FRCFOAMIES SU-37 MK1

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Sep 15, 2012.

1. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi everyone -

Took my 100% Su37 and my RC Powers F18 V2 to the field today for a bit of a "fly off" as I had already done a bit of a comparison list on the F18 V2 thread after flying my F18 for the first time.

2013-04-19 12.00.29.jpg

I don't have canards, rudders or spoilerons activated on my Su37, but I focussed today on trying some high alpha with it (I will admit now I am just learning high alpha, so my skills are definitely at the low end in that particular flight envelope:rolleyes:). I found that even with just elevons and independent ailerons that I could get the Su37 to settle pretty nicely into high alpha, quite steady for the most part, but there seemed to be a critical power setting after which I went below it wing rocked like crazy and I would have to recover and set it up again.

I never played around with the CofG at all to make this go away as I was just doing basic testing, I prefer the Su37 the way I have it set up now for medium to high speed flying and amazing aerobatics.

The F18 has full controls, elevons, ailerons, vtails mixed with the elevator, rudders and spoilerons. I was able to get the F18 into high alpha fairly easily and steer with the rudders, but need to work on my power setting as I seemed to continue to creep up slowly in altitude. So more practice required!

I will admit that I have about 4 times as much stick time with my Su37 as I do with the F18, so I'm much more comfortable with how it will react in pretty much any situation. I'm still learning the F18, but for the most part it is very forgiving also.

The Su37 will always be more aerobatic, perhaps due to the thrust vectoring that the F18 lacks, both roll very cleanly, the Su37 just faster. The Su37 even at 80% throws loops tighter than the F18 at 100% throws, but again, that thrust vectoring certainly helps, although the vtails make a huge contribution to the pitch sensitivity on the F18.

I am a big fan of the 100% Su37, for a bigger plane like this, it is very forgiving of extra weight and will recover out of just about any self induced trouble I have got myself into...not that there have not been a few close brushes with terra firma, but so far so good!

I am looking forward to more stick time on my F18 and getting the Su37 MK2 built with the Su35 mod...I'm sure it will be a riot to fly with elevons only and an NTM Prop Drive helping it scream along!

Cheers,

Scott

Newt, Boxermad84 and Airflow like this.
  2. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Hey Scott Is it fitted with the NTM prop drive, your good looking SU?

3. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Yes it is, thanks very much! It is amazing as I use basically the same power setup in the Su37 as the F18, my Su37 actually weighs 1.2 Kg with the battery, my F18 960 gr, but the Su 37 is still faster, I am assuming because of the swept back wing as opposed to the wide, straight wing on the F18. Obviously as plane on it's own I will always love the F18 as I was in the Cdn Air Force when we took delivery of the CF18 and worked with them as a Fighter Controller and Air Traffic Controller for 26 yrs.

How ironic, as I write this, there is a CF18 blasting around outside doing an airshow practice...ahhhh, Jet noise...the sound of Freedom!

Ooops, where was I...

Here is a video I shot of my Su37 a couple weeks ago, I never get tired of hearing that NTM 2700 Kv motor at WOT! :cool:

Thanks again for your kind words on my plane.

Cheers,

Scott

Airflow likes this.
  4. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Airflow -

Forgot to mention, I am in awe of your Su34 Fullback mod to the Su37, amazing attention to detail in your build. Do you have any ideas what your paint scheme will look like when it is at that stage? I tried to model my Su37 after the Russian Knights aerobatic team as much as I could (i.e. as much as my talents would allow me to do...:rolleyes:)

Cheers,

Scott

5. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

"Su37 actually weighs 1.2 Kg with the battery"
    1.2 Kg. around 42 oz. Good to know! I do not have to worry about the final weight that much then Thanks alot Scott! :)

I love the NTM sound! :)

6. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks!:)

It is my weak spot! paint job ... I have no idea, I'm trying to find good reason to delay the paint job ... Russian Air Force is almost the only air force that does not paint their planes in camouflage gray ... Which would have made it a whole lot easier :) Please come with some good paint job-suggestions!
    You've got talent!

7. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thank you so much!

I did a quick search and found this link, it shows some pictures of the Su34 in the blue/light blue paint scheme but also a very cool one that is a dark camo gray on top and the light blue on bottom, that would make for excellent contrast between top and bottom for orientation.

Have a look here

http://russianmilitaryphotos.wordpress.com/tag/su-34/

Cheers,

Scott

8. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Airflow -

This is the one I mean, what do you think? I think it looks very deadly and awesome!

Cheers,

Scott

[​IMG]

9. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Grateful for what you found Scott! How could I have missed it!! The dark gray (top), light blue (bottom) looks awesome Scott! relatively easy to paint. And not as common as the light blue top version! It may very well be my choice, as long as nobody else gets there before me ;)

10. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

How is it that the Russians get to these beauties, which also flies with style and great dignity...

11. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Yes, I was surprised when I found it at that website, I had never seen it before, but like you said would be easy to do, I'm sure you could lighten up the gray just a bit if you wanted to, after all, it is your adaptation and interpretation of the Su34, so a little artistic licence being applied won't matter too much! I think it looks very cool, that white nose and tips on the tail fins along with the red stars and lettering really make it look cool.

This is the star I used on my Su37, I think it is the most current Russian Air Force roundel/star from what I could find and from what I understand. It has a subtle blue line around the star which wasn't there on the old Russian/Soviet star I don't think.

Russian_Air_Force_roundel.svg.png

Cheers,

Scott

12. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

:) Great Scott, well done! thanks!

13. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

14. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

No problem, look forward to seeing your finished product!

Cheers,

Scott

15. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Sure, I will publish further step by step

16. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

I don't think you need to worry about someone getting there before you, at least not on your Su34, that is going to be a one of a kind beauty when it is all done, great job!

Cheers,

Scott

17. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes so far :) competition does not seem to be so dramatically high Scott

e3_Scott likes this.
  18. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

The weather :rolleyes: is nice today so I took her outside the workshop. Glued the last brownpaper on one wing and painted a layer of Alcro primer. Then when all is done, I will need to putty all paperseams and various rough surfaces with light filler. Finally, to prime the whole thing again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kiko12 and jhova17 like this.
  19. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Wow, looks awesome, are your elevators/elevons going to hinge on that black rod (I assume it is carbon fibre) that runs along the back of the plane?

Cheers,

Scott

20. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes that's correct Scott! Carbon Rod and fixings/hinges are made ??of plywood. Taking no chances NTM 2700kv ... :cool:

jhova17 likes this.