FRCFOAMIES SU37 MK2

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Icsbpowell

Icsbpowell Cadet

Build 'em clean, quick and true then get busy flying. That keeps me happy. BTW, is it wrong to start the next build before this one has its maiden flight?

2. rhodenga500

rhodenga500 Ace Pilot

This is the very reason I build my parkjets with removable nose and fuselage sections. I am known to destroy at least three fuselage assemblies per jet.

Attached Files:

3. Icsbpowell

Icsbpowell Cadet

Have to admit that planning for the crash/rebuild is a novel approach. So do you try mixing and matching pieces to create new hybrid designs? That could be interesting.

4. rhodenga500

rhodenga500 Ace Pilot

I have patterns/templates that I made for each modified partjet built, so when I crash, I use the pattern to make another piece. I am always improving my designs. The SU-34 shown is a prototype about 23 ounces loaded without battery. I use it for flight training. The next one I build will be about 18-20 ounces. Have about 5 ounces that can be eliminated.

The advanced pilots fly fast and keep the parkjets light weight. That did not work for me as a beginner. I fly slow and love designing more than flying. So, I still do not fly very good but repair is very simple to me with the new design.

To answer your question, I look at pictures of aircraft on youtube and make my modifications to the parkjets.

Attached Files:

5. Icsbpowell

Icsbpowell Cadet

Very clever idea. There are certainly similarities in the core designs of jets as the technology advances and companies learn from each other's new designs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Icsbpowell

Icsbpowell Cadet

Just completed the first two flights on the replacement plane and it is a screamer! It is a real looker in the air and with the 2700 Kv motor and 3s 2200mah setup it literally shrieks. I can hear the echo off the trees. Only problem I encountered was on landing the left elevon caught In the grass and the control horn punched through the foam. Easy fix with drywall tape and epoxy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boxermad84, EricR and F1wanabe like this.
  7. Got the plans printed today and started the build process. I wasn't going to go crazy with this one and just run the elevons and mix the ailerons into it.
    Question about the top and bottom kf's, should I put them on? Definitely looks better with the thicker wing and what edge if I do install them would be best for the leading edge?

Cheers
    Jeff

2016-01-10 19.13.58.jpg 2016-01-10 19.36.27.jpg

F1wanabe likes this.
  8. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I would recommend yes. ..or them on.

Use 6mm and slice or sand down the leading edge. Then use DT foam or 3mm depron for the underside.

F1wanabe and Wildthing like this.
  9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Jeff, If you do KF4, there are several options:
    KF4 with 6mm upper and 6mm lower KF airfoil, 3mm upper and 3mm lower kf airfoil (paperless DT foam also works good instead of 3mm) or my favorite, 6mm upper and 3mm lower kf. The 6mm/6mm gives you maximum wind resistance and still good speed, 3mm/3mm gives you good wind resistance ans best speed, and the 6mm/3mm gives you the best combination of wind resistance, speed and also good slow flying aerobatics. I know some guys say bevel the upper and lower leading edge to make it a symmetrical wedge shape, but the best stability and aerobatic performance comes from beveling and sanding only the upper leading edge. What are you looking for from the KF4?

Wildthing likes this.
  10. Crap, I don't have any 3mm foam. I might have to do some hunting tomorrow to see what I can find locally but thank you.

Cheers
    Jeff

11. Just the looks, lol. But I was only going to do the elevons, so just a nice simple flyer, fast and slow.

F1wanabe and ASD like this.
  12. Just go to ur dollar store and get some foam board. I forget the name of ur dollar store it's been about a yr since I was in Canada. It works great for a kf4.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

13. The only foam I have found around here is what they use for posters and it has I believe paper on both sides.

F1wanabe and ASD like this.
  14. This is mine with kf4's.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Fz1Fazer, Wildthing and F1wanabe like this.
  15. Yup that's the correct stuff, just peal the paper off of both sides and then it's perfect for kf's

Wildthing and F1wanabe like this.
  16. CRMERC

CRMERC Ace Pilot

the paper peals right off of the Dollar Tree foam without issue. I find that the best way is to cut out the KF with the paper on then pull the paper off of the side you are going to glue on and after it dries and bonds together do you pull the rest of the paper off.

Wildthing and F1wanabe like this.
  17. Nice, I can only do those flips by accident or on the simulator, well I can do the flips it's whether or not I crash right after that. lol

ASD likes this.
  18. cool

ASD likes this.
  19. Well more progress, rudders, bottom kf's and once I get the servos in then the lower fuselage. 2016-01-11 10.11.29.jpg 2016-01-11 10.11.51.jpg 2016-01-11 11.10.25.jpg 2016-01-11 11.10.37.jpg

sirskyhi, Lgel, Fz1Fazer and 3 others like this.
  20. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I like that you've run a spar on the vertical stabs, both elevators and the hinge line.

It does very well to tighten the frame and have it stay in place as the foam starts to soften over time.

Well done