FRCFOAMIES SU-37 MK1

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Sep 15, 2012.

1. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks Jay, so I would still have to print the Su35 mod sheets at 120% as well? That is why I asked the question earlier if I could just print those three Su35 mod sheets and apply them to the original Su37 plans since I already have a set of those printed off. I'll build the MK2 at normal size first and see how that performs...:)

Cheers,

Scott

2. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

As you know, Scott, Jay is a master tweaker! The original su37 was really nice, but he tweaked it some more to make the 80 % scale work better, and modded the nacelles and stabilizers. So you would be redoing tabs. You know Jay... Perfectionist! As f4mnect and Theyung said, the looks amazing as it comes together even more so than the original su37. I was snapping pics and kiking Jay all night as I built the su35. It is definitely a masterpiece!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

4. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks Jay and Greg! I will be building the MK2 with the Su35 mods at 100% as my next build, need to pick up some paint this weekend for it.

About halfway through my F18 V2 build right now, coming along slow with everything else that is going on, but I should have it finished up on the weekend or early next week!

Cheers,

Scott

5. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

Another go at the 100% Su-37. Keep forgetting to put that APC prop on! Still a fun flier, though.

Next up is the Mk2. Still trying to decide on canards setup as LERX, or just the Su-35 mod. Such hard choices...

6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Nice, dtribby! The apc gives it a bit more punch. It looked super stable in that wind- such a great looking plane!
    I just tried to explain my feeling about canard/no canard in the mk2 thread. I hope it helps you decide.

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

7. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

Naw, that's what got me THINKING!

8. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

9. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

Actually, it was a remix of The Safety Dance from 1983, if I recall correctly. Hard to find music that gets past YouTube's licensing filters.

10. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

11. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Preview...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...On demand.

FatherAndSons likes this.
  12. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

13. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

FatherAndSons, Boxermad84 and Newt like this.
  14. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Back to the foam addicts Page ... And the big catch? still lurking out there somewhere in the depths...

Short SU-34 story. I liked how Dave/Scott formidable SU flew, and hoped that it would become part of the RCP's product portfolio. But that did not happen ... Dave/Scott ...? Found FRC ;-) and downloaded the SU37 plans. (Thanks guys at FRC for the great quality and fit!)
    Realizing that Just the SU37 version is very popular... wanted another suit! Therefore I downloaded some views on cousin Su-34.
    [​IMG]

And remodulated gently the body
    [​IMG]

...to get a similar appearance of an SU-34.

Took the opportunity to redesign the intake and exhaust ducts. I also lowered the stabilizer an inch below the main wing mountings. So really no big changes made??, just cosmetics.
    [​IMG]

Su-37 is still there and will be there. To make it more rigid, I dressed it in reinforced brown paper from the bookstore. This made it stiff as an old-fashioned balsa construction. All ruder surfaces are replaced with 3mm Depron since this picture was taken. Least 4 times stiffer , than painted 6 mm Depron, the weight remained unchanged. Carbonfiber rods had not been needed in the wings ... More pictures will come once the primer is on. Have a great weekend!

EricR, FatherAndSons and Boxermad84 like this.
  15. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

Are you doing split flaps? If so, that's gonna be AWESOME! :D

16. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

wow,wow,wow!!! you got to keep us informed on this build. Its very different to how we all build our parkjets, so im very interested to see the final result. Thanks for sharing.

17. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

dtribby, I changed back to the original Su-34 design, but it is not finally finished yet ... ;) According to SU's chief designer, it is unnecessary to put the split flaps on SU's. They tested the split flaps on early Su-27. but abandoned the solution.

F1wanabe likes this.
  18. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

It's because I can not keep my hands off! :oops: making my builds to slow builds ... But I will keep on track when it comes to start with SU MK2

19. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Looks really good, Airflow! It's great to see people take the ball and run with it! Did we discuss this on the su37 page or was it deja vu? You add the paper after final sanding/shaping?

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

20. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks F1!
    "was it deja vu?"v man... err, i really don't know... but probably...we did, or not!?:)

"You add the paper after final sanding/shaping?" I try to do that, the more careful you are with the finnish work, the less putty work then. But you can't escape some putty job afterwards. I use light filler for indoor use, walls ceilings etc. It's important to sand the Depron well, so the white glue attaches properly!

The paper needs to be at least 5 minutes in the water. It should be saturated with water. Apply the glue to the aircraft and the paper, with plenty of glue!. Smooth out air bubbles.The glue should be mixed with about 40-50% water, depends on brand. I'm using the frost-resistant white glue/wood glue for outdoor use.
    the stripes in the paper to go along with the wings, do not cross!. the shiny side should be up/out.

Attention! Achtung! Precaución!
    It's a messy wet job, so watch out for Ma'am! girlfriend or Mum ... :mad:arrgh! --> :oops:err, uh... depending on where you're at ... It's best to stick to the outside or in the garagewith a water hose and floor drain (experiences ...) Outside can be difficult in the winter, especially in Norther Scandinavia, Canada, Alaska etc..

FatherAndSons likes this.