is on radio to include flight battery voltage and receive RSSI values. A fight controller is something to ponder down the road but eh ... That's probably a little over the top right now.

Now I need some eyes.

I poked a hole on top and stuck together some more foam things. About as simple as you can get. The tx is held there by a Lars zip tie mount.

Flight battery is on top as shown and the video battery will be mounted underneath. I will have to cut off some of the boom support to make that fit. Then epoxied the boom into place so it's more of a perma-mount thaang going forward.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  15. Perfection.

TomMonton likes this.
  16. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

We'll see...

I'm curious if she will run out any better with a little more weight. Unloaded it wanted to lurch a little on turns ... jump out and climb. I feed a squirt of down, it wobbles off vertical plane some and settles in again ....we hunt one another sometimes for that glide line.

17. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I've added a stabilizer and a cam now but the big heavy ride is anew when running a 2200ma flight battery and a 1000ma for video.

I flew just fine in fact and I'm very close to a good balance. With the bigger battery it will fly indefinitely if you manage the winds right.

Being heavier does come with its own quirks though mind you. This annoying tail wag has suddenly become a very real issue. I about cut my own tail off coming in.

Trust I'll be adding some ply along the sides to try and tighten this up.
    [​IMG]

Wildthing and Baufritz96 like this.
  18. I myself am going to add some Cf flat sheets to stiffen up the tail...

I am also thinking to go with a 3 blade 8x6 prop...
    That will give it a lot more clearance too...

19. Baufritz96

Baufritz96 Ace Pilot

Get some Cloverleaf antennas, you'll thank me later :p
    Very nice build!

20. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I have.. this was my first run fly fully loaded and was concentrating on getting it to fly nice.

I normally tac the plastic cover to the top of the fuse when I'm finished. It looks more unassuming that way
    ?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    Wildthing likes this.