FRCFOAMIES SU37 MK2

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

No, weight is no a problem, my old FRC Mk1 (Fullback) 100% size, weighs 41 Oz with a Prop Drive, 60A ESC and 3S 2000mAh battery.
    And my big FRC Mk2 XL with 4 motors, weighs 95oz
    Total static thrust = 186 Oz lol :) !

Su-37 Mk2 XL Quattro
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  2. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

After telling friends that I would not be building any more planes for a while, I have capitulated and started to build the FRC SU 37. My first impression after sticking the plans together were, "it`s bloody tiny." I have managed to make all the parts for the plane out of offcuts and scrap depron. As I have made the pieces from scrap I thought I will also scrimp on the carbon rod and wrap the plane in lightweight brown paper. This will add a lot more torsional rigidity than carbon rod to the wing at a slightly higher weight penalty. The process of applying brown paper is a bore, the paper MUST be thoroughly damp and pliable before application with slightly thinned white PVA wood glue, but once applied properly will give the depron a balsa wood like stiffness. I will then give it a coat or two of thinned water based varnish. This will enable me to finish it with any type of paint. This thread continues under the frc su37mk2 build.

FED50H and EricR like this.
  3. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

some peoplehave no will power,its as bad as drink,ones just not enough lol

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  4. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Fortunately I gave up drink because I became alcohol intolerant. If there was anything descent on TV in the evening , I would not have the problem of having to build planes I really don`t have the room for. If the weather does`nt get flyable soon so I can get out and do some serious crashing, I run the risk of drowning in depron.:) Just a few pictures of my SU37 about to be mummified in brown paper. This is not wrapping paper but paint shop masking paper. Although it is lighter it is horrible to work with:( The computers say NO, so f**k it, I wont bother boring you anymore and I`ll just get on and build it.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  5. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

all leads made up but not fitted,put everything on the scales,quite pleased,3lb on the dot,48oz,was goin to try and have it ready for the weekend but decided not to rush it,another week wont hurt especially as i want to get some flying in this weekend.

bogusbandit56, Airflow and F1wanabe like this.
  6. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Things going on.... stuck on the ground, the weekend was blown away ... damn!
    Preparing the big FRC Su-37 Quattro for a new powertrain! Away... with the two elevon NTM's in favor of two smaller motors. Will be lighter this way. (Old RTF weight 95 Oz) I'm gonna install 4 TGY motors with 4x40A TGY plush ESC's, going to make it a lot lighter. two 9 oz 2000 mAh 4s batteries instead of three ... and so on...
    More... New elevons to put on, even new nacelles. The old ones didn't look so good, too wide ... poor scale appearance...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old nacelles...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

jimbosflyin, F1wanabe and malukk like this.
  7. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

she flys,no triming needed.1 of 3 vids,more aerobatics in the other two but choose this one as the planes in frame more of the time.needed a bit of sunshine as well.with the two motors on the back it was quieter than my other singles which was nice.

8. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

tried not to film to the right of me due to a group of people,a young lad learning to fly dead sticked a foamy trainer in the rape field in front of us,after about half an hour of searching in the 5 foot rape with no luck they decided to strap a mobile phone with a video link to another plane to fly over and try and find it,you guessed it,it also went in as well,after about an hour of searching both planes were found intacked so everyone went home happy.

F1wanabe likes this.
  9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Beautiful Andy! Love the sound, stability and the way it flies really scale! Really good flight time too. Great work!

10. royboy3541250

royboy3541250 Airman

Did someone say "Free Plans"? hint hint:rolleyes:

11. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

No they are not "free plans" but they are however ...very inexpensive.

Frcfoamies.com

Airflow and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  12. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

And it's charged with infinite joy ... that never ends!:)

jimbosflyin likes this.
  13. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Just almost finished mine,it's getting the drive train from my alfa jet MK2 and still needs it's markings of The New Lunar Republic Navy,but my printer is out of ink.

Attached Files:

F1wanabe and Airflow like this.
  14. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

quite impressed with the flight times,not goin ballistically mad and a 5 min flight only took 1700 out of a 4000 mah lipo,on my su30,mig and f18 i usually set my timer for 6 min with plenty to spare so i be setting this one nearer to ten,i think i go with 8 as i probally be useing its potential on further flights.

F1wanabe and Airflow like this.
  15. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

filmings got a little better,wish i could say the same about the weather,goin to try twin batterys next time,seems to cook them abit even though im not taking much out of them.thought they would handle a lot better,4000 mah,45-90c

Airflow and F1wanabe like this.
  16. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Wow andy :) you did it Great! in such a windy weather!

17. flyhighhobbies

flyhighhobbies Administrator

The Su37 mk2 has been a slow build for me. Work, family and life has taken priority. Hope to get it finished up in the next week. I need to sand, paint, and add electronics. su37-mk-2-cropped.jpg

malukk, F1wanabe and Boxermad84 like this.
  18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wow, looks great like that, flyhigh! What needs painting? Wow, makes me want to build another :D What power system?

19. flyhighhobbies

flyhighhobbies Administrator

Going with my typical Power Up 450 Zoom 2200kv with 40amp esc from HeadsupHobby with a 6x4 apc prop. I can't wait to throw a 4s into it and watch it scream for mercy.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  20. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

"scream for mercy". .. I like the sound of that
    :D

malukk, lawrenceb and flyhighhobbies like this.