FRCFOAMIES PROFILE F-16

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Well there is one Ian, flying equivalent, her little brother Su-30 V4

Slingshot and bogusbandit56 like this.
  2. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I am only in the process of building it now , with a VCW , Lars. You will notice that I had not listed it but I know you are right as you`ve built the lot.

3. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes, I just saw your latest Su-30 photos. Looks very promising Ian!

Slingshot and bogusbandit56 like this.
  4. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I have been greedy and posted it on my own thread as well.

Slingshot and Airflow like this.
  5. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

thanks will check!;)

6. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

I know these days the F-16mk2 is that one of interest. However, after my modification of my F-16(mk1) of adding leading edge slats, I would like to ask all of you and especially the design team of FRCF if the setup of the plane has to be adjusted when adding leading edge slats?
    my impression is that the plane got a little bit more nose-heavy after adding LES (nose heavy is maybe the wrong term, because the CoG has not changed and plane is balanced) - but what I experience on flight (not in high-speed), is that I have to pull back my stick back (pitch) a little bit nearly all the time in addition to some trim which is already applied. may you got some nice know-how on that topci which you probably got out of the mk2 design.

ps: I tried to place my battery more to the back (about half an inch, but there was not a big difference and I don't want to put it more in the back, since the CoG will then get more out of balance)

pps: when I make a roll, I do have to make it clockwise, otherwise it will be too slow (counter-clockwise, most likely due to act against torque). note I am using mixed elevons. What I also noticed was, that the roll is not very clean, it's more like a cork-roll - this was already before my modification regarding LES. do you know how I can fix the cork-roll? is it all about trimming?

thx

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    bogusbandit56 likes this.
  7. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

That sounds exactly the same problem I had with the Mig 2.88. with the plane balanced on the CG I had to fly it up elevator, then when I moved the battery back it became squirrely and unstable and finally crashed. That means with too much LE slat, it is acting like down elevator.

8. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

It totally makes sense what you described, that the LE slats act like down elevator. But I already had that issue before I added LE slats. anyone has experience on that? - would it make more sense to move the battery back and risking of getting it unstable (like bb56 described). or should I trim my elevons/elevator (adjust the pushrod in clevis)?

9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

All parkjets need to be trimmed up on the elevator especially if you are looking for stability. Pulling battery back can lead to you needing to trim less, but then you lose stability. The cg of the mig 2.88, for example, is a tad forward because it's so good at high alpha that we compromised a little with reduced aerobatics. So, you can pull it back an inch and get better aerobatics and push it forward an inch for better high alpha, but in either case, you will always need up trim. If you pull cg back enough to get level flight without up trim, you'll most likely get a plane that in too unstable to fly! The LE flaps and kf airfoils both add lift behind cg, so you would still need to set up trim, but that is the result of increased lift, not a down elevator effect.
    If you are having an issue with the plane always pushing down under throttle, then I would check the motor angle, since a down tilted motor will give you that. But, this plane really doesn't need much set up at all!

Newt likes this.
  10. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

thanks for that, will check the things. any advice regarding the issue with cork-roll? FRCFOAMIES PROFILE F-16
    I am running a 6x4 prop on a 2200kv motor with 2200mAh LiPo battery. The weight of the battery should not have an influence regarding the roll "pattern" (if placed right in regards of the CoG), just on the roll speed, right?

11. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

moved to the correct thread

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    Newt and TomMonton like this.
  12. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

13. uasdriver

uasdriver Cadet

Cool.

Are you going to do this with a 3D fuselage?

14. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

possibly in the future we might but the mk2 design, this is the mk1 thread.

malukk and Airflow like this.
  15. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

a 3D FRC F-16
    Yes thank you!:)

16. uasdriver

uasdriver Cadet

I think a guy over in the Scratch-build forum beat you to it.
    His looks pretty good. Even has a flying anhedral elevator.

17. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

I think most planes have been done at one point, I know a couple of 3d fues f16

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

18. uasdriver

uasdriver Cadet

Yes mostly profile like yours. I did find some but they are either EDF or have a rear-end motor/prop arrangement.
    The one in the scratch-built forum was a mid-motor pusher like yours only in 3D.

F1wanabe likes this.
  19. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

That Bob's? Bob makes good planes! I built his j20 nano way back and then modified the plan to make my 1.44 profile. The problem with 3d fuselage f16s is that the prop wash has nowhere to go behind the prop because of the single central stabilizer. JMW had a great edf f16, or a rear mount would work for the f16 too.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

20. bobdabilduh55

bobdabilduh55 Top Gun

Are we talking about me again? LOL
    Hey F1 Check out my Newest "5EZP" F-16 pusher with the "Trident Tail".
    Yesterday I clocked her @ 62.1 mph (RCSPEEDO) with the SMJv2 and 7x5 prop.
    So I don't think she's having a "Prop-wash issue" with my "Power-V" and "Trident Tail" configuration.

F1wanabe likes this.