FRCFOAMIES SU-37 MK1

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

2. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

And my elevons didn't rip off! I tried... stupid fabri-tac and drywall tape! :p

FatherAndSons likes this.
  3. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

5. mpmilesjr

mpmilesjr Airman

I'm sure glad you like that trick...maybe someday you can get a bigger motor and bust those stupid hinges loose like back in the day of tape hinges lol

e3_Scott likes this.
  6. mpmilesjr

mpmilesjr Airman

Where do I get plans to mod the Su-37 to a 35? That looks like a nice weekend build for me to do while i am home .

7. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

8. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Hi all FRC SU pilots and you who are considering taking the plunge ...

Another step closer ... The job of gluing hinges on all control surfaces has begun. Rudder horn to be placed, linkage to the elevator, etc.. Elevator attachment consists of a carbonfiber rod. Bluebird 181 Oz servo will be used here ... to be on the safe side. Otherwise, just 9g HK standard servo for canards, ailerons and rudders. Once the hardware is installed, I will grind the aircraft one last time before the final painting. My purpose is not to get a perfect finish. It'll just look decent in the air. Brown paper has made ??the plane incredibly stiff (balsa character). I hope it will give the feel of a balsaplane when I fly it.

Epoxy to attach a Bluebird servohorn to the carbon rod.
    [​IMG]

Secured by drilling and inserting a piano wire.
    [​IMG]

Uses real hinges. All control surfaces, made of 3mm Depron and brown paper.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kiko12, Newt and e3_Scott like this.
  9. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Wow Airflow, I am always so mesmerized by your amazing build, I keep forgetting to ask, is that one going to be a rear motor mount plane? It looks more awesome everytime I see it, great work, I am humbled by your finishing and painting skills.

Cheers,

Scott

10. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks Scott. :) Yup! a rear motor mount plane, I'll see how it will work... Ntm PD 2700kv.

It's very hard to get a good finish with spray cans, dries differently and gives a mottled surface:confused: ... Considering the use of my komressor powered paint sprayer in the future.

e3_Scott likes this.
  11. whats the AUW and what did you use on the paper as glue, as well as what kinda paper

12. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

ASD/ To make it more rigid, I dressed it in reinforced brown paper from the bookstore. This made it stiff as an old-fashioned balsa construction. All ruder surfaces are replaced with 3mm Depron. Least 4 times stiffer than painted 6 mm Depron, the weight remained unchanged.

The paper needs to be at least 5 minutes in water, it should be saturated with water. Apply the glue to the aircraft/Depron and the paper, with plenty of glue!. Smooth out air bubbles.The glue should be mixed with about 40-50% water, depends on brand. I'm using the frost-resistant white glue/wood glue for outdoor use.
    the stripes in the paper to go along with the wings, do not cross!. the shiny side should be up/out.

The Car paint I used was heavy. So the plane will weigh 39-44 Oz depending on battery size. This weight is no problem for this aircraft says Greg.

ASD likes this.
  13. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Airflow -

Just thought I would bring my response to your last comment in the F22 thread over here since it was maybe more appropriate.

Of the 4 planes I have built and flown thus far that I have felt the most comfortable with the quickest, the Mig29 V1, the F18 V2, the F22 V2 and the Su37 full size, the Su37 is definitely the cream of the crop in that group of thoroughbreds based on my flying experiences and abilities, at least in my humble opinion.

I'm not sure if it is the amazingly cool design and shape of it, or just the fact that it is just that little bit smoother handling than the others, but it definitely stands out from the pack. It continually blows my mind that for such a big plane and with the AUW I have (about 1.2Kg), it is still so amazingly nimble and aerobatic. I don't have full controls activated, just elevons and independent ailerons, so I am sure with canards it will dance even more sharply for you.

I can thrash my Su37 around all day and it keeps coming back for more and although I have flown myself into some pretty tight corners at times, I have been confident enough in the handling of the Su37 and it's response coupled with the brute force of the NTM Prop Drive to get myself out of trouble (touch wood...;)).

I look forward to seeing your variant of this great plane fly...:)

Cheers,

Scott

Airflow likes this.
  14. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Scott, Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences regarding these four aircraft.
    It sounds great that it flies so well even with a weight of 1.2 kg! But it is streamlined when compared to RCP F-22 which has quite a lot of resistance in the air. My SU becomes heavy, around 39-44 Oz about equal to your SU. Thank you very much Scott!:)

15. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Time to introduce some new photos of one of my two slow builds. SU-34
    All rudders are now in place except the canards. The elevator is extremely rigid, even though it is made ??of 3mm Depron without carbon reinforcements. It proved to be a great solution that has worked without problems on my little Su-37. Wrapping paper is a great solution to avoid rudder flutter at high speeds. The Motor is in place. PD 2700 kv. The plane is very heavy because of the heavy car paint, so I doubt that this striker is going to be anything other than a Sunday evening cruiser in calm weather. :cool: Some plans are underway to install the powerful Turnigy motor I should use in my big Dragon, but it will probably be just an overkill ...:confused: in a SU of this size. Have also started to install the remaining servos. I have installed a proper servo for the elevator. Same as in my RCP F-22 V2. A Bluebird 181 Oz:D Mg Servo, weighing about 50g. Using a standard 9g servo for Carnards. ESC TG 60A plush. For stability, I have chosen an eagle tree Guardian 2/3D stab. that works great in my RCP F-22.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If all goes according to plan, the maiden voyage is scheduled in about 4 weeks if the weather is on my side.:rolleyes:

Kiko12, apklug, Newt and 1 other person like this.
  16. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Airflow -

Looks awesome! You might be pleasantly surprised with the speed and power you get out of your NTM Prop Drive 2700 on this plane. I was just flying mine (the 100% Su37 MK1) today, I put a wattmeter on the setup I have, I am running a Red Brick 60A ESC and had a 3S 45-90C discharge battery and the wattmeter gave me 50A and 550W.

Perhaps due to the swept wing and other aerodynamic factors, my Su37 is probably the quickest of my big planes, even though it is 100-150 gr heavier than my F18 and F22 V2s. My Su37 weighs about 1.1Kg with battery and it scoots along really well, great acceleration and the thrust allows me to do some pretty insane tumbles for such a big, heavy plane. I don't get the pure vertical climbout and acceleration with it as I do with the lighter planes where I use the Prop Drive, but the Su37 moves and handles awesome with the Prop Drive I have with the power output I am getting.

I guess the proof will be when you first toss her in the air, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised if you are getting decent performance out of your Prop Drive and your plane isn't too much heavier than mine.

Best of luck!

Cheers,

Scott

Airflow and apklug like this.
  17. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

amazing detail airflow! i love it, cant wait for you to maiden this one. it looks so good.

Airflow likes this.
  18. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Sir! Thanks for sharing your test results. I've done the same thing. But I only got 520W. The motor is brand new and I have never run it before, and I think that's the reason. It is perhaps a bit harsh.. probably needs a few flights before it delivers full power. The propeller wasn't carefully balanced, and can affect the outcome as well.
    My powertrain
    Prop - APC 6x4
    Batt - 1300mha 3s 40C+
    Esc - Turnigy 60A Plush

With the right COG setting and a good throw, it'll probably then fly just as well as you say. :)

Thank you very much Scott!

19. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks Jay! This aircraft had never become a reality without your nice Mk1 platform. Greg's flight videos was also a factor that convinced me to start working with this build. The oats on the field outside my doorstep grows well at the moment, can be useful when it is time for Maiden.
    ;)
    [​IMG]

20. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Airflow likes this.