FT Explorer ... Depron style.

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by TomMonton, Feb 21, 2016.

1. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Things are slowing down again while I work on the spars and line up for the wing fold.

The outside spars will have 1x3mm cf strip to help hold a good shape. The inside spar will have a yard stick with the center mark whittled thin enough to bend slightly when you add that final spraang in the wing span, tip to tip.

[​IMG]

bimoadiprakoso, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  2. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

uploadfromtaptalk1457061073375.jpg [​IMG]

Everything is only a dry fit yet, I'm just trying to get myself lined up with things.

I liked this idea courtesy Mr. Malukk. Setup for a controlled break over hinge with the yard stick. Then tar that in place once you have your angle set right... use this for a little stiffer spine.

Neat idea Kk. .... I'm on it

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  3. bimoadiprakoso and TomMonton like this.
  4. That should do it Tom! Looks like the score is good enough to fold the wing...
    I always think the right thing to do but then I also like to push things to limit and so decided not to put the stick and test the strength of foam, lol....
    We'll see how it holds up hehe o_O

5. Had some time last night so wife and I decided to paint it together and have a nice time... :)

After my "tiger-print" paint scheme on Mig29v4, we wanted to do more paint schemes similar to that (inspired by nature)... :rolleyes:
    So, we went with "Honeycomb" style this time and here is how it came out:

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

Team-work always pays off :D

But wait.... Its not completely done yet as we are planning to paint the bottom of this as well - I see some of F-16s have a "thunderbird" pattern on the bottom which looks cool... This plane is a perfect candidate for a design like that on the bottom given its large wing and an extended tail soooo...
    we are thinking of a "bat-wing" or more like a "dragon-style" from game of thrones... It would look like a big bird flying when i take this plane up high :cool: Planing to get that done today, will post some picture later tonight...

Lastly, we may put a honeybee decal on the rudder - TBD...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  6. Looks awesome, your wife did a great job. :)

bimoadiprakoso and malukk like this.
  7. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

TM:
    Like the dual tail setup of FT.

Going to modify it so the fuse is much wider so

1) can get landing gear on of double wheels for stability.
    2) wide enough so the fuse has rear end door to drop stuff.
    3) can clear tail when I drop shuttle, glider and my rocket powered Bell X-1.

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  8. The huge C-119 cabbie that I built a while ago fits this description perfectly -
    1) I had a detachable tail, nose and had a core body as fuselage (although wings weren't detachable)...
    2) It was twin tail, loads and loads of cargo room as the fuselage was very very wide - could fit a small plane easily in there or even a couple, lol...
    3) could put landing gear on the motor nacelles - as they are very wide too! This would be a super stable platform...

IMG_2920.jpg

9. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

The nice thing about the FT is the fuse can be exchanged. Ding it enough, just replace it.

I want it to be slow and stable, so I want to to put 9 x 3/8 props and with a wider fuse, will need some redesign to have clearance. Others will need to fly my transport when I go for the shuttle or Bell X-1. The twin tail and boom should make it easy for anyone to fly it. I bet it will takeoff at 1/2 throttle.

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  10. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

awesoooommmme .........

Sent from my LG-F320K using Tapatalk

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  11. Alright, its looks cool and gentle on the top but the plan is to make it look mean from the bottom so finally did some free-hand drawing and the wings are painted...

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

It is coming along nicely and now...
    To make it look mean decided to go with a dragon so here is a free-hand drawing on paper:

IMG_0427.jpg

now I just need to transfer this design over to foam and it will all come together, muhahahaha :p

12. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Very. ..VERY cool Kk.

I wasn't even going to paint this one but now you did this.

I love the batwing shaping you did. Niiice

Wildthing, malukk and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  13. That's awesome,

14. Might need some little red leds for his eyes?

15. @TomMonton: I always show your painted planes to my wife as well as my flying buddies and they all love it so you have to paint this one :p Would love to see what you come up with...

@Wildthing: you read my mind, lol...
    Although I did choose red color for now, will have to find some red LEDs and stick it as eyes...

Anyways... Ladies and gentlemen, here I present my flying dragon:

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0439.JPG

IMG_0431.jpg

I have to say that this is probably our best paint scheme ever! This dragon is going to look fantastic when its in the air....
    Hmm... Gotta go fly it soon now, lol

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  16. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

That is so cool malukk! My hat is off to you and the Mrs.

17. Thanks piliet1 - very kind of you to say that :)

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  18. That is so cool looking, just awesome.

malukk and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  19. Ok Tom, the ball is in your court, or should I say paint brush? lol

malukk, TomMonton and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  20. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Here is where I had left off with the Explorer and work had to stop a little while for other responsibilities.

I snapped the top cover on the wing trying to cold roll depron and form that shape. I've since decided to is MPF for the top cover but still need to run and get new prints made to do that.

What I did do was use this as a scratch pad. Malukk and I are both searching for a suitable white paper, similar to brown wrapping paper, to use for top protective cover and to help add support on these longer wings spans.

This go around I'm using craft paper sold at Staples. It is a little softer than the brown paper was but I do like what it is doing. When cured it feels more like a plastic and still has a little flex to it yet.

On the down side. .. it does dent easier than the brown paper does.

uploadfromtaptalk1457795543088.jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    bimoadiprakoso, malukk and Wildthing like this.