FT Explorer ... Depron style.

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by TomMonton, Feb 21, 2016.

1. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Ah. .. a no brainer and I looked right past this too.

The dowel used to support the rubber bands passes right through there. Apply a light tac to some ply supports and I can still take it apart later if I want.
    [​IMG]

bimoadiprakoso, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  2. You will see some more holes on the fuselage - there should be 3 in total - 2 for holding wings and 1 for powerpod Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 10.16.25 PM.png

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  3. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I had to place myself on pause ... I had goofed up the motor mount entirely. I am still able to use the initial pod well enough but let's leave it at. ... i missed a step I had to dig around a little while but I found the original paper plan template curled up in the trash.

A few little pieces of ply and I was back in business. I do appreciate the heads up on placement. A nine inch prop is as far as the design will allow too. You do need to look ahead to assure there is enough clearance left to work with.

.... and I'm good to go.

uploadfromtaptalk1456370356466.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1456370372414.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1456370382612.jpg

4. Looking good! How do you cut out your ply? Looks clean!

5. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

A miter box and stiff back saw. Then epoxy the seams.

6. Looks awesome Tom. You don't think a good wood glue would be better then epoxy for the wood joints?

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  7. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I prefer epoxy for the difference in cure time.

It's getting harder to find but I use 10 minute epoxy ... It gives me a few minutes to fidget around with positioning and then 15 minutes later you can handle it for the next step.

Two hours later it's cured and everything is set.

Shannon, bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  8. I know the wood glue you would have to clamp and let sit overnight but it would still be stronger. This is me saying let it sit overnight, I have a hard time with 5 minute epoxy. lol .

bimoadiprakoso and TomMonton like this.
  9. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Hey this is great Tom, this plane and their cargo plane are the two that I wanted to try for a while. Interested in seeing this one up close.

malukk, Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  10. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

I've been sitting with the explorer FT plans for quite a while but never got around to modifying them for 6mm depron, would really appreciate a copy if you have made them available...:)

Barry

bimoadiprakoso and malukk like this.
  11. Hey Barry,

I can send them to you...
    Look for them in your inbox :)

BarryM and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  12. dangermouse650

dangermouse650 Ace Pilot

Hi malukk, any chance you could send a copy my way, please.

Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  13. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Hi Tom. Nice progress you have there. What prop size are you using? Does the tail boom experiencing flexes as there's only few mm away from the tip of the prop.

Think I'm gonna build one soon. soooo tempting big thanks to malukk

Sent from my LG-F320K using Tapatalk

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  14. You should have it in your inbox ;)

15. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

Thanks for the plans Malukk, just got to find me some time now. Any particular reason that you used the short wing span explorer? I like the idea of the longer one with that double dihedral think it would be a bit more floaty. Already built a Spectre from Depron but cant seem to slow it down...:eek:
    Full View small.JPG

16. Well, I am building this purely for fpv purposes... The shorter wing is a sport/trainer wing which still will have a ton of float....
    Additionally, the big wing doesn't have aileron controls due to the double dihedral you mentioned (self-corrects)... One could easily add ailerons to it but since going with fpv, need all controls along with a bit of speed (not a complete glider) yet with a lot of float...
    I am also going with flaperons on it so it should slow down pretty nicely...
    Lastly, since building with 6mm foam the strength of the wing wont be as strong as the sport wing due to double dihedral - need to put a lot more bracing...

Wildthing, BarryM and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  17. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I got a couple hours free time and to my fortune. ... parts come in too.

I did manage to get the tail linkage lined up enough to start closing things up.

Here is another heads up. ..even using a 5g servo, it is crowded in there. There is no way a 9 gram servo us going to fit inside that little channel. As a result I plan on using 5 gram servos all around now so things will match up well under a flight controller.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

udo789, BarryM, malukk and 2 others like this.
  18. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Looking good and clean as well Tom What wire are you using as the push rods?

Sent from my LG-F320K using Tapatalk

malukk and Wildthing like this.
  19. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

.032 wire and sleeve.

20. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I started work on building a wing section finally. Some of the build techniques used with DT foam don't exactly line up to what we do with 6mm depron or mpf.

For the leading edge fold I sliced off the underside panel(s). I started with making a good glue/tape hinge to begin working from. It only took a few free hand slices to make the hinge fold all the way over nicely. I used a fine layer of foam tac where adhesive meets the foam, let that tac up nicely then used wide blenderm to make the hinge.

uploadfromtaptalk1457044893139.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1457044909311.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1457044918556.jpg

I then hook the two wing panels together and let her set up a couple hours over dinner.
    uploadfromtaptalk1457045162626.jpg

bimoadiprakoso, Wildthing and malukk like this.