FRCFOAMIES SU37 MK2

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Mar 17, 2013.

1. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I still have mine.:)

EricR and F1wanabe like this.
  2. Combatevolved

Combatevolved Ace Pilot

After much thought my first score and fold build will be the FRC SU-37. I like the design and feel it offers a good progression in complexity from the Mig 29 without being difficult.

lysle42, FED50H, EricR and 3 others like this.
  3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Excellent choice! The mid prop mig is extremely maneuverable which is nice, but the mid prop SU37 takes that maneuverability and refines it! It is much more stable on pitch, has the same roll rate, has lower wing loading and overall feels smoother in transitioning from maneuver to maneuver. We left all the fun in this SU as well, so its super quick in response. For pilots new to the SU it can be too much at first, so we recommend keeping it light, make sure CG is on the mark, keeping throws higher with higher expo on roll. It will be a blast to fly! Looking forward to seeing this, Combatevolved!

lysle42, EricR, homey666 and 2 others like this.
  4. Combatevolved

Combatevolved Ace Pilot

Thanks F1,
    The design and looks of the finished plane are amazing. I just need to practice the score and fold procedure so the end result is half descent. The nachelles look about the right size for my 2, 50mm Dr Mad thrust edfs (maybe for a later project).

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    lysle42, EricR and F1wanabe like this.
  5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

The nice thing about score and fold is that mistakes can be sanded away The main advantage of score and fold is that the building is so quick you can build a learner that will be beat up a little and then a second plane for that you apply all your set up knowledge to that can be a keeper. I away recommend placing all the mass around the cg for maximum maneuverability. So, I mount servos in the forward nacelles, esc along side battery so servos, esc motor and battery are a nice cluster around cg. With edf I'd consider up sizing the plan to 105 percent or 110 percent since we kept the wingspan to a minimum on it! Good luck! When will you start to build?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

lysle42, Combatevolved and EricR like this.
  6. Combatevolved

Combatevolved Ace Pilot

On it now. The top cut out is a Mig29 v1.
    Cutting the Su as a single piece.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    F1wanabe and Wildthing like this.
  7. kjdubuque

kjdubuque Ace Pilot

Be ready to have fun. This plane is awesome!

8. Combatevolved

Combatevolved Ace Pilot

Oh yes mate can't wait. I hope she is better than the Mig 29v1.

F1wanabe and Wildthing like this.
  9. It's a nice solid flyer, does what ever you want just with elevons. I did have KF4's on mine

F1wanabe, Combatevolved and EricR like this.
  10. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

No such thing better than a v1. I love the su27....I've just never been able to keep one for any length of time...tend to fly it too hard and low for it to last...everything it can do, you will find yourself doing, lower and lower, and then trying it inverted...until the inevitable...

11. Combatevolved

Combatevolved Ace Pilot

Half way through the build and I'm in awe of the designer Jay for being so clever with this design, Totally Awesome.

The completed air frame bare is 130g without servos, rx and esc. For a score and fold with a 3d nose thats very impressive.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Boxermad84, EricR, F1wanabe and 3 others like this.
  12. Combatevolved

Combatevolved Ace Pilot

She's coming together nicely. 130g bare AF, auw 313g on 2s, 380g auw on 3s and 413g auw with a 4s graphene. Very clever design I still can't believe the talent of the designer.

Predicting great things from this airframe.

I'm working on Su37 mk2 profile plane conversion which may rival the Mig 29v1 for spills and thrills be interesing to see. 20180411_230055.jpg 20180411_225826.jpg 20180411_215200.jpg 20180412_084954.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Boxermad84, FED50H and Wildthing like this.
  13. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

you will love this plane,mines at 30 1/2 inch span with just a 2212 6x4 prop on 3s,not super fast but a real flyable plane,a great design,not the best vid (something on the lens) but shes a few years old now and this was filmed only a couple of weeks ago.

Wildthing, F1wanabe, EricR and 2 others like this.
  14. Combatevolved

Combatevolved Ace Pilot

Great flying and a beautiful plane you have there Andy. What's the best place for the servos and how did you feed the wire into the electronics bay?

F1wanabe likes this.
  15. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

i cant remember where they were surposed to be but I think theyre in the normal place but hopefully you can get some idea from the photo,s. DSCF1495.JPG DSCF1496.JPG DSCF1497.JPG DSCF1498.JPG

Wildthing and Combatevolved like this.
  16. Combatevolved

Combatevolved Ace Pilot

Thanks Andy, thats givrn me a few more ideas. The skid is a great idea to. It looks like you have the full works of control surfaces activated in terms of rubber, ailerons and elevon. Will it be ok with just elevon mixing?

Cheers Dan.

17. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

elevon mixing should be just fine,weight wise it will be really good.

Wildthing and Combatevolved like this.
  18. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

didn't think I had any footage of my big twin but I found this one,a shade under 35 inch and at 37 oz with out batterys its a big lump,running on 3s (the batteries werent up to the job and used to swell up,still waiting to try it on 4s) but it goes to show what a good design it is,it just flys what ever you throw at it,flying on a cold very windy day with knackered batteries you just cant shoot this plane down and it still surfs the wind.

19. Combatevolved

Combatevolved Ace Pilot

She's so stable and comfortable under power and glides superbly.

Do you did know the i.d. dimension of the nachelles on the full sized SU37? This is screaming for a 50mm or 64mm twin edf project right at me.

20. Combatevolved

Combatevolved Ace Pilot

My wife offered to paint the SU37 while I was at work yesterday and here is the outcome.:) 20180413_084046.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018