FT Explorer ... Depron style.

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by TomMonton, Feb 21, 2016.

1. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

See? You have done amazing work on designing structures and mods for the explorer, malukk. Not many people have good sense in R&D and making something out of it.

Imagine if we're all working into something big together. That would definitely shake the ground for sure. But the only issue would somehow be time differences and slots, when it comes to schedules. it happens every where. Even to me.

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

malukk likes this.
  2. Yeah, I am always open to and infact look forward to working with people on different projects...
    I love tinkering with stuff so yeah...
    Time zones may not be a issue... work may be a little slower but tea work is certainly doable...
    Think you, Jeff and Ian have proven that already ;)

Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  3. We don't sleep and it's obvious you don't either. :D :D

malukk and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  4. Lol...

I think you know better by now... ;) :D

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  5. Ok guys... Here it is actually working with servo attached and controlled by servo tester... The jitters at first you see are due to me moving the the servo tester slowly/shaky while recording at the same time - its not binding anywhere... In fact its super smooth...

because this unit is a bit long, I think I may run into a issue of it flexing... To fix that, I may actually end up beefing up the spacers or adding a little more spine to it... I dont know yet... I'll test it some more and then decide whether to go forward with this or modify it more... although, the important thing is the motor is perfectly angled at 0 degree or 90 degrees!! I am pretty happy with the results so far!

6. That's awesome. That whole unit is still going to be inside some foam also right which will give you some more strength? On the sim there is that one plane, going from vertical take off to the forward position is smooth but the opposite way is a tad tricky. Can't wait to see these guys in action.

bimoadiprakoso and malukk like this.
  7. Yeah, I thought that it would be inside the foam pod but the servo is in the way. I'll be moving the servo forward which will help a whole lot I think.
    I'll have to see if there is one on the Phoenix sim as thats the one that I have.

I think the biggest challenge is going to be setting up the KK2 openaero settings based on what we have here. Think its going to be a challenge in the transitions but we'll see how that will go.
    I cant think of any other board that has been developed well for VTOL features - may be the cc3d board? Tom, any thoughts here?

8. Is this maybe where a gyro will come in handy especially in the transition?

9. The KK2 board is essentially a multi-rotor board and so its 3-axis gyros are active all way around to keep it stable at hover and during transitions...
    The tricky part is to tune it...
    I have good enough experience in PID tuning but not sure how this tuning works... will have to do some reading in the openaero thread at rcgroups too... :)

10. Cool, more programming :(

11. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

My thoughts so far on transitioning from lift-hover-forward flight.

Setup initially as a tricopter, lift into a hover. Then if begin to try forward flight it will lift the tail....not a desirable effect.

Once in a hover I was looking at more of a gyrocopter effect ? Drop the tail motor for level forward flight and once moving well drop the front two motors nicely similar to an asprey at this phase.

Once leveled out hopefully it will fly like an airplane.....we'll see right

I'm not saying that these are solutions but more on the order of mindset getting "things" to play together.

Cc3d is very flexible and works well as a quad controller...just setting up the various transitions into forward flight will be an interesting and busy ppm stream.

bimoadiprakoso, malukk and Wildthing like this.
  12. And the reverse???? :D :D :D That's where I had fun on the sim, transitioning forward is nice and smooth but the other way was tricky and really unstable for a few seconds. Of course that is on the sim to, can't wait to see this thing be born. :)

bimoadiprakoso, malukk and TomMonton like this.
  13. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Exactly.... I would almost need a reversible esc ...but how do I reverse the prop pitch.

So... I need to go fish some research on this yet.

My primary focus has been in the rebuild.

1. A better carriage that's almost done.
    2. Make her cog balence better and function as a glider.
    3. Then finish out the dual motor wing so it will fly nicely on its own either way...simply pick your wing of choice, or switch them out in the field.

This much alone is pretty aggressive already and I'm right on the edge of getting all that "right" finally. I am happy with bench tests and where cog is landing now. The frame by default was always so nose heavy as I mentioned earlier.

