FT Explorer ... Depron style.

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by TomMonton, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Sounds like you have it all planned out well

Wildthing likes this.
  2. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

I started with RC Powers Su30, but due to no enough experience in flying, I crashed it badly and destroyed the nose (twice). Later I felt lethargic to repair it again! To get more experience, I bought Sport Cub S, and then made FT Explorer. I flew FT Explorer yesterday for the first time and flew well (atleast for me). Sharing vdo of Sport Cub S and FT Explorer. Now I have enough confidence to rebuild Su30 and try flying again. I love Su30

please give your suggestions/comments to make it fly better.

This community is great and has always helped me :)

3. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Hi,
    When you test glide a plane you want to throw it a little nose down because if you throw it nose up as in video you will stall it. Fortunately it didnt get broken.
    I must say, you did very well to keep the little cub in the air with that wind.
    When flying most planes that don`t have a built in stabilizer you need to feed in some up elevator in the turns. As the plane turns it looses some lift from the wings and you need to compensate with the elevator to stop it nosing down.

Wildthing, Pinakoza and TomMonton like this.
  4. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

You are right about keeping nose down while launching without power, but I have observed in this plane that in what ever nose attitude I launch, it never floats or glide! This is where I need help.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    Wildthing likes this.
  5. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

There are several things that will cause these problems, the first is have you got the correct CoG, it looks nose heavy.
    Then there can be warps in your flying surfaces look down the length of the plane from the nose and see if the wings and tail surfaces are aligned properly.
    Then check your ailerons are set correctly and are level with the trailing edge of the wing.
    Check those over and report:)
    Tom and Malukk have built these planes and may know any quirks it may have.

Pinakoza, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  6. The stock plane with stock CG is a little unpredictable when flying and very nose heavy. I can advice you to try and change a few things:

1) Easy fix: Push the battery back to move the CG about ~1-1.5" from stock CG. I know this sounds like an aggressive change but it works!

2) Pull out the tail boom out as much as you can - this is why Tom and I built an extended boom with added length of about ~3"

3) If you can modify the motor mount to extend it upwards and mount it as parallel as possible to wing - stock has it set at an upward angle which pushes nose down esp. when you go above 75% throttle.

4) I personally attached wing struts so that the wing doesnt flex upwards - it tends to do that.

These changes should make it fly much better! This is why Tom went on to modify the plans significantly to improve the performance and increase the space inside the electronics/battery compartment.
    He can chime in to tell you more if I missed out on anything else. Hi Tom! :p

7. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Some great insight from a guy that built the explorer.:)

Pinakoza, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  8. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

... yeah hi !! Been awhile and the new job is going good ?

The only other change up was I had removed the dehidral on the wing to help level it off.

With the added dehidral it had a tendency to lurch ... or porpoise while making even subtle movements on the elevator.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  9. new job is good but too busy as usual...
    I completely forgot about removing the dihedral!

10. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

This is good to hear... I had left you alone awhile till you had a chance to settle in again.

Pinakoza, malukk and Wildthing like this.
  11. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

Thank you COMRADES for all your suggestions :). Fortunately, I got a chance yesterday to fly at a local rc flight club (I am not a member yet). The instructor over there inspected my plane and gave me green signal to fly. He was flying FT Storch and had idea about FT Explorer too. He said that plane is well built and tried to fly it by himself too, and it really flew well for about 2 rounds. Unfortunately, the elevator failed in mid-flight (probably due to my many previous glide tests - some ended in hard landing), but plane landed very well in a slow glide. What I did before flight was to change angle of motor by tilting it little UP (towards tail), and elevator very (=<5 degree) slightly up. CG set 2 mm behind recommended 57mm (59mm) of leading edge. Anyways, I still need to keep trying it and make it perfect.

I added some wing tape to decorate it too. Sharing some pics here. Thanks again to ALL :)

Attached Files:

malukk, TomMonton and Wildthing like this.
  12. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Nicely done.... and it looks like you did well to stiffen it up too. It's fun to see others take off with a plan and find where it ends up. I like that added spin to things.

Malukk and I do have all our notes yet and we did intend to repost if there was any interest.
    .... but it has been a little quiet in here otherwise.

It is a decent plane and does fly nice and I liked it because it makes for an excellent FPV or a utility platform to build on.

Thank you for posting up.

Pinakoza, malukk and Wildthing like this.
  13. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

Thanks TomMonton for your comments. I made its second flight today with much confidence in this plane and me too :)
    You can check it here :

I think, there is still something more that needs to be done with my airplane, but not sure what! 1st is that I need to find some good place to fly it. The one where I am flying (in the vdo) is not a dedicated flying filed, so have to be continuously worried about someone spotting me flying it, thus I had to fly it too low. If I can fly it high enough and for longer time (without being worried/anxious), I can better understand and rectify it. Anyways, I have fallen in love with it :) :) :).

malukk, TomMonton and Wildthing like this.
  14. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

I'm building an Explorer today. I don't have any MPF so it'll be DTFB. I built one about a year ago and it was recycled a while back. I stripped a 250 quad I had so I've got a 5.8 camera and vtx I'm going to put in it. Plus LED's for summertime night flights.

I imagine there is no way I can re-purpose one of the 2204 2300kv motors for the Explorer but I thought I'd ask. Probably need a lower kv for a larger prop?

15. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

You are correct thinking lower kv and larger prop. The frame is designed for a 9 inch on down but had better battery performance with a slower torque motor.

The frame is built more to glide along on the air not necessarily fly close in. The plane doesn't need that quicker snap from a faster motor and smaller prop.

Same as ... why the Harley and not the crotch rocket ?

Wildthing, FlyteTime and malukk like this.
  16. rkal

rkal Rookie

Hi malukk

I'm from Croatia and I'm beginner in this field. I like to start wirth FT explorer depron build.
    Is it possible that I receive Yours depron plans.

Best Regards, Romeo

malukk likes this.
  17. Welcome to RCPowers! Here you go - see the attached zip file

Best,
    Kk

Attached Files:

rkal and bogusbandit56 like this.
  18. rkal

rkal Rookie

Hi malukk

Thanks I got it

Best Regards, Romeo

19. Gosh my prints looked terrible back then!!!

Its been a while since I last touched this project and it was just sitting on the shelf. The old files were designed on a laptop that I gave away to my dad. As a result of wiping it clean, I lost all my designs from Solidworks along with all the STLs so couldn't print new ones and all I was left with the old prints that look horrible. I figured that this would be an opportunity to learn from my old design and make new one(s). Completely redesigned it from first again, did a bunch of test prints and I am now very pleased with the final version.

IMG_4328.JPG

I am using two tabs that fit right into the slots where the foam "power pod" would sit - so the foam "pod" is no longer needed!
    IMG_2858.JPG

Simply attach it with bbq skewers:
    IMG_4847.jpg

Now it looks nice and clean!
    IMG_5848.jpg

The parts in previous version were only 3mm thick all across, were mostly under-extruded, had a lot of lateral movement to it and the entire setup weighed at 50g. With the new version now, which is way more STURDIER and LONGER than the previous one comes in with just 1g more!!
    IMG_0307.jpg

Just to make sure I don't loose at least the STLs, I uploaded them immediately on Thingiverse with factory files for Simplify3d so you don't have to worry about print settings (just adjust your print bed size) - just open the factory files and slice!

Wildthing likes this.
  20. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Now that looks impressive.

Well done Kk and I'll start printing this over the weekend.

Not to be critical but a question. Could the servo and linkage be run on the inside of the cavity ?

malukk likes this.