FRCFOAMIES SU-37 MK1

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Sep 15, 2012.

1. jhova17

jhova17 Airman

i cant believe you use cheap dollar store paint ,im in shock your painting looks like some real expensive painting that takes hours or something to do or get right! i just started doing your spackling thing and it works amazing but i saw the cheap paint in the dollar store the other day and i wanted to get it but i was so nervous cause its so cheap i didnt want to take the chance now im definately gonna atleast try, i just bought like twelve testers paint cans but they look like there so small online and there 4 dollars each. im goin back to the dollar store...lol

2. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks so much, it does work really well on depron anyway, I would imagine it would work well on FFF also, not sure about the dollar tree foam with the paper on it.

Give it a try on a piece of scrap first and see what you think, it dries with a very flat finish although I have seen some at Micheal's that was gloss. The main reason I started using it was cost as the Testor's paint here was costing me about $7 a can whether I bought it at my LHS or ordered from Grayson or other places. Plus the acrylic is just so easy to use as it dries quick and cleans up with water.

A little does go a long way, so I always start with small amounts and add small amounts at a time on my brush to get the depth of color that I want without adding too much weight.

It is important to really rub down the edge of your masking tape to prevent "bleeding" underneath the tape due to the slightly uneven surface of the foam. Once I get mine placed where I want, I carefully go along with my fingernail along the edge. As I have mentioned before, if you do paint over tape, it will rub off the tape fairly easily and if you have masked over tape, when you pull your masking tape off it will more than likely lift some paint up off the tape you have applied to your plane.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Scott

jhova17 likes this.
  3. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Scott, This is the color .... This gorgeous second generation Volvo V70 -04 has a color called Anthracite gray. Which is actually quite similar! except that the clear coat missing on that nasty Russian beast.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Working with surface and shape, a lot of filler, old primer and so on ... to get an acceptable surface before the top coat.

Thanks Scott for your great proposal!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kiko12 and e3_Scott like this.
  4. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

No worries, Airflow, I just happened to get lucky when I went looking for it, I had not seen it before either, I thought the only paint scheme was that blue one we had both seen before. Can't wait to see the finished product, I'm sure it will be absolutely amazing!

I'm taking a bit of a pause from my Su37 MK2 with Su35 mod as I already had all the pieces cut out for an F22 V2 before I got the bug and built my F18, so figured I would be able to get another bird in the air pretty quick by putting all those pieces together! Should have it done in a few days unless the weather keeps staying nice...then I'll be flying instead!

Cheers,

Scott

Cheers,

Scott

5. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Has anyone tested the 7x4 APC prop on an SU (Rear-mounted version of the Su 37) with PD 2700kv motor
    I have deliberately built my SU Strike flanker rigid and firmly heavy for realistic flight characteristics, the right feel with raw kinetic energy to play with. ETW of 43-46 Oz. I have a whole bunch of standard propellers 6x4 but also some 7x4.

A little paint job remains
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kiko12, e3_Scott and Wsamoset like this.
  6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Airflow, I know the airframe can easily handle that weight because my twin was about that weight. But for one single motor on 7x4 might be tough to get a 1:1 ratio.

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

7. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks, sounds great Greg! Do you know if the motor needs to be mounted a few degrees out of the aircraft's longitudinal direction to counteract the torque direction?

8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Airflow likes this.
  9. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Wow, Airflow, I am in complete awe of your finish and paint job thus far, truly incredible, that plane is going to look absolutely amazing in the air, congratulations on an amazing job thus far!

Cheers,

Scott

Airflow likes this.
  10. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks Scott! :) I will pressent better pictures when finnish work is completed, it's nice to have a project that takes time, as long as you have other flyable planes to play with ;) After this, it's time to move on with the next in pipe line :) By the way! I guess it's not far to go with your F-22. Maybe maiden the coming week!?

e3_Scott likes this.
  11. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

I did maiden her yesterday, wrote a bit of report in the F22 thread, but alas, an epic FAIL on my part to not get video, in my excitement to get to the field, I forgot my camera!!!:mad::eek::oops:

But it handled beautifully other than a little blip on the first launch as I found the true CofG and trimmed it up for roll. It also looked very nice in the air with that paint scheme, so I am very happy with it!

Cheers,

Scott

12. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

HAHA! you already did Scott. Congratulations Scott! Defected to the F-22 thread after I posted... Looking forward to the video next time ;-)
    F-22 is a forgiving aircraft. Good thing you managed to save it. I'll try COG 4 "back next time.

13. jhova17

jhova17 Airman

i watched your walk around video and you are very right ! This build is a little challenging , it is a excellent detailed design . I like these scratchbuilds more than a lot of others but it was hard to see the detail in the build pics cause of the glare in the pics from the light in the window I found your video the most informitave about where everything goes. I just can't figure out a few things like what are the three long slots on the long hatch piece there on both sides? Then my pieces on the main wing some slots were a little wider than the others on the wings I can't understand why? I wish the build pics were a little more detailed and like even the rc powers plans have more pics and a little process description, only cause these plans are a little harder and iv built a lot of planes, I thaught it would be a lot easier but I can't wait to see it at the end.once I finish I should build another with a build video to help people figure it out easier.thanks for taking time to do that video.!!

14. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

I'm glad the video was of use to you, thanks for the kind words. The double wide slots on the wing plate are to accomodate tabs from both the fuselage and nacelles/intakes, the fuselage tapes go closest to the centreline and the intake/nacelle tabs go on the side towards the wingtips.

For the three long slots, are you talking about the upper fuselage piece? When you slide the top piece on, there will be small strips of foam that go along the bottom of the wing plate which the lower fuselage piece glue on to. This is a very tricky part of the built, I actually broke one of the long thin pieces off when I built mine. Those slots on the fuselage piece accommodate the wing plate after you put the tabs on the fuselage piece into the corresponding slots on the wing plate. Hopefully I have not confused you more, but in a nut shell, the wing plate gets sandwiched between those long strips of foam and the main part of the top fuselage.

Cheers,

Scott

15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Because these are geared for advanced builders we decided not to make build videos thinking that if you've built a few other planes you shouldn't have problems with these. I have not run into problems during assembly, but on future builds we'll add pictures of the more challenging parts of the build just in case. Yes, those double wide slots accommodate the nacelle and fuselage tabs side by side. Those bottom strips do sometimes snap, but gluing them back is easy and does not effect the strength.

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

16. jhova17

jhova17 Airman

i loved the design so much but I thaught iv been building for almost 2 years so I thaught I wouldn't have any problems , everything went fast except when I got to the fuselage it was a dead stop. But with the pics it shows one piece how to glue it then jumps to the fuselage already on but if that's the advanced part maybe just 2 pics showing how it goes on that's the only advanced part I found in the whole build! Or just put a little description like the rc powers builds the little words for each step will allow many more people to be able to build it.But it is a amazing design.

17. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

18. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

Put an APC 6x4 on mine the other day. All I can say is - WOW! Got video to edit...

19. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

20. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

And... video. I had some fun with this one!

Airflow and Newt like this.