FRCFOAMIES PROFILE F-16

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Jan 31, 2012.

1. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Good luck with your maiden flight

F1wanabe likes this.
  2. Rotorhead619

Rotorhead619 Ace Pilot

I have finished the build and can't seem to find my CG mark from my glide test. Any suggestions?

3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

4. Rotorhead619

Rotorhead619 Ace Pilot

It's the mk1.

5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

OOps, misread the title, is CG is the same position. I would start at 2 inches in front of the motor mount and work back to 1 inch as you become familiar with it.

Rotorhead619 likes this.
  6. Rotorhead619

Rotorhead619 Ace Pilot

Sounds good. Should be able to fly tomorrow with any luck. Thanks for all the help.

Wildthing likes this.
  7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

8. Rotorhead619

Rotorhead619 Ace Pilot

Finished my first MK1 build. I have been waiting for over a week for good weather and this week looks bad also. I can't wait to fly it.

9. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

Hey Rotorhead, nice lookingF-16. I'm a bit concerned though about the amount of bend you have in your aileron control rods. Looks to me like you may get a lot of flex. Also, check the amount of flex in the elevator rods. You may consider giving them some support. You have some wicked extreme throws on high rate. You going to video the maiden flight?

Rotorhead619 likes this.
  10. Rotorhead619

Rotorhead619 Ace Pilot

I also had a concern about he control rod bends but I have never really felt any in flight. They are 2-56 rods all around. The elevons have a 2mm Carbon rod for an extension. There isn't much flex in the elevons at all but the alierons do have some. Using the higher rates is one way to compensate for flex. How would you run the control rods?

Maiden flight will definitely be recorded. They are usually very tame and boring but it's good for everyone to see what really happens on first flights. If everything is smooth and easy to control then I will move on to more demanding flight profiles.

F1wanabe likes this.
  11. Rotorhead619

Rotorhead619 Ace Pilot

I do have plans to add LE slats later but I really want to do some inverted flying. So far with all my park jets I have set them up mostly for high alfa. Since I finished the build I wish I would have excluded the KF2 also.

F1wanabe likes this.
  12. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

How would I do it? I don't like bends in control rods. Obviously the best way on this plane is using two servos for the ailerons mounted so there is a straight run between the servo and aileron. For a single servo setup, I would make the bends as close to the control arms as possible while still clearing the prop giving the straightest run.
    control rod.jpg
    Of course, if it works, and you're comfortable with it, then use it. There's more than one way to skin a cat as they say.;) Good luck on the maiden. Looking forward to the video.

Slingshot, F1wanabe and Rotorhead619 like this.
  13. Rotorhead619

Rotorhead619 Ace Pilot

I have thought about that also. Just have never done it that way. I'm also a little cheap and have used the same linkage on a couple planes now.

Slingshot and F1wanabe like this.
  14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Rotorhead, you should be good with the bends as long as there's no play. If you get some flutter, beveling the leading edge of the elevons helps to cut flutter. And le slats really make inverted flying easy! Good luck with the flight!

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

Rotorhead619 and Slingshot like this.
  15. Rotorhead619

Rotorhead619 Ace Pilot

Working on building my second but waiting to maiden my first build. Might get to it today with any luck.

16. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Rotorhead, here are a couple of photos of two Mk1 F-16s I built, to show you some options for control rods and servos. I'm a big fan of straight control rods. The FRC Foamies F-16 (either mark) is a lovely little plane, easy to build and so much fun to fly. Good luck!
    Cheers, John

This is my setup for a Mk 1 with activated ailerons:
    [​IMG]

And this is a Mk 1 that I built at 120%scale, which flies like a dream:
    [​IMG]

And just for fun, here's a video of another of my Mk 1 F-16s in flight, this one with no ailerons. It's mostly high-alpha practice, but it shows the plane is capable of all sorts of flight profiles.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  17. So good to see you John! long time...

JohnFromOz and Shannon like this.
  18. Rotorhead619

Rotorhead619 Ace Pilot

john from oz, I was able to get 2 flights in today with some video and reviews. YouTube was taking forever to upload so I didn't have a chance to get them up today.

I do remember reading your second version and the changes that you made. I made sure me that i incorporated them into my second build with some changes.

19. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Thanks mate, I've been up to my eyeballs in 'other stuff' for most of last year. Hoping to have a quieter time this year, with some more building and flying!
    John

Shannon and malukk like this.
  20. Rotorhead619

Rotorhead619 Ace Pilot

I finally got the first flight on youtube. Here it is:

The video and audio are not that good. It was my first time using my gopro and a chest mount. Not sure what happened with the audio but I will try to fix it in later videos.

This plane seems to have a really bad wing rock for some reasons. any ideas?

Boxermad84 likes this.