FRCFoamies SBACH 342 Advanced Profile Parkjet

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Sep 6, 2015.

1. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

great. hk stuff arrived.
    i have seen that a recommendation for the deflection is on the overview sheet of the plans.
    what i also noticed is, that the CoG on the plans is different on the longitudinal axis, than the CoG marked on the overview (=the sheet where components an all stuf is listed). What is correct?

2. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

Hi folks,
    alrighty then, here's my SBACH 342.
    DSC_9108.JPG
    DSC_9109.JPG DSC_9111.JPG

i decided to do the classic sbach paint, but with blue. for any weird reason i decided to do some parts in black on the bottom. for no special reason, was just thinking of to recognize the bottom faster inflight.

regarding CoG, i choose that one on the big plans (tiled). Not that one of the small overview plan which comes with the package. i needed no trimming on the maiden.

total weight with components, without LiPo is 320grams. With 800mAh/2S LiPo the weight is 380.
    i used welding rods for the ailerons pushrods. for the other two i used 1.8mm CF spar.
    i used hot glue.
    gear: 2200kv motor, ccw 8.3x3 prop, 800mAh LiPo

since i was heavily traumatized by my very first maiden in my rc career with the RCP F-18v3, i was pretty nervous doing the maiden for the SBACH. But gladfully it went very well. Just few unintendend soft/grass field landings and one in a tree but without any damages.
    :D it was very fun. since i am used to 2200mAh/3S battery's until the SBACH, i was really suprised (disappointed) how short the flying time is, especially when it makes that fun.

i barely used the ruder on a previous plane (FRCF F-16mk1), so therefor i was a bit struggling with sterring, because there is no bank-and-yank.
    i was trying to do some hovering, that was ok for the first flights. knife edge is something i really have to practice, maybe i add the middle side-force-generatores.

unfortunately the deflection (especially of the ailerons) could be higher. But i already set the endpoints of my radio to maximum. i should have used longer control horns, but i used the standard ones which the RCpower plans came with (to cut out of wood). i will try to install a new, longer servo arm to get at least a little bit of a higher deflection. any other ideas?

Thank you guys for your help. Thanks FRCF for the plans!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  3. Longer control horns won't give you more deflection if anything less. The closer you are to the hinge the more throw, also where you have the control rods on your servo, arms the farther away the more throw

FED50H likes this.
  4. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

Ok, Put the SBach back on the bench. Pulled off the music wire control rods. Did my 1st carbon tube, music wire control rods. Used .032 music wire for the z bend and other end pieces and epoxied them in the tube, then some heat shrink. Also moved the micro connectors to the servo arm instead of the control horns. So saved some flex, and moved some weight. I got this bird balanced on 2S. Took it out yesterday morning and my flying buddy was there , getting ready to leave. But he maidened it for me. Floated right out of his hands, and just a tad of uptrim was needed. He immediately started hovering and I ran for my camera. Its a mobius with no view finder, so I blindly pointed it, so some of the video angles are not the best. But still shows you what this plane can do. I was so happy to see my build doing this right out of the gate.

I received the ultimate compliment when he was done. he said, "I want to buy that plane from you". :) Made me proud. I then maidened it as well, well, my maiden, and I have video, but its much more boring, I fly it very basic, no tricks save for one loop, just trying to get the feel. I REALLY like how docile it is on 2S. I see myself really learning some 3D on this on 2S, then when ready, upping it to 3S for some more power. Between getting the SU-27 dialed in on Sat, and then this plane on Sunday, I am so excited abut flying again and want to go out every damn day. :) Anyway, enjoy the video, this guy can fly.

5. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

This is currently my favorite plane to fly. Pulled off 2 rolls today, my 1st ever. This plane is so smooth and docile. I ABSOLUTELY love it. i just wish I could get more than 4 minutes a flight. This plane has me addicted. Question, if I built one with a smaller prop (same size motor) and a 3S battery for longer flight, how much does it change the flight characteristics? I k now it will be faster, but does it remain as smooth? ANd how long of flights on 3S?

Wildthing likes this.
  6. What motor, prop, esc and battery are you running now?

7. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

Microjet V3, Grayson 30A ESC and EPC 8 x 3.8, and 800 mah 2S batt. Dont have 2S higher than 800 currently, but have 800 and 1000 mah 3S.

8. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

9. RumbleRC

RumbleRC Airman

This is by far, (no joke), my favorite foamie i have built. I reinforced a lot with carbon and it fly's great! 20.5 oz with an 850mAh 2 cell... the motor i bought is a hobbyking POS, they pressed the center shaft to far so the c-clip slot wasn't showing, I pulled the 2 apart. for some reason they made the center shaft 7mm... WHY NOT 6? YOU KNOW, SOMETHING A PROP YOU BUY ACTUALLY HAS! I asked hobbyking why and they just said use a prop reamer... (facepalm) I don't know why I keep buying from hobbyking, it is such an abusive relationship (hold me) :(

okay motor aside this plane is so fun, once i dialed in the CG, witch i did by flying upside-down after trimming right side up until they both were flying level, it ended up right about the recommended location.

I have been dialing in my 3D skills with this, the side-force generators are great for knife edge. I have never hovered a plan as long as this one, I am starting to try different exits out of hoving now! I really recommend my carbon fiber strip locations if you use dollar store foam like me, it ended up light and stiff, a little flex in the tail but it isn't excessive. Epoxy and tape on the ends is my new favorite stiffening technique, it looks cool and protects so it is a 3 in 1.

Thanks for the plans!