The final phase will be to polish off malukk's vtol. Again fitting out the same carriage...adding a third wing plate and include the flight controller data and features.

We have been kicking this combo idea around for little over a year now. We have made some good gains towards our goal but this thing with a career, a family and life tends to take away from daily progress.

Not a complaint but face it...life just happens to get in way sometimes.

I am very impressed with malukk's transitional motor mount...very cool.

14. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Another thought was once up... cut the tail motor and simply catch it and start forward flight but you're right

Smoothing out one direction (hover to flight) then to return (flight to hover) trends to take away from one another.

With a change of direction there will be that dead air moment when you will have to "catch" the plane in air during that transition.

The vtol will be built on the premise of a 450 quad. 7"props and the lightest motors I can find and give up enough thrust to carry it. I'm not exactly looking for performance but more so stability. Performance will be something to build in once the goofy thing works right.

What do think... should I do another angry bird paint scheme ? This is red bird ... name the explorer blue bird.

Otherwise the new nose looks more like a mini airliner.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  15. notamedclosed

notamedclosed Ace Pilot

Man, we got a talented bunch on this site. Not sure if I'm hanging out at MIT or a hobby RC site ;). Either way I'm bound to learn something. With Toms and your work this is shaping up to be a cool bird.

I've got the 3d printer and hopefully soon a MPCNC, so I've go the mechanical side down but I'm never going to be able to match Tom's paint schemes.

16. notamedclosed

notamedclosed Ace Pilot

Tom, they make 3d props. It's just a normal prop with the airfoil removed from the blades.

https://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=534_539_565

It's still a bit of a fad but they are used in some multicopters with reversible ESC's to do more "3d" maneuvers.

17. Hehe... Thanks! working as a team and learning from so many talented people in this forum is what makes rcpowers the best forum/platform...

you'll love cutting the foam with CNC for sure!! its just so much easier, FASTER, accurate and precise!! I could keep going on and on about it ;) what do you plan on using for cutting tool? also what controller board?

18. More updates:

Almost completely redesigned the frame, this time it came out wicked!

First of all, eliminated one of the 2mm spacer plate and added the servo cover instead - the wall is only 0.2mm thick so it hardly weighs anything but as a box it is surprisingly strong!! it can be fused with the other plate with CA glue... it has a few more features coming up in pictures below...

1.JPG

Next, moved the servo forward for frame's strength purposes (top plate is old design)... with the servo back, the frame was flexing a bit so I figured, with motors ON it'll be worse... therefore, moved it forward

2.JPG

Next, Removed the "X" spacer FRONT plate and instead have a box plate. With the X-design (as seen in the rear plate) the wires were binding; now they move freely! Also notice a slot for the servo wires to come out in the servo tray... I have slots on either side so the wire can be routed either ways!

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

The tray is extended such that it can be fused/glued to the other side plate with CA and this itself acts as a reinforcement making the frame much more sturdy overall...

6.JPG

Next up is the redesigned motor mount where mounting holes are changed to favor the motor wires coming up or down (should have thought of this in the first place, doh!)

7.JPG

Not only that, it now has a spacer/shim built in (right around the metal rod) to leave a small gap between the side plates to avoid binding. There was no binding in the first design but I thought when the motor is spinning, it may or may not have an effect... so doesnt hurt to have the spacer in the first place!

8.JPG

9.JPG

After assembly and routed wires:

10.JPG

It drops right into the foam powerpod with a small slot cut out:

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

Installed onto the wing:

14.JPG

In VTOL position even a 10" prop has enough clearance, and it looks cool in this position too!!

15.JPG

Final look:

16.JPG

17.JPG

19. Very cool, maiden tomorrow???? ;)

20. Hahaha... not even close! :D maiden is going to take a very long time... Although I am thinking of a maiden flight for my 6mm foam seaduck ;)