FT Explorer ... Depron style.

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by TomMonton, Feb 21, 2016.

1. notamedclosed

notamedclosed Ace Pilot

I'm planning to order the kit from vicious1 himself. Looks like a RAMPS 1.4 but I also have a RADDS 1.5 that I was planning on moving into my 3d printer. For cutting foam I'm looking at what dkj4linux came up with. Seems like that has given you guys good results.

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  2. Yeah... thats a good tool however, I use that only for cutting DTF... For MPF, I am still using a dremel with diamond cut carbide bit with fish tail. Gives excellent results!! although the needle cutter works great as well... the neddle cutter is louder... dremel cuts are faster - really really fast!

Good luck!

3. I forgot about that guy once I seen the motor mount. :D

malukk likes this.
  4. notamedclosed

notamedclosed Ace Pilot

Good to know. Lots to learn yet.

bimoadiprakoso, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  5. So you need more then 1 cutter.... :D :D :D

We got the needle, the dremmel, what or how does the one cut you are looking at?

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  6. Jeff, the needle cutter is what dkj4linux (another very talented member here) had come up with...

Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  7. OK cool, this little dremmel bit you have what diameter is it?

malukk likes this.
  8. I have a whole range of diameters from 0.1mm onwards but for foam cutting I have to use 0.8mm since thats the least diameter you can get with flute size deep enough to go into the foam...

For cutting ply, I use 1mm bit (or 0.8mm with slow speed and high rpm)

For the needle cutter, think I am using the 0.015" or 0.02" needle (cant remember the exact size)

Wildthing likes this.
  9. Ever tried the laser on foam just to see how it would cut, I know the smoke and smell would be the draw back but no different then the hotwire cutter.

malukk likes this.
  10. You bet!

I do cut pink foam from home depot and the FFF (blue foam) from lowes with my 3W Laser but... if the foam is white, it does not absorb the energy (well enough) - being white, it reflects back all of the light...

So you have to overpower with at least 40W CO2 laser tube... then you can cut foam and thick ply as well. With my laser right now, I am able to cut thin ply and balsa wood.
    With CO2 laser, as the laser pointer goes away from the tube source, you have to adjust the power/speed so it does take quite a bit effort... not to mention that the kerf/width of cut is dependent on laser power as well since its a melting process...

The advantage (even if it is small) cutting with dremel or needle is that it creates coarse/rough surface unlike smooth surface with laser- advantage? The glue bites in very well and at least I have noticed that the glue joints are a tad bit stronger...

Smooth surface cut:
    [​IMG]

Rough surface cut with dremel or needle:
    [​IMG]

Finally, with this technique the score cuts are accurate all along depth wise (although it may be possible with laser too with some settings) as well as you can mill out foam to make CF slots... no more picking out foam with a small screw driver (yes! I am too lazy to do that as well :p )... something not possible with laser ;)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Wildthing and notamedclosed like this.
  11. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Interesting project Tom and Malukk. Like your approach of the parts fitting in the fuse and using bearings.

First project I did with the kk2 is flying a flat board(no rudders) just like Ran d did just to learn how to program it. Have video showing its flight. My present project is to use only 2 servos and make the transition from vert to forward flight.

Know how much it takes in programming so good luck. I explored the use of a heli tail (variable pitch and variable rpm's) in the rear laying flat for controlling pitch by up/down. Jury rig kept blowing apart. Too many crashes. Now you know why I am just using 2 servos and differential thrust.

The key in transitional flight is the correct time you program to make the change from vertical/horizontal and the attitude of the plane. I did some experimenting with that with my dual transport where the wing was at 30 plus degrees and flying horizontal and switched to flat and landing.

Have you looked into the GUI setup to ease the pain of changing PIN values?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    malukk likes this.
  12. I was hoping that you would chime in... :) I havent gone that far yet into programming part... Still have to do some reading. I am definitely going to hit you up with lots of questions as I go along if I dont understand somethings since you and DavePowers are the only ones who I know of with the VTOL experience - hope you dont mind.

Where do I find this GUI setup? Is that for KK2 board?

Wildthing likes this.
  13. Yes, I found the GUI setup.. Went back to the manual to look for it...

That said, I am attaching the manual and the spreadsheet for KK2 openaero VTOL setup for all here... just some light reading when you have spare time... This will help in setting this up to success...

Attached Files:

Wildthing likes this.
  14. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

You have to go into the RCgroups for that and it's the latest revision open aero v 1.5VB4. for the kk2.

Here is the video:
    This way, I learned to use differential thrust to control rudder. Did left and right turns. Loop forgot to set up inverted flight on kk2. Fortunate not to crash board.

malukk likes this.
  15. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Are you still in Lowell, Mass?

16. Yes, I am....

17. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Use to work there.

malukk likes this.
  18. On any of the exposed 3D printed parts do you guys ever do anything like this to improve the looks?

malukk likes this.
  19. The acetone smoothing works only on ABS.. i use PLA only since its stronger... ABS stinks when printing... but the smoothing part is really cool!!

Wildthing likes this.
  20. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator