FRCFOAMIES SU-37 MK1

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Sep 15, 2012.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I used the term to describe the use of the canards to route air over the wing root but a more accurate term is LEVCON, or leading edge vorteces controller. As I mentioned in the su34 video, it routes airflow over the wing at higher angles of attack. It isn't a radio mix though...

RCPowers SU34- Tuned Canards= Awesome Flying!:

Airflow and lawrenceb like this.
  2. fmt2bx

fmt2bx Ace Pilot

ok thanks, I have seen that term (in the forum) used a lot but couldn't figure out what it referred to.

3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

It really does help throughout the whole flight envelope, and especially in high alpha. Hope you get a day to fly, Frederic!

fmt2bx likes this.
  4. vian31

vian31 Rookie

Good morning all. I am a french builder of the SU37 MK1 => after watching all your videos, I fell in love with that foamie ! I will post some pics soon. I think it is a "prototype" as by moving up in the building I encoutered some issues that I expect to not copy on a next... The result is a twisted plane, not too good for straight flight ! But wait and see the maidens soon...

Power will be given by a 2500KV motor with 6x4 APC prop and 70A ESC. Battery will be 2200mAh. I put full controls as both rudder servos, both ailerons and of course both elevons. I have mixed these 7 channels in my TH9X+OpenTx and I hope no mistakes done !

Then I have a question to F1 and Boxermad84: I would like to cut the next foam by laser cut. Thus is it possible to get a vectoring file of the plan like .svg or .eps ?

Many thanks to all for advices, good remarks and cheers. Obviously a big big MERCI to the authors of this funny foamie.
    Kind regards.
    Vianney

5. vian31

vian31 Rookie

One quick pic before painting...

[​IMG]

bobdabilduh55 likes this.
  6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

The su looks straight from here, Vianni! The very scale score and folds need a little practice to make them straight, but the next one will be better, I'm sure. A little sanding might help?
    I'm sorry, but we only furnish the pdf file for printing. I look forward to seeing you fly!

7. vian31

vian31 Rookie

Thanks F1. You're right, I got issues with the folds parts... But now I am on the way.
    Paint is finished. Remains the radio and the most important: weighting & balancing... Regarding that, there is no sigle for the CG, just the two letters "CG", quite unprecise. Shall I believe that it is only a reference as the a/c could be balancing a little bit differently as per pilots' wishes ?
    Rgds
    Vianney

8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

The cg letters are pretty precise since you would find the center of the "c" and "g" and you would be within an 1/8 of an inch of cg. Any cg Mark is a suggested starting point and as you say, you should experiment and fine tune it yourself.

9. Bosstech76

Bosstech76 Cadet

Built mine with close to the same setup. Had to move the battery forward about an inch. Was crazy tail heavy and very nerve racking maiden. I have built 2 mk2 planes and one mk1. All three ended up with the right wing being twisted down. Probably something I did. But didn't catch what it was.

10. fmt2bx

fmt2bx Ace Pilot

Maiden the SU37 Mk1 today, I love it!!!! :)
    I started the build with the Twin config then converted with Mid-mount. Using the NTM 2700 and 6x4APC.
    I am still working on the CG. The first flight was too forward. I retrofitted the space behind the canopy to accommodate the battery. I'll try again tomorrow.
    Anyway, even with CG a bit forward this plane flies very well, fast and super responsive with very scale perf.
    Thanks FRCFoamies! :)

Cheers.
    Frederic

SU37mk1S.JPG

Newt, FED50H, Airflow and 2 others like this.
  11. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Brilliant, what a nice look! Frederic

F1wanabe and fmt2bx like this.
  12. fmt2bx

fmt2bx Ace Pilot

Hey Airflow here you are!!
    Thanks.I Love that plane!!
    It is a bit on the heavy side as it was originally the twin version but Geez, that thing flies really really well.
    How about you, anything going on RCwise?
    Nice to see you here!
    Cheers

F1wanabe and Airflow like this.
  13. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes Frederic, nice to have some time for the hobby again! I just finished a renovation of some rooms in the house. Absolutely, the Mk1 is a bit larger than the Mk2 and truly wonderful to fly, it carries a lot of weight without any problems!

EDIT... Yes, I'm almost ready to fly my X-32

F1wanabe and fmt2bx like this.
  14. fmt2bx

fmt2bx Ace Pilot

Can't wait to see that Lars.
    On my way to the field right now with kids. Gorgeous weather here today and we are gonna burn some batteries on the SU37 and 30..
    Cheers

F1wanabe and Airflow like this.
  15. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Frederic, Nice to hear about the good weather in Seattle! Your rainy weather has parked here where I live now .. ;-) Good luck with the flight!

F1wanabe likes this.
  16. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

got my local library to print the su 37 mk 1 plans for me,and ive just taken a look at them and they have come out at 34 inch,will this be to big or should i try and get them redone,thx anyone

17. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

34 will work fine! The SU mk1 was about 120 percent larger than the MK2 so its almost right. Load it up with a big power system and battery and enjoy some low wing loading!

Airflow likes this.
  18. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

thx f1 better check on my foam stock then

19. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

i was going to make another su30 but decided on the su 37,i wanted it the same size as the su 30 so scaled it down to 30 inch,94%,the size and power seems just right for my flying needs.i was goin to enlarge the mk2 but when youve got a printer like mine i gave up on it,i could buy another printer but would rather spend the money on more planes.well the planes all stuck together so its all go.

Airflow and F1wanabe like this.
  20. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

done my usual and made card templates,all cut out and ready,so if the weathers bad at the weekend i be busy building.

F1wanabe likes this.