FRCFoamies SBACH 342 Advanced Profile Parkjet

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

Ok so i'm back in the air, but i seem to have shortage of power. So a few questions for the power system experts -

My plane weighs 312gm (11oz) without lipo, and i'm running the below power set-up:
    • Turnigy 2212 2200kv motor with 8x3.8 slow-fly prop,
    • Turnigy Plush 18A ESC (burst = 22A).
    • 2S 610mah 20C lipo (i have two of these, but only one onboard at a time)

So my questions:

If i hook up the two 610mah lipos in Series, then I've technically got a single 4S 610mah 20C lipo - is that right? So I would have 16.8V at max charge instead of 8.4V?

Will this config fry my little 18A ESC? I figure that the max discharge rate of the 4S lipo is still 0.61A*20C = 12.2A, which is well below the capacity for the 18A ESC, so i'm not sure what the effect of doubling the voltage is on the ESC if the current(A) is still the same.

Or should i be more concerned about burning out the high-kv motor running such a big prop on 4S?

Maybe I just need to buy like a 1000mah 3S lipo to give me a longer flight time and one extra cell of power. Not sure.
    Thanks guys!

2. To get 14 volts out of the 2 batteries you would need to modify your plug ends. The positive of one battery would have to go to the negative of the other battery and the positive on one to the esc and the negative of the other to the esc.

Splashballz likes this.
  3. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

Hey Jeff, isn't that just what the series connector does? This is the one I'm using:
    https://hobbyking.com/en_us/jst-series-connector.html

Wildthing likes this.
  4. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Ok fella's, I've been flying the Sbach on Phoenix for some time now, now it's time to take the real thing to the sky (along with 3 other new planes I've yet to maiden). I really like these profile planes with their low parts count and ease of construction. Plus if the thumbs go dumb you can reproduce a new one in no time. Really makes the term "it's just foam" more poignant.
    Built with MPF with 4mm carbon rod in the wing along with fiber tape reinforcement and 3mm carbon tube in the horizontal stab with fiber tape over the top side of the entire horiz. stab. Fiber tape hinges. I used foam triangles for support for the fuselage. The tail is a little wobbly but I'll see if I can get away without adding any more reinforcement. Using the Grayson Micro Jet V3 motor with 20A esc and 2s 800mah battery and 8x4 APC prop. Carbon fiber tubes for rudder and elevator control and 2-56 rods for the ailerons. Receiver is the Orange 615X (not too sure about the reliability of this one, may replace with something better). Ready to fly weight is 13.1 oz. Enjoy.

IMG_20180110_130114.jpg

IMG_20180110_130400.jpg

Flybyknight22 and Wildthing like this.
  5. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

I'm having a time trying to reveal my new plane! One of my images didn't come through.

IMG_20180110_130032.jpg

6. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

She's a beauty !

7. kjdubuque

kjdubuque Ace Pilot

Looks great! It's such a fun plane.

8. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Thanks kj, I know I've been having fun flying it in the sim! Hope I do as good with the real thing. :)

9. Excellent :)

F1wanabe, Flybyknight22 and FlyteTime like this.
  10. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

hi guys, this plane is still fun to fly. unfortunately i crashed it a few days ago. repairing it should work at the expense of adding additional weight, due to the glue.
    i was also wondering, what would be the best solution (in terms of effect and not adding more additional weight) in order to counteract the torsion the fuselage has?!

thanks

F1wanabe and andy_downs like this.
  11. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I still have mine but haven't flown it in a while becouse of wind and all the other planes that I have.It is a totally different plane to fly compared to a park jet.

12. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

WOW!,.. DUDE!

How did I miss this!

That’s Sharp right there now Kenny!

Have you flown it yet?

I need to get out more I guess, I like the look of that thing.

I have the old RCP version of sorts but FRC’s looks much more refined.

Guess I’m gonna have to visit their online pdf factory :)

F1wanabe, andy_downs and Wildthing like this.
  13. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

The,... “DEUCE”!

14. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Red Bull???

Ah yeah I believe that!

The way you, Wildthing, Bimo and Jimbo are cranking out planes ya’ll must be living on 5-hour energy drinks!

I just can’t crank out one after another like you guys seem to be able to do.

Oh well, I guess it’s,.. 5-hour energy drink here I come! :)

15. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Thanks Flyby for the props. I just love the challenge of creating a really nice model. Unfortunately I can't fly too good. :( I crashed the HE double hockey sticks out of it man on the second flight. I had my travels too big to start with and lost it trying to fly it inverted without enough altitude. The simulator practice didn't exactly translate into the real plane for me, lol. But yeah, it looked real cool until just before going in, hahaha. Snoopy and Woodstock didn't make it. :(

16. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

I always said I like building them more than flying them. I guess I should go into business and make some side money on selling them bad boys, hehehe. Besides, I'm a retired old fart and building is therapy for me, ya know? Maybe a shot of swamp juice mixed with the 5 hour energy would do the trick for you my brother, lol.

17. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Nothing but coffee for me,and a couple of my little buddies:D

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  18. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Hate to hear that Flyte.
    She really was a gorgeous build man, very sharp looking rascal! I really liked it!

Looks like a quick build, maybe you should build another one.

I crashed less in the beginning than I do now. I was much more careful then. Now I get a little cocky and goofy out flying with my boys sometimes. It’s so much fun to fly with my Sons.

Even after small damage to a plane I keep flying it, usually until it’s trashed. Some fly just as good a little broke than not :)

I try hard to follow what Dave Powers used to say about throws. I still use lots of expo and turn rates down some on most all of my planes.

I try not to fly in any significant wind either. I like optimal flying conditions.

Guys like Wildthing flying in Eskimo weather amazes me! I hunt in it but standing still for too long freezes me out!

Sometimes everything just works, other times not so much. No big deal to me.

As you know, Crashing is always a risk and I know you know that we all do it.

Some guys need to just lighten up as they take this way too serious sometimes and of course nobody wants to crash but it doesn’t bother me when it happens because in the end it’s just foam :)

I remember Dave commenting about how Lots of guys over build at first, invest too much in a plane and when it crashes they just quit due to the stress etc. but I still have a tendency to overbuild.

I enjoy the building process and I think most of us in this hobby for the long haul do as well.

It takes a certain amount of dedication and fortitude to stay at it. I generally learn more from a crash than when I don’t. Mostly, don’t do it! :p

This all has to be fun. When it stops being fun, you’re done.

Loved your plane, I hope you build another one because I know it will be “TIGHT” just like the other Kenny!

Wildthing and Boxermad84 like this.
  19. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Ha! You might be right. That concoction might send me to the moon!

I hope this doesn’t disappoint but,....

The Truth is, I don’t drink at all. I haven’t had a drink in probably close to 35-40 years.

But “Swamp shine” is something I still find funny :)

jimbosflyin, homey666 and Wildthing like this.