FRCFOAMIES SU-37 MK1

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Boxermad84, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Top Gun

FRCFoamies SU37 MK1
    Click here for plans
    This is just something I'm doing as a side project(for the time being) f1 said to me I should try a su37,so i did! Just finished dry assembly ,part of its glued together, but underneath is yet to be finished. I need to route the electronics before finishing off. It's 32"x 48,ill be running two 2700kv motors on 6x4, should put out 70+ oz of thrust. One motor is mounted, the other will be on tomorrow! Can't wait to get this in the air, just wanted to share a few pics! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

www.youtube.com/jayrothwell

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2015
    MIG and JamesSr like this.
  2. Nice and that is your design? I have always wanted to try the elevon mounted motors. I think 2 400zooms would do the trick. but only 62 oz of thrust. maybe the 370zoom on a migv1?

JamesSr likes this.
  3. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Top Gun

JamesSr and jmrpb like this.
  4. love the 3d noses on your designs... man I gotta lot of catchin up to do with all these builds..and I'm going to go broke with all the donating to you...cuz I dont believe that its even close to fair to pay for the RCPowers plans and not your since your seem to be just as good as theirs....and everywhere i fly this Alpha jet. It gets so many weird questions as well as compliments... Hats off to you Jay

JamesSr and miss5031 like this.
  5. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Top Gun

to kind bj! thanks bud!!being compared to rcpowers, is a big thing for me.

6. well you have an awesome 3d nose that you( and maybe F1) designed.....at it looks easy to fill with a little spackle and sand smoth. I love that about your designs

JamesSr likes this.
  7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Nope, BJ, Jay does all the designing. I only helped him test the eurofighter because I had foam and an edf. But the su37 has always been my favorite and since Scott said he would not be reworking his prototype I figured-heck, i bet Jay could do it! And it looks like he did! Btw guys, the Eurofighter flew great today at the fly in even in high winds! And Chip is now a new owner of the alpha jet! Everyone flew it and thought it was an amazing plane-so unique!

My youtube :
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky

JamesSr likes this.
  8. mpmilesjr

mpmilesjr Airman

That thing looks insane!!

JamesSr likes this.
  9. rodrigo

rodrigo Top Gun

looks nice, but I think this from bobdabildoh55 look more slim, like the real su27 family.
    anyway, the motors on elevons will be a blast

JamesSr likes this.
  10. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Top Gun

I hear what you saying, bobs is a real nice looking plane, but his nose is not pointing down like the real one. His nose top is level with the wings, it should be slightly lower. But still a great design!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Kiko12 likes this.
  11. NoCrash94

NoCrash94 Rookie

Wow that looks awesome!
    just one thing. you are probably going to need high rates for gliding though.

JamesSr likes this.
  12. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Top Gun

Kiko12 and JamesSr like this.
  13. rodrigo

rodrigo Top Gun

The motor installation looks good... It needs to resist lot of force maybe some plywood would be necessary
    Make lot of static test before the mayden flight at full deflection. ( thrust multiply by distance to hinge)
    it has two servo for each elevons or is my impression ? Can you give us more details?

Enviado desde mi GT-I9003L usando Tapatalk 2

JamesSr likes this.
  14. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Top Gun

YES i have two 12g corona 929mg servos per elevon, one top one bottom, I've taped the bottom of the elevon but used nylon hinges on top
    [​IMG]

JamesSr likes this.
  15. Why 2 each?

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Looks good Jay! I used 1 Futaba 3009 servo per elevon which has a 2.6kg/cm torque, i think. Worked well with 2 mjv3. But your motors are heavier more powerful. The hi tech hs 85mg has over 3kg/cm. The throws for gliding may need to be higher, but the throws for tv do not need to be high. On the t50 I had them lower and maneuverability was slower but really good. I think a single hs 85 metal gears on each would be just fine with the rods lower on the control horn. In fact, I will do that especially to get that real scale performance. But the servo needs to be very secure! Here's my t50 set up. It was 2:30am and I had to whisper because everyone was sleeping so I sound a little creepy!

My youtube :
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky

MIG and highwayman like this.
  17. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Top Gun

For strength and to hopefully stop some flex. I may have to move the motors closer together as they are at the edge of the hinge line

18. NoCrash94

NoCrash94 Rookie

'

when you shot the motors off you're not going to have nearly as much authority unless you have higher rates

19. Wsamoset

Wsamoset Ace Pilot

hey boxermad, what motor is that? i know you said it was 2700kv but it doesn't look like the prop drive 2700kv motor that i see every where...
    Awesome looking jet btw!:D

20. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Top Gun

MIG likes this.