FRCFOAMIES SU37 MK2

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

The Autumnal Equinox, Scandinavia into the darkness ... for 6 months ...
    But it was a perfect day, just a few gusts!

1080HD Can't get enough of this plane, never ever.

Slingshot, BarryM and jimbosflyin like this.
  2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Beautiful evening flight, Lars! It's a great talent to hold a conversation while flying a routine also. Good work! Did you readjust the canard angles? they looked a little more aggressive than I remember.

Airflow likes this.
  3. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks,
    Kids! yes it takes a little more attention to things other than the actual flight.
    My fault Greg, gain setting of the canard gyro was too high this time. 80% :eek:
    It is a new gyro, and I forgot to adjust it properly...

Slingshot and F1wanabe like this.
  4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Slingshot and Airflow like this.
  5. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes Greg, true! Turbulence, the airflow on top of the wings gets blocked by the canards.

6. Icsbpowell

Icsbpowell Cadet

Just finished the build last night. There's a club fun fly tomorrow and the forecast is a little iffy. Not the best conditions for a maiden flight so I may have to wait til Sunday to shake it out. image.jpg

7. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Very nice! Icsbpowell,
    Yes! wait until it becomes reasonably calm BF maiden it!

8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Icsbpowell, the su37 is one of the best wind planes, so.... Pop the cork! And get video!

Our Website :www.frcfoamies.com
    My youtube :www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

9. Icsbpowell

Icsbpowell Cadet

I'm afraid I did more than pop the cork. I saw a comment in another thread about not putting the receiver between the motor and the ESC which I had done. I redid the installation this morning to correct the problem only.... Does anyone know if Phoenix flight sim has a mode for practicing control of a plane with the servos connected to the opposite ports? Yep, I switched the left and right aileron wires in the receiver and didn't catch it on preflight. The stupid thing is I did the same thing in the initial installation but caught and corrected it. Slow learner... Very slow! The good news is it shouldn't take as long to build the plane the second time around. It was totaled. Kinda looks like she's posing for the camera.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

that is totally fixable,don't trash it.easier to fix than you think,give it a go ,we do it all the time.

11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Yes, I agree! That'll be a quick fix and the su37 can handle a little extra weight d from the repairs. I'd fix it and build a second after you experiment with your favorite set up!

Our Website :www.frcfoamies.com
    My youtube :www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

12. Icsbpowell

Icsbpowell Cadet

Too late. Just got done cutting out all the

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Icsbpowell

Icsbpowell Cadet

Just got done cutting out all the gear. I'll get started on the replacement tonight. Got plenty of other planes to fly for now.

F1wanabe likes this.
  14. Icsbpowell

Icsbpowell Cadet

I understand that the MK2 is scaled down to 80% of the original plans. I didn't really get a chance to fly the MK2 (as seen above) but I was struck by how small it is. I had the plans for the MK2 printed at 100%and 120%. Now I'm trying to decide which size to build. I like the idea of it being slightly larger but there must have been a reason it was scaled down. Can anyone tell me what difference in performance I should expect if I build it in the larger size? I will run a 2700 kv motor on 2200 ma 3s batteries. Thanks.

15. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

Man I know the feeling having major damage on the maiden flight. I crash and have serious damage to at least 4 scratch built planes a year. Most recently, I crashed my F-16 Mk2 on the maiden. Crushed the nose off similar to yours. And like you I decided just to rebuild. Well for me this time the second build flew great. But of course sometimes the repair works as well too. Oh, I just remembered I've crashed the nose on my SU-37 three times. Repaired it using 6 popsicle sticks to reenforce it. Even with the added weight, once she's in the air she's a lot of fun to fly.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  16. Icsbpowell

Icsbpowell Cadet

I hope not to make it a habit. My first scratch built was the F-16 MK2. It's a really fun plane to fly. As much as I enjoy working on my flying skills with an Extreme Flight 60" Laser, I have to say I just have more raw fun with the F-16. What little time I had with the SU-37, I got the impression it is a bullet. Can't wait to find out.

17. Thelic

Thelic Ace Pilot

Lots of people were scaling it down to 80% to get a higher wing loading for more speed and less float. If your still learning the bigger size is probably better.

18. Icsbpowell

Icsbpowell Cadet

I've already got a floater in the F-16 MK2 so I guess I'll stick with the smaller plans. My crash wash due to installation goof and mental lapse in preflight more than lack of experience on the sticks. Thanks for the response.

19. Icsbpowell

Icsbpowell Cadet

OK. The first plane off the assembly line died a nearly instant and painful death. Bird #2 is complete and ready to fly tomorrow. I've checked the servo installation 3 times so I hope I've got it right!

Attached Files:

malukk likes this.
  20. Wow, looks nice and simple...
    Good luck with the maiden