FRCFOAMIES SU-37 MK1

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Sep 15, 2012.

1. plane_spotter

plane_spotter Rookie

Great work guys been admiring this thread for a while.

Scott spot on with the Russian air force insignia past and present. I have found Wikipedia very useful for aircraft roundels and similar.

Russian airforce for example:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_airforce

Also pretty much all of the worlds aircraft roundels past and present:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_aircraft_insignia

They are mostly vector images can be easily scaled with no loss of quality. Hope this is of interest.

Will hopefully get around to building Jays MK2 soon,

cheers

Ash

2. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks, Ash, yes the internet and especially Wikipedia is an amazing thing, I have been able to find just about any military insignia/roundel/patch/crest, etc that I have gone looking for to accent my planes. I just copy them, print them off on plain paper and either glue them on with 3M Super77 spray adhesive or tape them on with clear packing tape. Easier to be able to size them for your specific needs that way.

Cheers,

Scott

3. plane_spotter

plane_spotter Rookie

e3_Scott likes this.
  4. plane_spotter

plane_spotter Rookie

Airflow and Boxermad84 like this.
  5. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

great links plane_spotter, ill be looking at those on some of my builds in the future! D id you find this fin flash;)
    logo.jpg

6. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Nice Ash, and now you need to get yourself a FRC SU37 to put these nice stars on.;)

7. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Wow, thanks for those, Ash, can never have enough ideas and inspiration for paint schemes for sure! I have all those sites saved in my bookmarks now for future reference.

Yes, and I second Airflow's comments, if you want a really sweet plane to fly, the FRC Foamies Su37 is an amazing choice for sure. I have only built the 100% thus far, but will be starting very shortly on the MK2 (80%) size in the Su35 variant.

Cheers,

Scott

8. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

While we are swapping websites, this is where I found out that an Su35/Su37 variant of the Flanker had been painted for the Russian Knights air demonstration team (it never flew with the team, but gave me great inspiration for the paint job). There are lots of great paint scheme ideas and pictures from aerobatic teams all over the world both military and civilian.

http://aerobaticteams.net/

My skills somewhat limited me to be able to copy the Russian Knights scheme exactly and I could not find at the time a good representation of their fin flash, so I just used their team crest instead, but I think the rest of the paint job gives a fairly decent representation of the Russian Knights scheme.

2013-03-03 11.41.57.jpg

Cheers,

Scott

Airflow, apklug and FatherAndSons like this.
  9. plane_spotter

plane_spotter Rookie

Scott, great link not seen that one before. You have done a fab job of the paint scheme. What paint do you use?

I was lucky enough to see the Russian Knights several years ago when they visited the UK for a few air show appearances. Very impressive.

I do intend to make Jay's SU27 MK2 in the near future. Jay is only about 25 minutes drive from me so perhaps can meet up one day!! Perhaps some formation flying " Sukhois over Wales"

Talking of which Jay. No didn't see the fin flash on Wiki but it sure is smart. Will be sure to add it to my FRC builds in the future.

Cheers,

Ash

10. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Ash -

Thanks so much. To finish my planes, I smooth in some very lightweight finishing spackle that you would use on drywall in your house into the joints where the foam goes together. I let it harden for probably about 24 hours since it is probably put on a little thicker than you would use in your home, so I want it to be good and dry before sanding. I actually just use little scrap pieces of foam to apply it.

I then sand it starting with about 100 grit sandpaper and finish off with about 150 grit although I am thinking I might start using some 220 grit when my 150 grit is done to get rid of the little bit of "stubble" that ends up on the depron after sanding with the heavier grit sandpapers.

I mask the outline of what I am going to paint with masking tape, making sure to press down well on the edges (I normally run my fingernail along the edge) to prevent bleeding under the tape so I get a nice sharp edge.

The paint is just cheap acrylic craft paint I get at the $$$ store just brushed on with cheap brushes also from the $$$ store. I find it easy to control the amount and depth of color I get by brushing (plus I don't have an airbrush). The paint dries in about an hour and is one of the easiest ways I have found to paint my planes as the brushes just clean up with water. It is easy to thin down too if you want to apply thinner coats, you can use water, or I think lots of people use the windshield washer fluid you put in your car.

It does not adhere well to tape, so lots of times I tape afterwards in areas where I need tape reinforcement. It is a bit of a trade off between having the tape show over the paint or having big smudges where the paint rubs off through handling, so I favor painting then taping. Once it is 20 ft in the air, you don't really notice the tape, but might notice big smudges of paint missing.

As I mentioned before, if I am going to apply decals and insignia that I have printed off on my computer, I either apply them with the 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive or I put them on with clear packing tape.

This is another example of a paint job I put on another great FRC Foamies plane, the F35 600, (600 mm wingspan)

Right front quarter.jpg

On the bottom I didn't paint it, but just used a couple different colors of duct tape I found again at the dollar store (can you tell I love the $$$ store? amazing what little treasures you can find there), gives great color contrast and provides protection on the belly when landing.
    Bottom front view.jpg

This is also an amazing plane from FRC Foamies, stable yet agile, and very durable and easy to keep in the car if you want to toss her in the air for a quick flight. I have over 80 flights on mine now!

