FrSky HORUS X10S 16-channel mid-range radio (REVIEW)

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by DutchRC, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Halloa guys :)

Soo yes.. I just got me this new FrSky radio in a couple of days, and how offten does one order up a new radio right? Only once in a few years. At least I do :$
    So! I'm quite excited to try this one out, as it's not really an entry-level radio eighter :$ I ordered me this Horus X10S so it Might replace my Futaba T14SG, but the verdict's not in yet offcourse..

Link to the new radio: FrSky Horus X10S transmitter

I'll be doing several video's on this radio.. Maybe allso some 'how to ones.. To start things off though, here is my Show & Tell on this radio

Specs (of the Horus X10S)
    channels: 16
    protocol: default FrSky ACCST
    system: 2.4 Ghz
    model mem: 60 (unlimited by adding a TF card)
    screen: 480 x 272 color LCD
    gimbals: MC12 plus
    battery: build in Lion
    telemetry: yes
    module bay: yes
    touchscreen: no

Wildthing likes this.
  2. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I have adored this very same radio for the past couple of years ... watching closely as it come up into production.

... and yes it was embraced by the good folks over at opentx too.

My taranis b has yet to disappoint me so therefore it's been very difficult to find a valid reason to actually upgrade.

The one upgrade I did do my current radio was replace the gimbals with the m9 hall effect replacements.

Wildthing and DutchRC like this.
  3. I really can't give you any valid reason to upgrade :) At least not at this point..
    Ohw: bling factor :p
    the range of the X10 Should be slightly better, but I have no idea if it actually IS :)

Wildthing likes this.
  4. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Oh I know I am one to like the eye candy too and was the only real honest reason I had...lol

Moral of the story is the frsky is a very solid protocol and has never once disappointed me.

DutchRC and Wildthing like this.
  5. probably because they reverse-engineered Futaba's FASST protocol :)

6. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

In a fashion... yes it was. The threads/ branches that had developed from that baseline protocol had created something on its own different again (enough).

Futsba's fasst signaling runs inverted from spektrum's dsm and at times would become an issue talking to various older controllers. Sbuss was also billed from a futaba interface.

7. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

Tom, are the M9 gimbals significantly better? Been thinking about doing mine as well.

8. Time for a update for my 'life with the X10S' story.. (this is not a review in any way)
    So far I've done a lot of multirotor flying with the transmitter, which worked out just fine.. That was in no way anywhere near to long range..

Recently i allso moved my RCExplorer tricopter from Futaba to the X10S:

Before yesterday I had not flown any fixed wing stuff with the new radio though.. The thing is: I trust my Futaba radio 100% (up to 3-4Km) and well.. is the X10S as reliable? I just don't know (yet)..
    Did me a first airplane flight with it yesterday though :)

TomMonton and Wildthing like this.
  9. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

I would love to get hold of one but again ive got the futaba 14sg so cant warrant the out lay.

DutchRC likes this.
  10. The T14SG is a great transmitter Andy :) No need to 'upgrade' indeed..

andy_downs likes this.
  11. Okee.. not REALLY about the Horus X10? transmitters, but might be of interest to owners..
    I came across a small (parkflier?) receiver a few weeks back which, as a bonus, has a build-in voltage sensor (and obviously allso telemetry)..
    Should be handy for smaller planes (space & weight)..

IF... it actually works.. Here is my short presentation + test of it:

Link to the receiver: RX-F802 receiver with (voltage) telemetry)

12. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

We are approaching the "mean while ... three months later" window.

What has been your goto radio this season ?

13. I have sold All my other radio's.. I think that's as clear as it gets.. right? :)

Wildthing and TomMonton like this.
  14. CRMERC

CRMERC Ace Pilot

I have two Frsky radios a Tranis plus and an x7. For the money and capabilities of open tx there really is no comparison. If you were starting out in park flying and did not want to have a ton of money invested in a radio than the QX7 is without equal. If I start flying often like I used to I would get an X10 but for now the X9D is plenty.

15. Agreed :) Especially the X7(s) is quite a nice radio for what it costs.. For a few weeks I considered keeping around as a backup (or something).. but that would have just had it sit in it's box for a couple of years :)

16. CRMERC

CRMERC Ace Pilot

The ability to upgrade the control sticks and install plug in radio modules is a real bonus as well. The QX7 is a great choice for quad copter as well. Alofthobbies.com is the US dealer for Frsky and they are great to deal with.