20160803_111847.jpg

20160803_111912.jpg 20160803_111847.jpg

10. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Rumblerc, glad to hear it! I love flying 3d although I need a lot of practice. We tried to make this one really easy to learn on. Good luck!

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

11. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

That's one of the slickest looking little profiles I have ever seen!

Love the 3-blade prop!

12. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

My journey to understand the rudder continues!

After experimenting with rudders on a couple of my parkjets, I’ve discovered a fascination with 4-channel flying, which got me thinking about 3D flying. So I got playing with an RT Eraser Five (a little indoor 3D flyer) on one of the flight sims and had a blast. Next step – build the FRC Foamies SBACH 342!

This has been a bit of a side project since December 2016, but I finally got everything together, threw on a bit of maiden paint, set my end points/expo/dual rates REALLY low, and maidened this morning.

And what an amazing little plane! Its dead quiet (like stealth quiet) compared to my parkjets, and the responsiveness of this thing – even on such low throw settings – is crazy! It literally just took off out of my hand and went. No torque roll, it just flew away dead flat. And with the tiniest amount of elevator input, it went vertical. Other than a few quiet laps around the park, I tried a couple of slow rolls. The balance was amazing – it flew both upright and inverted with no elevator input. Other than that, I really just started to get a feel for how it likes to fly. I’m glad I put in a few hours on the 4-ch parkjets first, as my SBACH wouldn’t have lasted two minutes if I’d come straight from 3-ch jets. I was flying in about 10kmh of wind and needed constant rudder just to keep it going where I wanted.

This is my first non-jet, puller-prop plane and I think I’m hooked.

Specs and pics below; I also took a great video of the blue sky, which was periodically ruined by a little plane flying into view. If I can splice the good bits together, I’ll post it another time. Thanks to Jay and Greg at FRC Foamies for creating this little beast – I’m looking forward to seeing how far I can progress with it and what it’s capable of!

Set-up:
    • Motor: Turnigy 2826 (2200kv)
    • Prop: GWS 8x3.8 Slowfly
    • ESC: Turnigy Plush 18A
    • Lipo: 2S 610mah 20C (I had a couple of these lying around from an old heli; they’re ok, although I might need to run them in series for more power, and run-time was only about 3min to storage voltage).
    • Motor Angle: Tilted down (barely, like, a 1mm wedge of depron stuck behind the motor mount).
    • CG: 10mm forward of the wing spar. I was aiming for the wing spar but missed; seems ok though.
    • Weight: TBA.

Tx settings:
    • End points: Ail – 50%; Ele – 70%; Rud – 50%
    • Dual rates: 60%, for both flight modes. Will set-up a proper sport mode as I get confident.
    • Expo: 60%

IMG_1355.JPG IMG_1356.JPG IMG_1357.JPG IMG_1359.JPG IMG_1362.JPG IMG_1363.JPG

bimoadiprakoso, Newt and Wildthing like this.
  13. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Excellent, glad you like it! Once you start using rudder, it's hard to go back, I usually still move the rudder stick on models that don't even have rudder! Force of habit! We have the sbach ready for phoenix, not sure if you use phoenix flight simulator?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

14. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

Hi Jay,

I agree - I tried to take out a 3-ch parkjet recently and it felt really odd. Somehow more limited/less functional maybe, or something that I can't quite put my finger on. Although at this stage I can't fly as aggressively with 4-ch as I could with 3, but I'm hoping that's just an experience thing.

I don't have the Phoenix sim, but have seen vids of the FRC Foamies planes on there and they look brilliant - I think I need to invest. So far my only sims have been some free app downloads; nothing I can plug a Tx into. And I'm using a Turnigy i6 Tx, so I'd need to check if it's even compatible with Phoenix. But if the SBACH is going on there, maybe that's my cue. Cheers Jay.

Ben.

15. I have the Phoenix sim but I can't get my FlySky which is a brother to the Turnigy to work with it. Not saying yours won't work ???

bimoadiprakoso and Splashballz like this.
  16. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

I think you're right. It's been a few months since I was on the Phoenix website and i don't think the Turnigy/Flysky i6 was listed, but I'll go back and have a proper look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  17. They would just have to write the right code. ????? ;)

18. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

19. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Wildthing likes this.
  20. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

Took out my FRC Foamies SBACH 342 again this morning. I’ve spent the last couple of weeks (since maiden) getting a feel for it with low throws; so far all good, but it wasn’t really doing any 3D stuff. So I decided to set my Sports mode throws a little higher (not too much, but decent). Got nice and high, flicked it into sports mode, and off it went – now it’s acting a little more like a 3D plane!! And it flew around beautifully when inverted; almost too easy (he says).

Landed ok, sent it up on the second battery, and decided I was so awesome that I could do an inverted low pass. Except that I had forgotten to flick it back into Normal fly mode, so high throws were still active. Don’t ask how I jumped from tootling-around-leisurely to inverted-low-altitude-high-speed-pass-with-sports-mode-throws in the space of one 3-min battery, but that’s how it went.

Rolled the plane over, lost control of the bank angle, my elevator control was all over the shop (not helped by the orientation changing way too quickly for me), and the next thing I know it was flying straight at my head. I can’t quite recall, it happened pretty quick, but I think it was sideways. It was either sideways, or upside down and sideways…

Anyway, decision time – do I duck to avoid the prop and let it crash, or try to catch it? Of course there was only one thing to do, right? But instead I chickened out and let it crash.

Nothing major, just a nose repair and a few cracks in the fuselage. Unless there’s any benefit to flying with the motor angled down and left? ;-)

Should be back up again in no time…

Attached Files:

Wildthing likes this.