Cheers,

Scott

FatherAndSons and jhova17 like this.
  11. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

WOW another flying beauty! how many do you really have? And how much for a Oversea paint job Scott;) such a champion you are!

12. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks so much! Well at last count I have 7 parkjets flying

2 X RCP Mig 29 V1
    1 X RCP F22 V1
    1 X RCP F18 V2
    1 X FRC Foamies F15
    1 X FRC Foamies F35 600
    1 X FRC Foamies Su37

The overseas paint job just in postage alone would be off the charts and if the UK postal system is anything like the Canadian Postal Service, either I would just get a pile of foam pieces in white, or you would get a pile of foam pieces in color...:oops: (sorry if you or any of your family work for the postal service...:rolleyes:) !

For a lot of them I just use the natural lines of the plane to come up with my masking plan and pick colors that will contrast well for me (my 51 yr old eyes with glasses aren't quite what they used to be...:() in the sky. I will try the "splinter camo" paint scheme on my MK2 with the Su35 mod, but will probably pick some colors that contrast well against each other to allow for better tracking in the sky.

I'm thinking something along the lines of below, but perhaps swapping the grey for some different shades of blue and leaving where the very light grey is the white depron color. I will still probably paint the bottom a light grey, but put a contrasting color of blue or black duct tape along the nacelles/intakes for a bit of color contrast. I've learned the hard way that camo paint schemes look super cool on the work bench, but depending on the cloud conditions, can cause me some problems with orientation...imagine that, a camo pattern that actually works...:eek:

The "splinter camo" might be a bit more work than the curved line of the old style camos where you could free hand it and it would still look great, but I also think those straight lines look very nice and for a few hours work to turn out a product I can be proud of always makes me happy. Besides, Jay and Greg have gone to a lot of work designing and testing these planes, I feel like I owe it to the designers to turn out the best product I can.

Just my $.02 worth...:)

AIR_SU-35S_VVS_Markings_Sukhoi_lg.jpg

Cheers,

Scott

13. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Ha ha Scott! I may try painting on my own then.

I really like your ideas, and for sharing them. Go for it! :) "splinter camo" You should use your talent! And your eyes are probably not so bad ... When I see these great results you are performing!

14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

That is one tough paint scheme to get right, Scott. That's the one I did. Lots of layering. I painted mine by hand because the over spray on my templates was driving me nuts! The nice thing is that the eye straightens slightly wavy lines, haha....
    From here they look straight!
    uploadfromtaptalk1366500700651.jpg

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

e3_Scott likes this.
  15. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks Greg, that is a very nice paint job! I am sure it will take a little patience to get it right, but I am up for the challenge, I want to do a good job and make you guys at FRC Foamies and myself proud!

Did you use 3mm airfoils top and bottom on yours? I remember discussing with Jay that he had used 3mm top and bottom on his, is that what seems to be the magic combination on a smaller plane like this one?

Cheers,

Scott

16. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Good question Scott! One more... Have you guys tried 6mm top/3mm bottom of the wings for that is what I have? issue concerns the large Mk1 SU37

17. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Airflow -

I use the 6mm on top and 3mm on the bottom of my 100% (large) Su37, I think that is the best combo for that size plane, it tracks amazingly solid and cuts through the wind very well. Sometimes in the smaller planes I understand that Kfs are not always beneficial and sometimes can be detrimental, as I said I thought I remembered Jay at one point saying he used 3 up and 3 down on the MK2, but I can tell you from experience the 6 mm on top and 3 mm on bottom works amazing on the larger Su37.

Cheers,

Scott

18. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

I" can tell you from experience the 6 mm on top and 3 mm on bottom works amazing on the larger Su37" :D

Cheers, Scott. Welcome back and thank you so much! I really like what you're saying!! I made the right choice from the start! 6/3mm, just great! I'll try with flat wings when it comes to the small Su mk2! And try a 3mm top layer after that, then finally the bottom.

e3_Scott likes this.
  19. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

I learned from F1wanabe to bevel back the leading edge after gluing on the Kf airfoils (I find the 3M Super 77 spray adhesive works best for this). I draw a line on the top about a 1/2 inch back from the leading edge, shave back to the line with my knife at about a 45 degree angle, then sand it back smooth, followed by some tape for protection.

Here is what it looks like on an F35 I built just for reference. By the time I am done, I am about 3/4" back, but I don't cut into the 3mm on the bottom. This has given me great success on several airplanes to handle the wind and to give a little more speed.

2013-01-08 08.11.49.jpg 2013-01-08 08.12.07.jpg

I do all the bevelling and sanding before painting.

Just my $.02 worth.

Cheers,

Scott

jhova17 and Airflow like this.
  20. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks for that! You are very informative and does so much to share what you learned! shortcuts and clever ideas! Your own and other members' experiences.

e3_Scott likes this.