FRCFOAMIES SU-37 MK1

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Sep 15, 2012.

1. colorc

colorc Airman

Not too big nor to small, it would be just right. :) I want it to be 25ish ounces. That seems to be the sweet spot with the smjv2 for the performance that I desire in my foamies.

2. colorc

colorc Airman

And I know. Just get the ntm motor, right.

3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Well, the su37 mk2 would be under 20 or under with the smjv2, so a 110 or 115 % version would get you right about there. But, the canards on the su37 give even a smaller wingspan plane a ton of lift do you would be more than fine using the smjv2 on the mk2. I have the heads up zoom 450, which weighs about the same as the smjv2, on the su35 with no canards. So with canards your wing loading will be perfect!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

4. colorc

colorc Airman

Perfect. Thanks for the help.

5. gm3

gm3 Top Gun

Newt likes this.
  6. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

7. gm3

gm3 Top Gun

ok 2 per elevon

8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Yes, as Jay said I had 1 servo per elevon with no problems. A strong hi tech 85mg servo should be fine for them. Remember, with the motors on the elevons, you only need 1/2 throws to get crazy performance. Therefore, you can keep control rods low on the servo arm and high on the control horn for lots of torque.

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

9. gm3

gm3 Top Gun

but i dont have a big servo to use one per elevon so i will just go with 2

10. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

Took her out again this morning - had a few charged batteries left from sunday still. Humid, cool morning with sub-5mph winds too. Had a BLAST tossing that thing around! No film this time, but I DID just finish a small foam box for my phone.

Does anybody remember which thread had all those pics of folks with their foam camera/phone head/hat mounts? Half an hour if searching has got me nada

Sent from my R5-D4 astromech droid - for as long as its motivator keeps working.

11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

12. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

Found the posts I was looking for. Page 85 of the F22V2 thread - JMW posted a video about his hat cam. Making my own version as we speak!

Also, someone had asked about weight - not sure if they were asking about mine - but I just left my favorite packing store and they weighed it for me. Without battery, she's at 23.7oz (672g). With my preferred 2200mah 30C/60C Sky Lipo, she's at 30.5oz (864.3g). That's with 6-servos, Kf3.5 foils, and a bunch of acrylic paint. Even with the EMP prop, she'll still go vertical all day! :)

When I build the Mk2, I think elevons and an RCT 2826-6 will do just fine! Especially since I'm not a speed freak and I'm still getting comfortable with aerobatics.

13. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi everyone -

Shot some more flying video of my FRC Foamies Su37 today, despite a rather crazy launch :)oops:), I had a great flight and had some great fun with this amazing plane, got myself into a couple self induced tight spots and it had enough response and power with the NTM to get me out of trouble.

I think after the RC Powers Mig29 V1 that this is quickly becoming my second favorite plane and another plane I feel very comfortable with thrashing around and pushing hard as it is stable and recovers well from unusual attitudes. Even though I am pushing the NTM right to the limit of it's thrust envelope with the weight of my plane, it still allows me to punch out of trouble with relative ease.

I had RC Speedo running on the video and was getting speeds up in the 58-60 mph range which considering the weight is pretty good! I can only imagine what top speed you would get out of the MK2 with the NTM Prop Drive, now that would be fast as Jay has already proven in his initial videos of the 80% version that led to the MK2.

Great fun day of flying today!

Cheers,

Scott

shawsie64, Newt and Boxermad84 like this.
  14. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

All my keychain cam footage was crap, but my oldest daughter was helpful enough with my phone that we got the drama on digits anyway! So, here it is:

I've got my hat-cam mount all done up, and tomorrow morning is supposed to be almost windless! Gonna sneak out of work early and try to get some decent footage. Being self-employed DOES have its upside once in a while!

Newt and F1wanabe like this.
  15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Looked like fin, dtribby! That thing looks so nice! Sounds like the gremlins were reprogramming your radio. I hate when they do that! That happened to me at the first JettaManDan fly in so now I lock my radios in a case! Hasn't happened since. Be sure to take a picture of your dorkhead camera mount! We have one!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

16. poormansairforce

poormansairforce Airman

Gotta love the kids! They'll never forget you!

17. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

Actually, I had reprogrammed the model memory from my 5EZP Su-37, and simply forgot that I had the control rods on the TOP of the elevons on that model! It didn't even occur to check them until right AFTER I tossed it in the air. It was like a scene from a movie when a million memories go through a character's head and everything makes sense all at once. I knew the INSTANT she rolled the wrong way and the whole picture exploded in my mind. Had I been thinking better, I'd have used elevator and rudder to get her home, but I have gotten SO used to flying yank-and-bank!

18. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

Half of them are still remembering LAST Easter's airshow! In '12, I had SO many little ones, all peppering me with a million questions ranging from the simple ("Did you MAKE that!?") to the ridiculous ("Can I fly it?" and "Can I have that?"). Gotta love that they don't have any filters!

19. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

Thanks! I think I'm stuck on the acrylic craft paint from now on. It's just too easy to use vs polycrylic and spray paint or Testor's tiny cans.

20. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

After crashing on the maiden due to reversed aileron programming, we had a date with the hot glue gun! The missile rails got trashed, so off they came. After the physical repairs, I got busy reprogramming the ailerons, and we were ready to go! Everything went fine until I tried out the spoilerons, and quickly discovered that they're imbalanced. She rolled wildly, so I decided to set it down. No damage.

One helpful young man started out filming, but by the time I was done, some other kid had my phone! It had apparently changed hands SEVERAL times as they got bored. Go figure, kids...

Newt and Airflow like this.