FRCFOAMIES SU37 MK2

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Mar 17, 2013.

1. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

hi,
    does anyone has experience or rather a comparison between the FRCF SU-37mk2 and the RCPowers SU-30 (and SU-34; v3's or v4's). Does anyone has (built) them both? if yes what can you tell about:
    - building the plane (time, difficulty level...etc.)
    - flight characteristics (maneuverability, high alpha, turns/flips/loops, speed flying,...etc.)
    - ... (features, advantages/disadvantages)

thx

2. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Maiden the great one on Thursday evening.
    ..was my first Su-Quattro flight since September last year, 50% D/R on all axes ... quite cowardly ... so the flight was like a walk in the park ... She took of steady like an eagle. The bigger the better ... The downside ... a large aircraft needs a large hangar ... The 4 Master Airscrew 3 blade 6x4 VS APC Provides some extra Oz to the TGY 2200 motors. But the batteries gets really hot ... Flew with the battery door open, but it did not help.
    She is now 20 oz lighter than last year, but the power/thrust to weight ratio has significantly deteriorated compared with the previous powertrain.

Video later.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Check your Six!!" a Fly!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    BarryM and bogusbandit56 like this.
  3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Unclejamal, the difference between the rcp su30 and the 37 can be described one way: our su37 is more of a scale plane, more for the advanced builder and flier. We start with very scale looks, so the scores and folds are more precise requiring a little more attention. We do have a lot of structure inside to keep it strong as well. So, build time of the frcfoamies su37 is a little longer.
    We also kept the dimensions pretty scale so that the plane is less stable than the rcpowers su30. What this means is that it is extremely maneuverable and reacts quickly to input. If you are an advanced pilot, you will appreciate how the plane reacts to input. It also flies scale meaning it performs rolls and loops, and even cobras in a scale way- more momentum. With the rcp su30, Dave and Scott have a lot if designed in stability which is great for beginner pilots. It is also more stable at vertical angles so high alpha and hover is better on the su30. It also has a lot of lift with the le flaps on there.
    Due to the smaller overall size and wingspan, the FRC su37 is a lot faster than the su30 even with smaller power systems. The drag feels like it's half that of the su30. But, with parkjets, speed really is not all that important.
    Anyway, that's why we say the FRC su37 is more scale: more scale looking and It's meant to be flown more like a scale plane by a more advanced pilot.

4. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Video
    FRC SU-37 XL Quattro Diff-Thrust 2015 edition.

specs

New weight with two batteries. 77.7 Oz Last year 95
    Static force 160 Oz Last year 196 Oz

The new powertrain

4 TGY D2826 / 6 2200kv
    4 TGY Plush ESC 4A
    4 Master airscrew 6x4 three blade.
    2 Zippy Q-Max 2000 mAh + 40c batteries.
    LH / RH props in stabilizers outward rotation.
    LH / RH props on the elevons inward rotation.

Alerons/Flaps/spoilers inactive
    Rudders and elevons only.

1080p HD

Slingshot and bogusbandit56 like this.
  5. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

That looked like a nice relaxing flight, Lars.:) The quattro looks very stable and I found myself thanking my SU34 for a wonderful time last night:D

Slingshot and Airflow like this.
  6. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Ian! Yes, she is the most stable platform I've ever flown. I flew without 3DHH mode during the entire flight. it was kind of like vacuum in the air, not even a single gust.
    Glad to hear that it went well for you as it did for me.:)

Slingshot and bogusbandit56 like this.
  7. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

I just added the SU-37 MK2 to my ready to fly hanger, she weighs in at 590gr AUW. She's ready to fly with her sisters the F-15MK2 which is a great flyer and the F-4 Phantom, which will be on her second maiden flight, the original motor was not strong enough to keep her in the air. We now have a 2700kv with a 2200mAh battery.
    The Girls Ready for flight.jpg

8. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

EDIT: Su-37 XL Quattro
    Before the next flight.
    The batteries became really hot after the first flight! so something must be done, I do not want to mess with any kind of relocation yet.
    trying with some air inlets on both sides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  9. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

Flew my SU-37, what a great little plane. Super stable and responsive. I built it out of Dollar Tree foamboard. It took a little rough landing which ripped the paper cover but no major damage. I gotta say both RCPowers FRCFoamies planes are great. Not sure who's I like better. Everything I've built by both just are top notch. Thank you guys for your great work. Oh, my F4 flew great too using the larger motor.

10. apklug

apklug Airman

Hey what is the wingspan on this plane?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

11. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

The SU-37 has a wingspan of 26 inches or 660mm. Build it you will love it.

F1wanabe, bimoadiprakoso and Airflow like this.
  12. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Oops! The second Su-37 flight so far this year lasted only a minute.;)

1080pHD

A new attempt with some new batteries for tomorrow:)

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  13. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

FRC Su 37 XL Quattro Practice 3rd flight 2015

I put some pressure on it now and it all fits together without any parts that come loose, big birds are amazingly stable when they are flown slowly.

1080HD

14. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

It asks me log in first. ..not set to public view?

Airflow likes this.
  15. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Ah there you go....it just must not have been through the "publish" phase of youtube.

16. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yeah right, was not set to private. I had not even confirmed it to be published. :)

17. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

10 days later to your question...this is my su37mk2. @80%....perfect size for me and has the handling I prefer...look at your flying style and bounce it off the videos and F1's replies. You really can't go wrong with either one.. Follow the plans, build light, and they work....

18. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

A very nice ride FED!
    Su-37 is in my opinion the best foam jet so far by FRCF! number one in the sky, it has hardly any weak spots, it's absolutely outstanding and you never get tired of it ... endless fun!

jimbosflyin and FED50H like this.
  19. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Her fourth flight this season.
    Like flying in vacuum. Can not ask for more ...

1080HD

apklug and bogusbandit56 like this.
  20. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Ready for the next evening round, mounted a Mobius on the tail boom.
    [​IMG]

Slingshot, F1wanabe and bogusbandit56 like this.