FRCFOAMIES SU37 MK2

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Mar 17, 2013.

1. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I also mount my esc's between the nacelles eliminating the need for cooling ducts.I just solder extension wire before i solder my plug on.

Wildthing likes this.
  2. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

I've painted quite a few of these parkjets the Mig29 was probably the most difficult..

DSC02746 Small.JPG

DSC02748 Small.JPG

I used Jimbos method on this plane..very time consuming but the end result worth the effort.

The SU37 was painted using 3mm PVC masking tape (it's quite bendy) as used by the pro spray painters and vowed I would never do a 3 colour camo job again, lots of touching up. All of the planes are brush painted with Acrylic (I don't do well with spray paint). The Mig has a clear water based top coat, keeps it clean and strengthens it at the same time.

3. Fz1Fazer

Fz1Fazer Ace Pilot

Wonderful paintjob, love it, a MIG-29 OVT if I remember right ;)

4. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

Absolutely....only gets flown when the weather conditions are good only a couple of scratches on it and I finished it at the end 2014...a record for me..:)

Wildthing likes this.
  5. Fz1Fazer

Fz1Fazer Ace Pilot

I am thinking of doing that scheme as well on one of my birds but it's a lot of work and my paint and skills aren't good.
    Have a look at my actal avatar and you see the real "156" :D

6. CRMERC

CRMERC Ace Pilot

I am running 17oz without a battery but that is with a zoom 450 and a 60 amp ESC with paper covering from head to tail feathers and a ton of paint. Can't say the weight bothers it much as it glides in for soft landings and will go straight up out of my hand at launch.

Wildthing likes this.
  7. Good to here about handling the weight. By the time I am done painting it I would say 1 to 2 oz more, I love the long hatch, I shouldn't have any problems getting the cg right with any battery.

8. Wow, EXCELLENT, I'm not spending that much time. lol. It took me long enough to make all the stencils for the Mako plane and that was just for 1 color. I thought my airbrushing flames and lightning bolts took long, hah.

9. CRMERC

CRMERC Ace Pilot

I changed around all the hatches on mine. the RCP SU27 has a great setup that adds rigidity without any weight to speak of and as of late I am building just about every thing that way.

Wildthing likes this.
  10. To late for this one but I will keep it in mind for the next one, lord knows I will need more.

11. CRMERC

CRMERC Ace Pilot

the SU 27 should end up on your cutting table soon. It is a pretty forgiving airplane that moves a little slower than this little missile. Plus there is very little in terms of acrobatics that it cannot do with ease. Good trainer.

Wildthing likes this.
  12. Hurry up spring, I am going to have a full squadron come spring.

13. CRMERC

CRMERC Ace Pilot

If foam board causes cancer neither one of is going to make it till spring. :)

Wildthing likes this.
  14. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I have so many i'm going to have start to crash and burn on purpose.Two walk in closets and two rooms packed to the gills and three in the living room,my wife is fed up.o_O

Wildthing likes this.
  15. Well I just did 3 planes in the last 2 weeks and starting on #4.

16. Attic

17. Question, the Beacon Foam Tac and the UHU Por nobody here stocks it so I have to order it in. Now, Micheals (craft store) does carry the Beacon product line but not the foam tac. They have a glue which they call Advanced Craft Glue, 3 in 1 and it seems no different then the other 2 glues other than I get a 4 oz bottler for the same price as a 2 oz one. Ever heard of it or better yet tried it?

18. CRMERC

CRMERC Ace Pilot

Try the BSI Foam Cure. You can get it through Heads up Hobby out of Fla. it is like 5$ for a 4 oz tube which is half the price of Beacon Foam Tac and I think it is a better glue.

19. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Foam tac is the best and sets the fastest,BSI takes much longer to set and in some cases you have to let it sit over night like when doing the nose area.The stuff from Micheals that your talking about melts the foam and will ruin your build,ask me how I know.I do use BSI a lot but only when i have the time to waite for it to set.

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  20. Well I used it on the F18 mini and all seems good, day 2 no melting and seems strong. It does say on the bottle acid free and waterproof. Instant grab and fast cure. I do like the Foam Tac better then the UHU.