FRCFOAMIES SU37 MK2

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Mar 17, 2013.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wow, Lars, that is a beautiful performance! Looks really nimble with a few oz less. This is so good I liked it twice ;-) I think this is the perfect set up for this. I'm watching it again!

Airflow likes this.
  2. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks! Greg, it is really something special with the FRCF version of the Su platform, you guys have kept the dimensions really close to the original, wings, elev, vert stabs etc. these parts are actually more or less a copy of the original, just scaled-down. And that's what I appreciate so much with your version of it! It gives me a glimpse of how the real full-scale plane actually flies. RCP Su30 and 34 are fantastic in many ways, but the FRCF platform has the right look and a flight pattern that is very similar to the real one.
    This is what separates it from the MiG 2.88, which is a masterpiece of the branch, fictional airplanes.

F1wanabe and malukk like this.
  3. This plane is going up in my build list...
    Just love the looks of it and your videos are awesome as usual Lars...

Airflow and F1wanabe like this.
  4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Airflow and malukk like this.
  5. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

If you decide to build a Su mk2, scale it up to the Mk1 size or larger, you will get a more forgiving plane to fly and lets you correct some pilot errors before it is too late...

F1wanabe and malukk like this.
  6. What scale up size do you recommend?
    110%?

7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Or, you can just build the mk1!Nothing wrong with the mk1! It's 32 inch wingspan.

Our Website :www.frcfoamies.com
    My youtube :www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

Airflow and malukk like this.
  8. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

110-150 Then it will be difficult to get it into the car if you don't have a Dodge RAM or something similar in size.

Here are the dimensions of my Mk2
    Wingspan 117cm/46.06in
    Length from nose to tail boom.
    165cm/64.96in

apklug, F1wanabe and malukk like this.
  9. Perfect! Will look into both mk1 and mk2...

F1wanabe and Airflow like this.
  10. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

They fly just as well both of them, some more design work on the Mk2, the only difference other than size.

malukk and F1wanabe like this.
  11. apklug

apklug Airman

Fantastic as always...impressive. I would like to do something similar with my 36 inch wingspan version. I have always liked the su 35 (no canards). Do you really find canards add much in terms of flight performance.
    Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    Airflow likes this.
  12. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks, All SU works quite well even without canards, they do not have the same important function for the maneuverability, as they have in some deltas. The Gripen is a very statically unstable fighter, and it can not fly without canards. It wants to turn and burn without them. Anyway ... I like canards, It looks so amazingly good in the air on an Su.:)

F1wanabe and apklug like this.
  13. apklug

apklug Airman

Airflow ...the goal of my next build is to achieve slow, in close ,high alpha, maneuverability & hover much like you have done. You have clearly set the bar for the rest of us. My piloting skills are not as sharp as yours. I need to be able to fly this bird in my local parks and there is not as much space as I would like. For my next SU I am considering 1 of 2 power setups (3 cell ... preferably single battery). I would like to use 1 or if needed 2 props but not 3 or 4. I like my designs to stay as simple as possible (I have the motors specified below):

OPTION A
    Motor (dual prop): http://innov8tivedesigns.com/images/specs/Cobra_2213-12_Specs.htm
    Prop: Couter rotating 7x4 APC
    Max static thrust = 1135 g x 2 = 2270 g ... but more battery and ESC weight.
    Perhaps better rudder control than single prop mid mount.

OPTION B
    Motor (single prop): http://innov8tivedesigns.com/images/specs//Cobra_2814-10_Specs.htm
    Prop: Couter rotating 9x4 APC
    Max static thrust = 1917 g... but less battery and ESC weight.
    Perhaps less rudder control than dual prop.

OPTION C (crazy so may be overkill ... but hey it's an option) = dual prop version of option B.
    Prop: Couter rotating 9x4 APC ... 1917 g x2 = 3834 g
    Prop: Couter rotating 8x4 APC ... 1431 g x2 = 2862 g

WHICH SETUP DO YOU LIKE BETTER (and why)?

I have an Eagle Tree ...
    I am going to use my 36 inch wingspan plane (home brew design version1) that I have now as a test platform for now. It currently uses the option B motor with an 8x4 and flies very well but want better thrust to weight ratio. It will require a bit of work to get a 9 inch prop in comfortably. Eventually I will probably need my stock plane to be 38 to 40 inch (new plans needed) to accommodate the props in the options outlined. I don't want to go much larger than that for the wingspan. I may ask for your help enlarging some MK2 plans in the near future ;). Out of interest here is a pic of my 36 inch plane.

2013-08-21 23.06.46.jpg 2013-08-22 11.25.09.jpg

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    F1wanabe likes this.
  14. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

apklug, I need to take a closer look at this ... But where are you going to mount the motors? Classic mid-mounted twin setup. Or on the elevons or in the vertical stabilizers? a good compromise between the two previous options. It gives you a great stability when doing High Alpha.

Here, an example of my favorite high alpha poewrtrain: 1800-2000mAh 3s 2x TGY 2200 Aero Drive
    Without differential thrust. props in Vert Stab.

I would suggest a MK2 in a size of the Mk1. With the motors in the vertical stabilizers. Small motors like the TGY 2200kv .And counter rotating props. 6x4x3 Master Airscrew.

An aircraft in the FRC Mk1 or RCP V4 size is outstanding with this placement of the motors.

Slingshot likes this.
  15. apklug

apklug Airman

Airflow if I go with dual prop I would prefer them in the rudders. If I go with a single it will be traditional mid mount moved forward slightly as I did on my Su35 to get more airflow over the control surfaces. Dave Powers (su30) and Kiko did this as well.

1) How many batteries did you use for the Mig you showed above?
    2) Are there any differences between mk1and mk2 except for size.
    3) Do you have an easy way to scale plans to achieve a target wingspan?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  16. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

OK apklug, whatever you choose, it's your choice, but I recommend dual props, just for better stability and to avoid the "torque syndom".

1. During that flight, a 2000mAh 3s.

2. Mk1 and Mk2 are very similar, just some more design work on the Mk2. one example, the front of the nacelles.

3. No, not really. it requires some work with the calculator, but I usually use the printer software to scale up or down. :)

malukk and apklug like this.
  17. apklug

apklug Airman

Thanks can you tell me what C rating your battery had to run 2 motors.

18. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Sure:) Turnigy 40-50C Discharge

19. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

With the wing cam facing forward 720HD available 2 clicks away.

apklug, Slingshot and TomMonton like this.
  20. Slingshot

Slingshot Ace Pilot

Awesome as always Lars. :)

Airflow likes this.