FREESTYLER Project - GepRC KHX5 Elegant Quad Build

Discussion in 'Quadcopters' started by DutchRC, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Hi there RC people :)

It can be a lot of fun to buy / order up a ready made RC, and go out & fly / drive it right away :) On the other hand great satisfaction can be found in selecting all components yourself and then build the craft :)
    This allso gives you more insight into how things really work (and how they do Not work :p)

The objective in this project is to build a smooth Freestyle FPV quadcopter. My last build was more of a Powerhouse.. This time I want the quad to have a more liniar power-output..

This series will be quite a nr. of video's and I'll try to put as much info into the individual video's as possible. This allso means the project won't be ready in just a few days as well offcourse ;)

Let's first have a look all the components for this build :)

Parts selected for this build:
    Quadcopter frame: GEP-KX5 Elegant
    Flight Controller: Matek F722 STD
    PDB: Matek FCHUB 6S
    VTX: Matek VTX HV
    ESC's: DYS Aria 32bit Dshot1200
    Motors: EMAX LS2207 2550Kv
    Props: GemFan Windanser 5042
    FPC cam: Runcam Swift 2
    FPV antenna: TBS Triumph
    Receiver: FrSky XSR

2. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Btw I have used the same PCB and F4 controller.

No the PCB does not call for the capacitor.

No the ribbon cable will not fit into that model PCB... and this much was a disappointment because I had to solder tac all my cross connects with wire.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  3. What the :O I had not checked that ribbon connection yet..
    But.. I do have a different FC (F722) right.. I'll check, but this does have me worried :$

4. Pfew! I checked, and the ribbon connection between the F722 and FCHUB fits :)

5. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

... huh. Mine would not for some reason. I wonder now which pcb I bought then.

Sorry for the unnecessary scare on the front end of that.

DutchRC likes this.
  6. Nothing a beer won't solve ;)

7. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I should have paid closer attention to this.

I ordered the chub-a5 and yes... it is a little different animal. It is intended to go into the mini boards that they offer. There are two less contacts on that ribbon connector using the chub-a5 board.

How's that for a good example of a tough lesson learned.

DutchRC likes this.
  8. The combo I have here was actually suggested to me by Matek, soooo it would kinda have been VERY stupid if it had not worked... But well.. By now Nothing surprices me anymore when dealing with Chinese companies :D (probably mostly due to the language barrier :$)

Thanks for the reminder though as them smaller boards are offcourse allso on my radar :$

9. Howdy guys :)

sooo.. a new quad build huh? I'd say it makes sense with an indepth look at the frame(s) I've chosen for this build :)

So.. here is a Review of the 2 'Elegant' frame variants by GepRC :)

TomMonton likes this.
  10. And another update in this sage :)

In this video I'll go quite a bit more indepth / technical into the why of my 2207 motor choice.. Should interesting and maybe controversial?

11. Update time again for this project! :)
    this time we'll be giving the quad an actual brain, and not just any.. An F7 from Matek :)

TomMonton likes this.
  12. And that is all very nice offcourse, but does this combination of parts actually make for a well behaved quad? :)

13. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

She flies glassy smooth as it is and are you still running default pid settings ?

I would tend to agree as well, it appears almost too docile ? Like it will be wanting a little more aggression for free flight.

I really do like this style of frame too btw.

DutchRC likes this.
  14. I love these frames as well :) I've got 4 by now, with a fifth one on it's way :$

I'll tell you this: a Large part of our perception of speed is related to just the sound of something.. With this quad being So smooth, it seems deceptively slow.. I have never had a quad So high up with just a blimp of throttle though :$

Yep.. stock PID's.. that high processing rate of the F7 processor helps a lot I think (?)

15. ps: I could offcourse make it go faster with higher-pitch props, but that's not what I'm looking for..

16. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I had used that same controller on a simple 250 frame 5" and thinking back now .... ...it did have a softer feel to it. All I did was a few passes LOS to see that it would fly and that's when my order finally shipped in.

I've been playing around around the ET's these past few weeks I guess I had sorta shelved that one for now.

(side note) the ldarc 125 flies very nice. I little more floaty than the 115 which is no surprise. I'll give you a better impression after I've had a chance to abuse it a little more

DutchRC likes this.
  17. I just flew the ET115 again yesterday :D At this moment it's actually the quad I fly most just-for-fun :)
    You've upgraded the camera on that one as well??

18. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I haven't yet but I plan to. There is such a remarkable difference between the two that using the default cam already feels a little disappointing ... for lack of a better definition.

This one will be much simpler since i already have a working TX to start with.

19. :D Yeah.. you should definately throw a micro Swift at it :) The experience is just so much better the quads 'seems' more capable with it :)

TomMonton likes this.
  20. And how do these quads do in FPV??? :)