FRCFOAMIES PROFILE F-16

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

2. man I want to rebuild this one....uhhhhh dang so many jets so little time.... :( :(

did I ever pay you for these plans Jay. I dont remember.. I know I did for the Alpha jet but not sure about this one

3. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

4. ok just makin sure....

5. orcassailor

orcassailor Rookie

Anyone care to offer advice/theory/predictions regarding this battery holder/placement? Here's my thoughts; First, I am just above beginner in the time-at-the-sticks category so I don't need maximum performance, I need stability and predictability. This 2200 battery weighs 180g of the total all up flying weight of 450g. I realize that by placing that much weight off the rolling axis I am likely to get corkscrews instead of rotations when I roll the plane. But...won't that weight at the bottom of the plane give me the benefits that I'm looking for?
    What am I missing? Don't worry about hurting my feelings, I used to teach middle school, you can't hurt me;)
    The weather is nasty, and will stay that way for a while so I have lots of time to modify before I take the maiden flight.
    Battery holder 1.jpg Servo and battery covers.jpg Servo and battery covers 2.jpg Air Passageway.jpg F-16 Profile 2.jpg

6. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

7. orcassailor

orcassailor Rookie

Boxermad, you make perfect sense. What do you think about trying it? Waste of time?

8. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

9. orcassailor

orcassailor Rookie

Will do. I also added a carbon rod along the joint of the fuselage from the engine mount forward. I figure it might help if I hit a little hard. Or, it will transfer the load more completely and break the plane in half at the motor mount! Time will tell...
    I can't find any reference to how to store my lipo's. Mind telling me what voltage/state of charge you store yours at?

Thanks! Your Alpha Jet was a perfect first timer's scratch build. Felt weird taking the goods off it to make this F-16 but I got over it:) Building and flying that plane taught me so much, I'm very grateful. Thank you.

10. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

11. orcassailor

orcassailor Rookie

Well.......Video of the Alpha jet did not happen. Had no one to hold the camera and the plane didn't survive the day. I suppose I could glue it back together but I'm really happy with what I learned from it (wrote about that in the Alpha Jet section) and hopeful will apply all that knowledge to the F-16. I'm sure I'll make another Alpha Jet and it will be a better built craft.
    I'll do my best to video the F-16 and post it here. Weather is nasty and not looking like a break.
    Thanks for the battery info, very much appreciated.
    BTW we absolutely loved your video of your boxer chasing the plane!

12. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

13. orcassailor

orcassailor Rookie

Maiden flight of the F-16 profile happened yesterday and it was a resounding success! The battery hanging below the plane did what I thought it would do, it provided plenty of stability. However, it also rendered the plane nearly impossible to roll. Took that off this morning then made two flights today with the battery inside the body against the center support. The 2200 battery really slows down the vertical climb vs the 1600. I think I'll be sticking to 1600's from now on. I'll be adding more servo throw for an increased roll rate tonight. Great plane! So easy to fly. Thank you!
    Sorry but no video... yet. I only had my phone to record the first flight and that video isn't worth watching. Next time I'll have a real vid camera and an assistant to operate it.

14. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

15. KISSarmy

KISSarmy Rookie

i like it, i wanted to creat my own design, but i didnt know really how. how did you put all the electronics, go around the prop, im saying can you still put something in the front since the prop has go in the middle of the body

16. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

17. KISSarmy

KISSarmy Rookie

18. KISSarmy

KISSarmy Rookie

19. Yes u can put the servos behind the motor and the battery in the front. Then nust route the wires around the prop and motor

Its just foam not perfection. build it close to the plans and it will fly, then learn to customize. But most of all, JUST HAVE FUN!!!!!

20. orcassailor

orcassailor Rookie

You'll catch on quickly, don't worry. The real beauty of these plane is how you get to modify them to your own liking. Have you read the Perfect ParkJet System? LOTS of great information there. On the F-16 by Boxermad I changed all sorts of things compared to what others have done. Some worked some did not! For instance I learned: Do not put the battery outside the bottom of the plane unless you want a rock solid plane that doesn't want to roll :)
    I have added a second layer to the bottom and cut a door in the middle thus making a battery box. I hot glued a piece of Velcro to the bottom of the new battery box (the hook side) and the other side onto my batteries. (The bottom of the box is actually the top when the plane isn't inverted as it is when putting in the batteries) I cut holes just big enough for the servos in the sides of the plane, forward of the prop cutout and hot glued the servos in place. I used carbon tubes to extend the control rods to the elevons and ran them down the inside of the horizontal frames. I used tiny plastic cable ties (zip ties) to hold the wiring from the motor in place against the center vertical support and taped all wires and the ESC to the plane so they wouldn't get blown around.
    Does this help?