FT Explorer ... Depron style.

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by TomMonton, Feb 21, 2016.

1. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

[​IMG]

Added a layer of Lars' coating and I think I have the frame built finally.... and I can move onto some finish touch and paint.

This time I've widened the wing. One quarter inch was added front and back so roughly a half inch over all.

It was suggested that i omit the dihedral...so I did. The wing is straight and level across the fuse this time without the dihedral thing....much easier to build too without that added angle.

It warmed up to 15° today so what better time to finish this out. I still haven't assembled a paint scheme yet.

2. Looks good!

Wildthing and TomMonton like this.
  3. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

...and it comes apart for transport and/or storage.

[​IMG]

homey666 and Wildthing like this.
  4. Added advantage would be when we do the VTOL testing...
    Crashes are inevitable in these testings... easy to replace parts - dont have to make the whole plane all over again (hopefully*)

whatmovesyou, Wildthing and TomMonton like this.
  5. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

You know I was thinking about that the first you mentioned it. I had a Bob tail thing in mind that would extend the 3rd motor slightly down and then back to give better over all placement and balence ?

It would replace the motor pod because I was still hoping to use the bottom (tail boom cavity) for battery placement. Keeping it low and more in the middle of the frame (ballast).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    malukk and Wildthing like this.
  6. Yeah I do like the idea of battery in the bottom slot...
    Will also provide it with a pendulum effect giving it more stability...

Wildthing likes this.
  7. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Progress had been slow following the holidays. Work and those odd little responsibilities tend to interfere with play time.

I did knock off some shaping and finish touch before I paint this weekend. I used some 1x3mm cf strips on the vertical stab. It makes for somewhat an eyesore doing this but it was a necessary evil. I can still cover that with a base coat of white and hide the lines easy enough.

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I didn't care for extra play that developed using a removable motor pod.

So I decided to tighten things up with a couple of plastic nuts and bolts.

[​IMG]

9. Cool, so still removable. ;)

malukk and TomMonton like this.
  10. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Affix'd some tie downs for the rubber band's to hold the wing down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  11. Thats neat Tom! I really like it

I dont know when I'll find time from now on... extremely busy at work but I'll keep working as I find even a little bit of time.

TomMonton and Wildthing like this.
  12. I'll be interested to know how well the REAR rubber band tie down holds up with tension...

Wildthing likes this.
  13. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Looking back at the previous post and yeah... it's been over a month with me painting this bird.

I did have a good excuse though and the up side is I'm still on track for this spring

Finally... I've finished painting the new and improved KkExplorer v2. A little more hype than needed but she's earned it's name in large part because i keep sending it back with changes ... sorry for being a pain malukk

Blue bird.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  14. Really nice Tom, mind you I haven't seen you put out a bad one. :)

malukk and TomMonton like this.
  15. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Why thank you sir. I will admit I had taken way too long on this one, long enough to lose interest even and I 'need to clear off the table finally for something else.

We got a couple new PJ's to trick out yet and I need the room to work.

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  16. Wow that looks gorgeous and you put my name on it too... way too kind! Its not my original design but you also have put in a lot of thought and effort into improving this design! So kudos to you too :)
    Very nice job!

17. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Finally.. I literally made a left turn coming back from a trouble call, and decided I just had to fly this plane

... at least be able to say that i had maidened her once. A little gusty over head but here we go.

Take away: I was just a touch tail heavy for a change. Pulled the battery forward and it was good. There's actually room to move battery placement around. Before I was always stuffing up inside the fuselage to find a balance. Big improvements there.

3s 2200mah 35c.

The flat wing held up well... glided very well.. but required more throw on the ailerons now ? I didn't expect that. I've lost a lot off the roll rates without the dehidral. I've since changed up the linkage to offer more a little more deflection.

Malukk it fly's.... and fly's nice. I think you'll like it.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  18. I'll take a look at the video when I go home!

Wildthing likes this.
  19. Nice flight Tom! looks like now it glides extremely well and just a touch tail heavy... Think overall it looks a lot more better rather than its previous characteristic of having a "mind of it own"... Nice job on the mods Tom!! Love the landing...

20. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

This setup seems to work much better for weight distribution. I was tweaked that I actually had it a little tail heavy at first launch. By default it always felt like i could never get enough weight off the nose to glide level.

.... and I still have yet to hang a camera and video tx on the nose. There's also enough wiggle room and cog placement to plant a second video battery if you wanted an isolated VCC source for your video.

I plan to trim it out a little more then start with adding a flight controller and some video stuff.

Wildthing and malukk like this.