FRCFoamies SBACH 342 Advanced Profile Parkjet

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by F1wanabe, Sep 6, 2015.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

20150826_124612.jpg 766.jpg IMG_20150906_164612411 (1).jpg
    f5078fe7-9c94-489a-8edb-defc8fab07b3-1.jpg IMAG1277.jpg

orange_buynow.png

We LOVE the SBACH 342! Why? While we normally design parkjets to look and fly like real planes, Philipp Steinbach (SBACH) designed the SBACH 342 to mimic the performance of an RC plane! And because its a two seater you can take a buddy along for the ride...
    Shut Up And Take My Money!
    The SBACH is a plane with huge control surfaces and the real plane is known for its lunch hurling 400 degree per second roll rate. We have toned that down a bit on our SBACH, but you'll feel the precise and fast roll rate. The real SBACH 342 has a symmetrical airfoil wing so inverted flying is effortless. You'll feel that on our FRCFoamies SBACH 342 also. Whatever the maneuver, the plane feels totally in control!

A COUPLE NEAT FEATURES:
    • We've designed the plane to be used with a typical 2200 kv parkjet motor like a Grayson MJV3 or RCTimer 2826 with a 2s battery- components we all have laying around the workbench. A MJV3 with 8x3.8 or 8030x3 inch props using a 750mah 2s lipo is an ideal set up!
    • You can build and fly the FRCFoamies SBACH in an afternoon!
    **SOME TIPS**
    • Total weight should be in the 10oz range but the plane can take a lot of extra weight. If you do exceed 10 oz, two wing spars will be required.
    • We use one servo for ailerons, but for advanced maneuvers feel free to use two aileron servos for flaps and spoilers.
    • Recommended CG point is approximate. Once its dialed in, you'll know!
    • If you are new to 3D flying, rudder use is necessary. No bank and yank!
    • We provide inner and outer side force generators. We prefer only the outers but feel free to experiment.
    • Experiment with other power systems! We've also tested a Heads Up 400 Sport with 8040x3 prop on an 800 3s battetry. Very nice performance but the extra weight needs extra wing stiffening.
    We hope you enjoy this latest offering in our Advanced Profile Parkjet series of planes. Check our FRCFoamies Profile Series thread often to see previews of our next plane.
    http://www.rcpowers.com/community/threads/frcfoamies-profile-series-preview.18510/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  2. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks! EDIT Jay/Greg
    Sunday Night Entertainment:)
    I'll just get a cup of coffee before I look at the video.

bimoadiprakoso, F1wanabe and malukk like this.
  3. Amazing looking planes guys..,
    Very nice paint jobs!

bimoadiprakoso and Airflow like this.
  4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Thank you guys! Lars, you can have it done by the time your coffee cup is empty!

bimoadiprakoso and Airflow like this.
  5. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Absolutely Greg:) it's being built as fast as my RCP Extra.

bimoadiprakoso and F1wanabe like this.
  6. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Top Gun

I cut my second version out in 40 minutes, if it wasn't for the fancy paint job I would of had it completed in 2hrs!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

7. FED50H

FED50H Top Gun

Added some stiffeners because of the mpf and the 3s set up. Grayson hobby disposable foamy combo, with Gws, 8043 prop, 500mah 3s, yields 4 minutes of flight at about 12 ounces...super stable, super slow, but with 3D punch...rudder is a must, and it is very effective. I've started trying to fly more inverted and this is phenomenal at that...great design guys. 9b786e9c-c00c-45c1-940f-11312fc0c154.jpg b2f5248d-a34b-416f-8a8a-80af089645e0.jpg 542e5a91-67ad-4a91-9f91-7b4542680e8b.jpg IMG_20150906_164557599.jpg

8. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

WoW! Some people are faster to build than others ....
    Well done! FED :)

bimoadiprakoso and Newt like this.
  9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

bimoadiprakoso and Newt like this.
  10. TomMonton

TomMonton Top Gun

I thought I would share with you some eye candy this morning.

I was even scolded just yesterday for being too critical

...but I still think it's worth the extra touch. uploadfromtaptalk1441691297134.jpg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  11. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

That.Looks.Fantastic! That airbrushing is excellent!

Homey

12. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Wow! You are the man! It is definitely too beautiful to fly, a work of art ...

13. Chip, I was wondering the same thing if this plane would require stiffners if built from MPF. Generally on these profile 3d planes, I have noticed twisting of tail esp. when throttling up... For RCP extra 300 adding 2 spars on the vertical fuse section did help a little but not much. Do those stiffners do the trick? I am even thinking of making a full 3d fuselage for this plane :rolleyes: but I guess then I would just be adding weight which won't be good for 3d... :eek:

14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Yes it does! On mine I have a small MPF strip all along the fuselage glued on the diagonal. That's all you need. I also taped the leading edge of the wing with packing tape and that stopped some wing flutter I got on 3s. But, lightweight is the word of the day here!
    The purpose of this profile series is to give you total performance from a 2 or 3 hour build, so we did a profile fuselage!

Our Website :www.frcfoamies.com
    My youtube :www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

15. FED50H

FED50H Top Gun

I would look closely at Tom's supports down the length of the fuse...i added triangles after I had ran the control rods...but building the supports in looks cleaner and will work better...also taping the LE like F1 said

bimoadiprakoso and malukk like this.
  16. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

This looks perfect for around the yard. When you can't fly a parkjets slow enough, fly a 3D plane.
    I really like the side wing fences.

17. TomMonton

TomMonton Top Gun

I used more of a planking method for support because I didn't want to add a bunch of weight to the frame.

uploadfromtaptalk1441748698212.jpg

I had built using MPF and yes. ..it was way too floppy. FED had actual flown his before adding any support. You could see in the video how it was twisting big time on a quick manuveur.

What I did is very tedious but it works well to squelch out all that added play. It took me an extra night to tinker toy all that together but when I finished, both top and bottom, I liked how it felt. Any twist or flex I was feeling was distributed across the entire frame nicely.

The triangles are sliced from 6mm scrap and the cover skin was 3mm depron.

When finished and painted and with the one servo in place (aileron) total weight was 5.4 ounces. Still well below the 6 ounce mark.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  18. FED50H

FED50H Top Gun

Now get out there and slam this beauty into the ground!!! Well not really...it floats so slow and controlled you would have to work at it to slam it...a low inverted Gonk....yep, easy to do...

Flybyknight22, F1wanabe and TomMonton like this.
  19. TomMonton

TomMonton Top Gun

Cart wheels are the most heart breaking to recover from.

Those low to floor knife edges that. ..didn't. Instead watch it tumble across the grass. Truly a cuss&swear moment.

Yes sir ....I am on it.

Flybyknight22 and F1wanabe like this.
  20. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Ace Pilot

Thank's for this idea and tip,I'm building mine with mpf also and would have been disappointed if i finished it and then found out about the problem Tom. Thank's again

TomMonton likes this.