FRCFOAMIES SU-37 MK1

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Sep 15, 2012.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Have you seen our original su37 gm3?

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

2. gm3

gm3 Top Gun

no, thanks for showing. and also i need to know if it is quieter than the rcpowers f 22v2 with a SMJ v2

3. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Wsamoset likes this.
  4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Yes it is much quieter. Like Jay says the rear mount props are much more quiet to begin with, and the mjv3 are lower rpm and lower power than the smjv2. So all around quieter.

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

5. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

Got mine all set up with the 6x4 EMP prop. Doesn't feel like I'll have unlimited vertical, but I don't have a scale and its hard to judge the weight. It'll certainly hover for me, but static thrust isn't a good indicator of in-the-air performance. It'll certainly scoot, but I think there's an APC in this plane's future. Probably a good thing, though, with my luck. Less ability to get into trouble!

6. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

Here's a pic of the stable - minus the AXN Floater - for tomorrow. I freshened up the paint on the F-15 so it should stand out a little better against a blue sky.

uploadfromtaptalk1364698140458.jpg

Sent from my R5-D4 astromech droid - for as long as its motivator keeps working.

Wsamoset likes this.
  7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

8. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

Haven't flown the Su-37 just yet, so for the moment, the F-15 is the winner. I've got a bit of an elevon flutter issue with it - mostly slop in the train I haven't figured out how to get rid of without tearing the rear and apart - but it's just so solid in the air otherwise. I'm hoping that the Flanker will change my mind tomorrow. Her maiden will be very public (church picnic), so we'll see how it goes!

9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

10. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

I loved the 5EZP Su-37 that Bob designed too. She died in a mysterious "fall-out-of-the-sky" incident last summer. I never figured out why. She just rolled in kinda randomly. But it was a great flyer while it lasted - I figure this bigger girl will be the same or better.

11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

At this size it can float like a butterfly and sting like a bee. It does the high speed and slow speed equally well and it can take up to 45 oz if weight. It has lots of room for modification. So load it up! I'll be putting the stabilizer on my canards and rudders next flight out!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

12. colorc

colorc Airman

I am curious what to do if I want a 90% su37. Should I take the 100% plan and reduce it to 90% or should I take the mk2 plan that is being worked on and do 110% of that?

13. f4mnect

f4mnect Airman

hummm no idea, i know jay has changed a few things up on the mk2, and i'm really looking forward to it but the choice is up to you. plus he won't release plans until there perfect and he's a perfectionist

14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Why would you want the 90%? Are you looking for a specific wingspan? The mk2 will accommodate a mjv3 upto ntm prop drive 2700 and either elevons only or full control. But If you must, I'd enlarge the mk2!
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

15. gm3

gm3 Top Gun

did jay maiden the 80% su 37 this weekend or am i bummed.

16. f4mnect

f4mnect Airman

he did and posted video in that thread. wow what a plane

17. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

Got her up today. Forgot to verify the aileron direction, and had it all BACKWARDS!!!! I figured it out a few seconds after she left my hand. Managed to get it down (into a bush) with minimal damage. The missile rails were the first thing to come off. 5 minutes, a bit of hot glue, and some quick programming changes, and we were off to a REAL start. Got video to process too!

I'll say this - on elevons-only, it's quite docile. Sluggish on the roll, even. Flip on the 4x4 ailerons, and WOW! That thing came ALIVE. Even on the EMP prop, it still went vertical on a whim. The couple of degrees of down angle on the motor worked PERFECTLY too. No climb (or dive) when you nail the throttle. Rudders will put you in a flat spin really quickly too! This thing is my new favorite plane! Especially since I went and messed her up on the maiden. (Avoiding inappropriate female analogies that make my point better is proving difficult, so I'll leave things at that). The NTM 2700kv and 70A Red Brick got a little warm, but nothing that can't be handled with a little airflow into the nose cavity.

This plane ROCKS!!

F1wanabe likes this.
  18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Great, dtribby, glad you like it. I'm glad I never reversed my control surfaces. I wouldn't want anyone at a fly in making fun of me for the rest of my life ;-) It does do amazing aerobatics for such a large plane! The 4x4 are a must for the midmount, but the twin prop version is good with elevons only. Let's see that video!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

19. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

20. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

I have them on a switch. Spoilerons too, but I think they got misaligned somewhere along the way because when I put them on she was almost uncontrollable. I'll realign them and do some trial-and-error to get them properly dialed in. OH! it just occurred to me! I probably left the TRIM option on the mix to "on". That might be an easy fix. ER9X is awesome, but there's a LOT to keep up with!