FRCFOAMIES SU-37 MK1

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Sep 15, 2012.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Thanks for your kind words Airflow! Beautiful airplane! I have to ask, do you have a Polaris? With water access like that.....

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

Airflow likes this.
  2. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Greg! I Maiden my Polaris when the lake was ice-covered. We have a boat in the lake during the summer. And a summer place on the West Coast, where we have another small boat. But it is salt water in the ocean so I will do my first water start from the lake that you see in the picture.

Here are our two "Polaris Rescue Boats" :) never know in case something happens during the Maiden. I do not have to swim :)

"Rescue One" For the Lake
    [​IMG]

"Rescue Two", for the West Coast
    [​IMG]

You have obviously missed my Polaris Maiden movie... Here It Is.
    A nice Hight Alpha machine at low speed. The film is taken where I have the boat in the summer. Some nice slow low passes too!

3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I remember it now, airflow! I remember the ice. Ideal, isn't it. I lived the Polaris so much that I made a 150 % version and converted it into a aqua cat. I'll be selling it to AsSoulsDream (bj) next month.

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

4. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yeah, I've seen your Cat movie, nice! :) But I love Deltas. And the Polaris Is a great delta plane! I hope it will do well on water too. Yes a 150-200% Polaris would be nice!

oh.. btw, On my FRC wish list... when will it happen. the first FRC sea plane! ;-)

5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Newt likes this.
  6. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Greg:Dlol I've seen it and I know we've talked about it, and you discouraged me from building an Alpha Jet for marine use, this past winter when I put skis on my Alphajet. :)

7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Well, what I meant is that it will need lots of modification. There was a lot of pitch stability problems with the pontoons, so a large redesign would be in order! Another thing is cg. The cg for good flying is bad for ground take off. But, maybe after the fly in I'll take one of the two alpha jets and revisit it.

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

8. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Ok, If it can be solved without losing the unique flight characteristics of this airplane. Well, then it would be brilliant!

F1wanabe likes this.
  9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Airflow likes this.
  10. apklug

apklug Airman

Hi guys,
    This is one of my favorite posts / build logs. I am planning on doing something very similar. A few questions for you guys.
    1) Eagletree Gyro vs FY30A: any thoughts between the two and which would be better for stable high alpha manoeuvres. I have an older FY20A (barely used) but may trade up to get maximal performance.
    2) I have a couple of NTM 2200 and was thinking of doing a single 7x5 APC mid mount design, 3 cell 70 amp ESC. I am looking to achieve a well controlled parkjet that can really slow down do high alpha and remain stable (tall order). The parks around me are not too big so fast and furious is not always fun. The wingspan should probably be between 28 and 38 inches but I am not sure what the sweet spot would be to get the flight characteristics I want. What do you think of this setup / configuration given what I want to achieve? Suggestions are welcome!!!
    3) Do you think the F18 in V3 or V2 style/size would be a better airframe to do this with or are canards the way to go? I have not messed with active canards before but am more than up to it.

11. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

apklug, I would choose the Eagle tree before FY-30A It is better suited for FPV. Eagle tree stabilizer has a number of advanced settings in 3D mode, if you connect it to your computer via USB. F-18 is a very good High Alpha plane. Carnards is not necessary for good high alpha. I've tried the Guardian 2/3D stab. on my RCP F-22 and it manages to keep the plane flying with COG very far back. A common gyro works otherwise very good for high alpha on a rear-mounted jet Check Jeriah's RCP F-22 Video

Kiko12 and apklug like this.
  12. apklug

apklug Airman

Thanks I have never done fpv but I am interested in the differences between the Eagle tree guardian and FY30A 3D performance... Have you used both.... Can you elaborate on that aspect? By the way I am really looking forward to your video footage. Great build!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Airflow likes this.
  13. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thank you :) well, I've never tested the FY30. but I think it will help to keep the plane level during normal flight. It has not the same kind of stunt mode/3D ??as the Guardian 2/3D
    Go to Eagle Tree Systems www.eagletreesystems.com and download the manual (PDF) for the Guardian to get an idea of ??how it works.

14. apklug

apklug Airman

They both have 3D mode but I don't know which is better. It is good to know that you have had success with the Eagle Tree and the USB features do look neat. I would not be surprised if they were in fact made in the same factory.

http://www.feiyu-tech.com/product-en.php?id=13

15. apklug

apklug Airman

Just found this thread ... later on in the thread there are actually some cool comparisons.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1596644&highlight=fy30a

16. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yeah you never know ... According to what I've heard, the Eagle Tree Systems is an American brand, their products are developed in U.S.. But manufactured in Taiwan. FY30 is a Chinese product made in China. Guardian has an AUX output for separate ail/elev. The reason I bought the Guardian, was that it is an American brand, and I wanted to have separate outputs for ail/elev for my Delta J35.

17. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

I am about to set the Carnard angle of this aircraft. Max angle down for my Mk2 is 40 degrees. It Should also work well on the Mk1, Jay, Greg?

18. Yup that what I use on my 120% as well

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2

19. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Sounds good ASD Thanks!

20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Airflow, the su37 mk1 would be good for rear mount since the elevons would still be attachable on the back of the wing. FYI ;-)

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

Airflow likes this.