FRCFOAMIES SU-37 MK1

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Thelic

Thelic Ace Pilot

Well I think I would drop the EDF size to 64mm and run them inside the nacelles. I may have to oversize the nacelles but it would be close.

I'm not looking for Airflow kind of ridiculousness. More something that sounds and looks scale.

F1wanabe likes this.
  2. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Thelic , can I give you a word of advice, SLOW down with your building or you may get tired of them. Most people who get bitten rush into doing too much and building too many at one go. It is then possible to lose interest in one or more projects. Plus there is the partner factor, you care more about those bl**dy planes than you do me, blah blah.
    You MUST crash more planes to keep the build fly ratio stable:)

MIG, bimoadiprakoso, Airflow and 4 others like this.
  3. Thelic

Thelic Ace Pilot

Yes, your probably right.

It's so hard to stop when each one comes out better than the last as my build technique improves! Each time I learn a new trick, find a new material or figure out a new mod they get lighter/stiffer/smoother. I do try to finish ongoing projects, I have one flyable, one in paint, and one in final sanding at the moment.

I'm also a 27-year-old an engineering student with a bachelors in computer science, this stuff will never bore me. You should see how many hours I've racked up in Kerbal Space Program (a fantastic game where you run your own NASA like program from designing to flying missions) It's so much more exciting to see it in real life though.
    5e8KeQE.jpg

MIG, bimoadiprakoso, EricR and 4 others like this.
  4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

That will save an oz or 2 there, but the battery is the greatest portion of weight on the plane, so maybe 110 percent? It would be much more enjoyable than a high wing loading 100 percent scale. I was like you getting into this. I built a plane every other week for a while there. My daughter counted 42 planes at one point. Most of those threads are off in the rcpowers afterlife somewhere, haha. If I had more time I'd still be building!

Our Website :www.frcfoamies.com
    My youtube :www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

5. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Well I`m a computer illiterate old man, but I have always enjoyed , if not needed to be creative and I love being able to build these planes and better still get into the country side and fly them as well as keep my eye on what is happening in the meadow and the river that runs through it. The hard part for me was catching up with newer technology especially programming my Turnigy 9xr, which I have now got to grips with the language. I returned to the hobby after 28 years and can`t believe the the stuff you can buy (or make) everything has got so much smaller and a lot less expensive. A basic 4channel TX was £120.00 in the 1980`s. Now you can get in the air for half that now.
    I expect to see some very interesting own designs from you in the near future, all the best bb56.

MIG, F1wanabe, bimoadiprakoso and 3 others like this.
  6. MIG

MIG Airman

Thanks Greg.... I am Learning!!! I think I missed a couple cuts, and will do a second one, right? So, this is the tad bit smaller bird..80%, single motor, and I was wondering if I should just do elevons? I have been flying elevons in a Flite Test F 22.... And I have not totalled out my third ver yet.. Ha!
    So, should I try the Elevons with elevators and the alerons doing same thing, or ?
    Here's my progress.... Straightest build so far. I appreciate you guys helping me go advanced..
    Scott

7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

HA! The su37 mk2 is about 80 % so you're doing the MK2? I gave you the link for that thread too. Elevons only are really good on the su37 especially at this size....

MIG likes this.
  8. MIG

MIG Airman

9. MIG

MIG Airman

Oh heck, I don't know anymore.. Lol. Yup, you sent both, Twin vari thrust and/or the mid mount.

Attached Files:

bimoadiprakoso and F1wanabe like this.
  10. Fz1Fazer

Fz1Fazer Ace Pilot

@MIG
    When I look at your last pic around the KFs it seems that you didn't peel off the paper of your foamboard before you put it together, but as I know it will separate by itself, so allways glue foam to foam and never foam to paper to foam.

bimoadiprakoso, MIG and e3_Scott like this.
  11. MIG

MIG Airman

"Fz1Fazer, post: When I look at your last pic around the KFs it seems that you didn't peel off the paper of your foamboard before you put it together, but as I know it will separate by itself, so allways glue foam to foam and never foam to paper to foam.

I Appreciate the comment. I will do that on my keeper plane, next. Do the KF's need to be 25% of wing cord, do you know, and I assume that the KF Step" is necessary, (I should not blend the step?) Thanks!! Are there tips for getting the nose "Pretty".... I hope I carve the turkey better than the nose on this beauty.. (sorry Greg, Butchered the nose a bit. I'll get better an Make ya proud)

scott

Attached Files:

• nose.jpg
      nose.jpg
      File size:
      977.1 KB
      Views:
    bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  12. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Mig, the kfs need to have the step - that's where the magic happens. Also, the kfs must be symmetrical so that you don't have more lift on one side. You can always sand out imperfections! Unless there's paper on the nose, that is

Our Website :www.frcfoamies.com
    My youtube :www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

bimoadiprakoso and MIG like this.
  13. MIG

MIG Airman

Oops, paper, dang.. Lol :-D

14. Fz1Fazer

Fz1Fazer Ace Pilot

@MIG
    You can separate the paper from the foam with any kind of alc or benzine but this will also destroy your hot glue joints.

15. MIG

MIG Airman

QUOTE="F1wanabe, The su37 mk2 is about 80 % so you're doing the MK2?
    Thanks, and since it's cold and rainey here, I am going to paint it pretty, before maiden, cause, well, I need practice.

I LUV the videos.... I will hope to flyby like that.. FUN or What!! Thanks, happy thanksgiving.

p.s. whats YOUR recomendation for quick build , ez fly, plans you and Jay have, for beginner? I can get the Dollar tree Foam, in black, for .88 apiece, and the black peals off the easiest.. I have not tried Depron yet, with the carbon strips.

So little time, so much to learn.. "The more I know, the more I know how little I know"

Gotta build the Mossey, because its so dang good looking! (ill marvel at it a while, I can look at it and postpone maiden crash till spring, warm weather...
    cheers!

16. MIG

MIG Airman

Magic, I Knew it.... Magic!!! Like the Magic smoke from an over heated ESC.... Once the smoke leaves, the Magic is gone
    ...luv it. Ty

bimoadiprakoso and F1wanabe like this.
  17. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

18. TacticalFlight

TacticalFlight Ace Pilot

Seems as though some don't like to return my messages,thank you.I will figure it out myself.

19. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Ah, it seems as though Tapatalk likes to hide private messages in a very inconvenient place now. I miss the old Tapatalk.... I have not tried those motors, but the power up zooms and sports are very good!

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

Wildthing likes this.
  20. TacticalFlight

TacticalFlight Ace Pilot

Nearly ready for its maiden flight.Thank you for the advice,help and info F1wanabe!

Attached Files:

F1wanabe and Wildthing like this.