FRCFOAMIES PROFILE F-16

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Jan 31, 2012.

1. squishy

squishy Top Gun

outside loops, yes...

pretty awesome...I was doing something similar this weekend, and I think I even got a front flip (tumble) on flim...the profile F16 shape lends itself to this for some reason...

2. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

i really like this plane its just like the mig, you can have so much fun with it. i just need to be a bit more careful as i get a bit carried away with my manouvers.

3. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

F-16 vs dog

4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Ha! Keep Hugo away from the airfield! He's got his technique down now!

Sent from my Htc Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

5. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

i had so much fun doing this i might do it every time the planes ready for the bin.

6. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

7. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

8. OGHarpax

OGHarpax Airman

Had my maiden today, and Boxer, I gotta say.. well done man! I was cautiously optimistic with this build... never tried a profile parkjet before. Just elevons (in a rush to try her) moderate winds, and this thing was just a joy to fly. Took a few minutes to get used to the balance and flight characteristics, but what a blast.

Excellent plane. Thanks so much for sharing the plans :cool:

9. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

thanks for building the plane. did you use the updated or older plans. have you any pics or vids. for elevons only like i did it flys really well but add ailerons and the roll will be so much better. how did you find the build have you any suggestions.

10. OGHarpax

OGHarpax Airman

Updated plans. Meatball84 shot video for the maiden. I'll get it posted tomorrow. Few pics I took..

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

The build was nice. I've scratchbuilt enough I was able to breeze through it fairly quickly. I used a microjetV3 on mine, and the prop slot looks kinda big for it.
    I am going to add on some ailerons tomorrow.
    One thing I did find 'tricky' was getting the CG for pitch right. The battery is alot closer to the prop than the other planes I've built, so any adjustment to the position of the battery had a pretty large effect on tail heavy/nose heavy. Especially when throwing on an 1800 after lightweight 1500's. Did a loop right over my head on launch lol.
    Overall though, I was actaully shocked by how well it flew. Very stable, high med slow speed, and sweet jebus but that thing can turn on a dime and do loops all day long.

Again, thanks for the plane, and well done! :)

11. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

you did a good job on the build that looks really nice. ye just play with the cg, i had mine back and loops are insane but move the battery forward and it calms the plane down a bit. looking forward to seeing the vid. post back with feedback on the aileron mod. oh ye the prop slot on original plan only just fit a 6" prop so i made it bigger and should now fit a mega jet motor. have you put a kf2 on it. have you mounted the battery on the top because there should be plenty of room to fit in the hatch underneath.

12. OGHarpax

OGHarpax Airman

Yeah, put kf2 on it. I was going to put the battery down below, but I was worried it would block too much airflow and force the nose down, so opted for a top mount. Makes changing them a lot easier too.

13. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

did you film the plane before you added the kf2 or was it fitted. yes it does make for easyer changing of the battery, but i mounted mine underneath and did not cause and pitching problems. what ever is best for you.

14. OGHarpax

OGHarpax Airman

I put the kf2 on her right from the start. I havent had a chance to get the maiden video from him yet, but I did shoot some from this mornings flying. ****ty keychain cam, but not bad.

In between the maiden and this morning, I made a few mods. I moved the servos back closer to the elevons, and added a big piece of bottom plate foam to the rear. The idea was to make her rear heavier so I could move the battery more forward and still have the cg stable. I also took your advice and put the battery down below where it belongs.

I was very anxious of using my heavy 2200mha batteries in this plane, but once the light ones were used.. well.. one more flight, right? This thing flies soo much better with a heavier battery. This design of yours just keeps on suprizing me.

Cant say it enough boxer.. Thank-you! and well done man! :)

I'll link the video once it's finished uploading

15. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

nice vid even from a key chain, looks really nice in the air and im glad you like it. you need to try aileron next to quicken up the roll. i used a 1800mah 3s on mine and seemed to a good size, keeps it stable and just move the battery back a bit to get more maneuverability

16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

OGHarpax, that was a nice flight! Smooth! The kf2 will create lift on the rear of the wing which will cause your nose to pitch down which will make you pull the battery back to get level flight. If you want to get the battery forward you can either remove the kf2 (it will fly better without it) or add kf4 which will balance out the kf2 and give you more speed and more precise handling. On these aerobatic delta wing planes a kf2 tends to dull the performance giving it a floaty feel. I always recommend trying all planes with no kf first. Then if you have a specific area you want to improve adding a kf can help. I will begin to build this plane today and will do kf testing on it.

Sent via my Htc Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

17. OGHarpax

OGHarpax Airman

Thanks for the info F1. I think I will take that kf off and do some experimenting too

18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Well, the plane, she is- a- done. Very easy and strong build. 1 sheet depron (plus a couple extra pieces) and 1 day to build! With a little extra glue for durability (I plan on putting this plane through the ringer) it comes in at 17 oz with 1800 3s and mjv3. I've cut the ailerons but will wait to activate them. At this weight with that thrust and the long throws on the elevons this plane should do crazy things with only elevons! Based on boxermad's video I am psyched to fly!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sent via my Htc Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

19. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

looks good f1 like, looking forward to seeing the ailerons in action as i didnt get chance to add them (my dog finished it off)

20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wow, this is such a nice plane, Jay! I think that the Mig 29 is a blast and this plane is like the Mig 29 but razor sharp and with a single stabilizer and smaller intakes it has a lot less drag than the Mig. It also performs really well in the wind with no KFs. It is super fast and this plane with the MJv3 is a rocket. With this wingspan it would also be able to handle the smjv2 with ease. Here is my maiden flight: