FRCFOAMIES SU-37 MK1

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

oh ok gm3. That motor is not suitable for Su-Mk2. That motor needs a larger prop than a 6x4.

2. gm3

gm3 Top Gun

Airflow likes this.
  3. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Here is a bench test of the 2200kv Motor, but he uses a 7x3 EMP prop. I used a 6x4 APC (35-38 Oz) and 5x5 APC (25 Oz)
    Turnigy 2826 6 2200kv - Bench Test - 1.2KG Thrust @ 32A

4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Airflow, I'm perplexed. I have never ever gotten over 27 oz thrust on 6x4 3s. The numbers you are getting is equivalent to the 2700 kv, 450 watt ntm prop drive.

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

5. gm3

gm3 Top Gun

f1 is perplexed!:eek: hmm perplexing:D

6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Well, I know Grey was getting 30 oz and that was really good. But 35-38 is 4s types of thrust for that size motor.

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

7. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

"The numbers you are getting is equivalent to the 2700 kv, 450 watt ntm prop drive."
    Yes, I was perplexed too Greg!, When I saw this guy's bench testing. 1.2 kg ..
    So I tried it before I tested my twin Dragon. With two 5x5 APC Props ..
    I got out 2x25 Oz ... Then I had to test with 6x4 ... 2x35 Oz,peaked for a moment 38 Oz...
    Battery Turigy 1.3 nano-tech. I'll redo the test tomorrow to reassure me.
    I am sure that my scale is Ok, going to check it anyway...

8. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

It may be added that I was a little disappointed at my NTM PD Got out 40 Oz. The Su Fullback weighs 41

9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I've got the distributor spec sheet frim rctimer. The pull of this motor on 3s is listed as 630g which is slightly less than I thought I was getting. But way back when I was having a discussion with someone about the merits of the mjv3 on the alpha jet. I saw no performance gain by adding a 2826 to it. In fact, the added wing loading of the 2826 and 30 amp esc was noticeable. So, I'd say this isn't too far off for 3s. [​IMG]

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

10. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Nice, that motor seem to be almost the same as the Turnigy 2200...

11. poormansairforce

poormansairforce Airman

I have both of those motors and I've never been that impressed with them on my thrust stand or a plane, both pull 29 amps and make 27-28 oz thrust. On the back of my just finished but un-maidened F-20 they both put out 24 oz thrust at identical amps due to being behind the exhaust nozzle. I do think they unwind better than the mjv3 if speed is what your after but they are inefficient, at least statically. You can not beat the mjv3 or my favorite cheap $8 2208 2150KV motors for efficiency! Hopefully e3scott's testing will make better sense of this, especially current draw at half throttle. My testing on the 2826s indicated a high amp draw at half throttle i.e. 12 oz thrust at 22 amps! I'm anxious to see how this F-20 acts with a 2826 verses the old one with a 2208 2150KV.

Airflow likes this.
  12. poormansairforce

poormansairforce Airman

I need to clear something up. I knew I got decent thrust on the thrust stand from the 2826 but couldn't remember how much. I just know I go by what it makes in the average plane which is 27-28oz. I finally found my documentation and it made 34oz thrust at 33 amps. Didn't do a 50% test until it was in a plane but seems very high. So your not crazy!;):D

13. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Poormansairforce, I do not really trust these motors ... or am I crazy, already :)
    I have never been able to get as much power out of this motor,,, that the guy on youtube gets out of his motor .... 1.2 oz kg/42.328... Prob. Fake....
    One of my motors seem to be more powerful than my other 10 motors. 38 oz for a short moment. Have taken out an unused motor (for bench testing) from my recent HK delivery. Here is the result. Only 25-26 oz ... pretty bad ...
    I have a movie on the test, but have not put it on youtube.

Equipment.
    Power Analyzer HK-010
    Motor Turnigy D2826/6 2200KV
    Prop: 6x4 APC
    ESC FlyFun/Turnigy Plush 40A
    Battery: Zippy 2000mAh 45C Series
    Radio: 9x
    T/Rx: FrSky DJT/V8FRII 8CH

14. poormansairforce

poormansairforce Airman

How many amps was that? I don't think your crazy at all...kinda of been my point that these things are not that great even though they love them on the HK website. I think its one of the cases of not enough info in a coherent form. I think the KV of these cheaper motors varies dramatically. Thats why I urged e3_Scott to check the 50% throttle specs.

15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

This is why I question the 30 plus numbers. The only way you'll get 30 plus is on 4s, and that will not be reliable. I've got 4 of these motors and on any plane exceeding 25 oz they've struggled. In fact, the heads up 450 zoom feels like it's got 30 % more power and it's rated at 33 oz.

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

16. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

"I think the KV of these cheaper motors varies dramatically"
    Poormansairforce, I agree with you!
    Amps around 28

Yes! The thrust seems to vary between individuals of this motor. But it is cheap and reliable. And it has never let me down. It does not get hot in the bearings that some individuals of the brand NTM motors ... That motor is too expensive for what you get. When it comes to Turigy D2826/6 .. Well... I'm just disappointed with the variations in the thrust but not the engine in general. Cheap and reliable when compared to the more expensive NTM Prop Drive Motors. I have mounted an NTM 2700kv in my 42 Oz Su-34 Striker. Should be fun to see if the temperature remains normal over a period of time?
    Here is the test I did today July 15th

[​IMG]

The movie clip

17. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Greg! Now you can see my youtube test in the thread. New motor straight from the package:)

18. poormansairforce

poormansairforce Airman

Agreed, they are cheap and reliable. If you ever wanted to learn to rewind motors these would be great ones to do it on since I think it could make them much better!

19. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes exactly!!:)

20. vitricida

vitricida Rookie

hello everyone! We are building two of these with the same motor (Turnigy D2826-6) you are talking about, with a 40 AMP ESC and 2200 mah 25C batteries (Turnigy). That power plant worked wonderfully for us on 4 aircrafts weighting over 1,100 KG (a 1.2 m wide correx MiG-3 and a correx Cessna with the same size and weight). We bought 4 of these motors and NO PROBLEMS at all! The only detail is that we use 7x4 props. Will this prop fit right in this model?

If you want to see this power setup in action: