FT Explorer ... Depron style.

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by TomMonton, Feb 21, 2016.

1. While Tom tested the staples' white banner paper, I tested the gift wrapping paper from $tree store...
    Grab a paper as white as possible or if with designs, pick one with light colors - the other side of the paper is always white...
    I had tried this method before with elmers glue and now with minwax as now it dries faster and is still light weight...

Results are very good! It dries almost 80-90% hardness as the brown paper... To compare white gift wrapping paper to brown paper, its like comparing MPF (or slightly better) to depron...

Now, I used the paper from $tree so I am sure there must be better quality papers (may be a little thick) available out there that would do a much better job and give comparable results as brown paper...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  2. What about that glass fiber cloth, I never have used it myself.

jonathan0691 and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  3. Glass fiber cloth can be used but you have to use resin epoxy with it - makes it heavy! It also wont be as hard as the brown paper plus it takes a long time to dry and is messy to work with...

This technique is cheap, easy and very good to make your foam board strong, stiff and waterproof yet LIGHTWEIGHT - almost makes the foam board balsa :)

It also sands very well as paper is made of wood... This technique is also good as the treatment dries in 20-30min and is ready to sand... Additionally you can now use paints like rustoleum which would eat the foam otherwise - big advantage!

4. Guys, here is how strong the foam becomes:

These are a couple tests with battery weights...

This is with 4x 5500mah batteries, 1x 3500mah battery and it hardly bends...

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

And.....

This is with:

4x 5500mah batteries
    1x 3500mah battery
    1x 2450mah battery
    5x 2200mah batteries (1x 4s)
    3x 1300mah battery

FullSizeRender.jpg

and it bends only slightly, granted the size of foam is small but still...

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

5. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

My white craft paper idea was a bust.

Evidently the surface is too close a grain for poly to soak all the way through. After tearing it away you can see the inside is still ...nice dry soft paper yet.

This would also explain the soft plastic quality I tried to explain earlier too.

Moral of the story: Craft paper really isn't anything more than a slightly heavier mill copy/printer paper. Avoid using it for a foam laminate.
    [​IMG]

6. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Okay I'm convinced. .. I'm moving over to wrapping paper

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  7. At least go with foil type, it's shinny. :)

8. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Bling bling!

Sent from my LG-F320K using Tapatalk

jonathan0691 likes this.
  9. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I am impressed malukk. .. your wrapping paper idea works VERY well. I think we may have found our new medium.

Now to find something without all that holiday goof printed on it.

I can use that roll of white paper I bought as a drop cloth when I start painting.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  10. Great Tom! How did you like it in comparison with brown paper? I think after overnight-24h drying it gets it maximum strength...

Hope the stores have plain white paper if not should be available online

11. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

It still doesn't have the same surface tension as brown but that may be because the brown is a much heavier mill of paper ?

You can still poke a fingernail into it and it still "may" dent slightly against a rubber band but given all the pros ....

Lighter
    Flexes well. .evenly under load.
    Easy to find
    Affordable
    Molds to shape well.

I think it's all worth any of differences to the contrary. The more I mess with this idea, the more I'm liking it... and I'm going forward with it.

I'm calling it a win ...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  12. Great! Now all you gotta do then is mix some talc in your minwax and use that to apply the coat which will add to the strength of it considerably!

13. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Now that this has been settled. ...I just need to remake the wing section again after goofing up the first one.

6mm depron on the bottom and 6mm MPF for the top skin.

Depron was just too stiff to get a good top fold and I ended up snapping the one corner. ...argh.

14. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Exactly .. tighten up the poly a little more.

On it

15. That's quite the little science project going on here. :)

16. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Easter Sunday and I had to rake, pick up sticks and mow lawn today ... and tonight it rains.

I kept the lines real simple this time, I just want to see it up in the air well enough to know if I like it.

The color is "new shamrock". I thought it sounded about right given the time of year. Now I just need to paint the middle part.
    [​IMG]

Wildthing, bimoadiprakoso and malukk like this.
  17. It looks really nice! I flew mine and almost crashed it at the launch... Launching this plane is definitely a little tricky!
    Will post up a video...

18. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

For me, it's gonna be a brand new hand launch experience. Think I'm gonna learning first by watching your video, malukk :D

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  19. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Well. ..what did you think ?

Once settled in how does she fly ?

Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  20. Well, I had to max out the throws on elevator, it wasn't good enough... I put z-bends on both ends so obviously couldn't adjust mechanically... Increased the throws digitally and it did fine... Initially I also had it just a little nose heavy which surprisingly I did not like it at all... Next time, I would put it right on spot or even move it ~0.5cm back? I think most people had problems balancing it as it turns out tail heavy but in my case it was nose heavy...

Anyways, the key is to hold the bottom of the fuselage of this plane right in-line with the marked CG point - hold it up and give full throttle... If the nose wants to dip then here are some things to keep in mind:
    1) launch it at an upward angle...
    2) do not go full throttle on launch; ~3/4th should be good - more thrust will make its nose dip...
    3) Effect is more prominent if you have it nose heavy - this was my case in first launch...
    4) may be have a switch for slight up-elevator only for launching...

Tom, good thing you put a wooden ruler in the center for spar. With just the foam spar on mine, the wing flex was crazy - I did go full throttle on it but the wings felt like they would fold up and the whole plane would come down. I am going to put some CF wing struts for sure...

Overall, I think this is more like a sport glider and I like it.... I was even able to catch some thermals, I think, :confused: and it just did not want to come down so that was quite impressive... Doesnt have any bad stall tendencies... It was definitely worth the build... Got to do some fine tuning and this can do a lot better!
    Finally, I am thinking of building the other wing for this as well because I want this to slow down even more! We'll see how this goes first after all the adjustments... i so want to do FPV flying with this... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.