FRCFOAMIES SU37 MK2

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Mar 17, 2013.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Haha, you been talking to ASD? :D

flyhighhobbies likes this.
  2. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

4 x TGY 2200kv
    The Su-37 XL Quattro modification goes forward step by step... The powertrain: Away with the HVY NTM 2700 motors, the 60A ESCs, two HXT 900 Spoiler/flap servos that I never used... and finally one of the three 9 Oz 2000mAh 4s batteries. A pic of the two 50g TGY motors mounted on the elevons.
    [​IMG]

3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Excellent Lars! The added pitch and roll from these elevon mounted motors will be a sight to behold!

Airflow likes this.
  4. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I really get a kick out of all the outrageous things you can do to a simple park jet.

Call it "thinking outside the box".

This should be an interesting ride :)

Airflow likes this.
  5. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes Greg, and hopefully at least a 20 Oz lighter plane than (95 Oz) before, due to a lighter powersystem and the removal of a lot of wrapping paper here and there ...

6. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Absolutely Tom, foam is superior to other materials.

TomMonton likes this.
  7. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Found a new aircraft launcher for you too Lars.
    Slinger.jpg

sirskyhi, malukk, lawrenceb and 3 others like this.
  8. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

What a superb idea!! I have trees in the yard, just a volunteer is needed ...:D

You know how to think outside the box Tom!;)

[​IMG]

bogusbandit56, TomMonton and F1wanabe like this.
  9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Nice one, Tom!

TomMonton likes this.
  10. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Su-37 XL Quattro Update.

I've just started with the time-consuming wiring work. The goal.. to have it finished before my summer vacation. The two 60A ESCs are replaced by two smaller 40A. Thinner electrical wiring will also help to bring down the total weight of the plane.
    [​IMG]

11. flyhighhobbies

flyhighhobbies Administrator

Finished the SU-37 mk2, running elevons, rudders, and ailerons on a switch.
    Powered by a power Up 450 Zoom and apc 6x4 prop with a 40a ESC.

This jet will put some excitement at your fingers. Rolls, loops, flips and just overall aerobatic. Flip the switch to activate ailerons and you have a drill bit spin.

I am a big fan of inverted flight and the SU does it naturally.

A step up from the rest.

Attached Files:

12. Fz1Fazer

Fz1Fazer Ace Pilot

Hi,
    I have a RCP SU-34 v4, what are the differences in flying characteristics betrween this bird and my SU-34?
    I'm thinking of building a new one cause mine is a bit heavy but I don't know if I should build another SU-34 or this baby.

13. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Fz1Fazer, our su37 mk2 has a shorter wingspan (26 in vs 32 in) therefore higher wing loading, therefore it is more maneuverable especially with elevons only and has a super scale look. With a little sanding it looks like a store bought plane. Because we gear it to advanced pilots, the plane reacts immediately to input, so you would want to be sure your ready for it. Higher expos and limited throws until you are ready to let loose. Pitch stability is still very good, though so you would want to limit rolls. I am partial to the su35 modification which we also include in the plan.

This has the best compromise between the mig 29 super maneuverability and su37 pitch stability. Essentially, an su37 with no canards. What's nice about the mk2 is that you get super performance even with a small motor like a mjv3 since the weight will be in the 17-18 oz range vs 24 oz or so with the su34. I love how the su34 is very easy to fly and you can do some really nice maneuvers with it. The su37/35 is like the su34 on steroids as far as maneuverability. Let us know what you decide!

Fz1Fazer likes this.
  14. Fz1Fazer

Fz1Fazer Ace Pilot

@F1wanabe
    Thanx for the answer! :)
    Ok, when I see this video, this bird is really on steroids, the maneuverability is amazing but what I can't see is how stable it can be when the inputs are not that hard.If possible I will build with elevon only while the Su-34 needs 4x4 and how I could see this bird can do really hot flying with elevons only.
    I have some 2212-6/2200kv and the NTM PD 2700kv from my Su to test with.
    Wich prop will be best, an APC 6x4 or a 6x3?
    Ok, I will order some 6x3 anyway, cause I think that my little RCP Mig-29 v1 will be better with its 2212-6/2200kv @ 3s with a 6x3 screw than with the 6x4 this time ;)

Edit:
    By the way, I had a look at the plans and the nose of your Su-37/35 is looking very durable with the formers ;)

Edit II:
    The plans show optional KF4s, what should be better for me if I do the SU-35, KF2s or KF4s?
    I think KF4s are better for speed and more neutral when flying upside-down for example, but will I miss the additional lift of the KF2s will produce in slowflight?
    And if I do the KF4s, shoud I use 3mm Depron?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Fz1,you are right! The nose is very durable with the use of formers and the spine travelling through the nose!woth this plane you will want to experiment with low level flying so durability is important. Something I have done on the past few planes is, before completing the nose, I drizzle some gorilla glue into the nose so that it expands after I've finished the nose and solidifies the tip of the nose.
    As far as kf 4, the 3mm us great. I use them for speed and for wind stability. If speed is important but also high alpha and slow flying, I love the 6mm upper and 3mm lower kfs. This gives you a great mix of speed, wind resistance and slow fly ability! Finally, I believe that the kf2 adds a little too much lift on the su35/37 to the point where the plane doesn't feel like it wants to pivot around the cg very easily. If slow flying and high alpha is your thing, it's really good for that. But the plane feels a little lethargic otherwise.

Fz1Fazer and malukk like this.
  16. Fz1Fazer

Fz1Fazer Ace Pilot

Am I right that gorilla glue is the foaming PU-glue?
    Ok, with KF2 only it's like take away the steroids and loose a lot of the amazing agility and thats not what I want, so the mix of 6mm upper and 3mm lower KFs should be the best for me at this bird.

Now, I think I have to order some Depron ;)

17. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

You can't go wrong with the 6mm upper and 3mm lower. Especially if you have any kind of wind in your area. Plus, sanding the leading and trailing edges (along with the beautiful drooping nose) makes it slip through the air nicely.

Fz1Fazer likes this.
  18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Oh, and I'm not familiar with foaming Pu

19. Fz1Fazer

Fz1Fazer Ace Pilot

Thats the yellow foam that comes out of a spraycan and is normally used to install doors, windows, ...

Most of the time the wind is very breezy like it was only in autum in the past, so good windstbility is one of the things I really wanna have on a plane and its the thing why I'm gone from helis to planes ;)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    F1wanabe likes this.
  20. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Gorilla glue is a type of pu but needs water to activate it then it foams, it come in a plastic bottle, used in construction and wood working it is foam safe. It does not foam as much as aerosol gap and insulating PU.

Fz1Fazer likes this.