FRCFOAMIES PROFILE F-16

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Jan 31, 2012.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

The mig 2.88 with kf2 and le flaps really does feel more stable than either of them alone, so give it a shot!

lysle42 likes this.
  2. hstroisch

hstroisch Cadet

Just a follow up on the F16 as I've flown it several times now. What a great plane. I was hesitant with the ailerons and elevens working off the same servo but the set up rocks. Hi Alfa is amazing and zero motor harrier coming down is cool to watch. Enjoying this build every day.

F1wanabe and lysle42 like this.
  3. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

as evident from a previous post, i am thinking of adding ailorns to my plane. when looking at the plans, i just realized, that there is no marking/print for the ailorns control surfaces. so my question is, what would be recommendable dimensions for the ailerons?
    i was thinking of 2inches/50mm width and the whole length the wing is. maybe 60mm width.
    i think that must fit with the dimensions of the ailerons of @JohnFromOz his version (picture above).
    thanks for any advice

ps: what deflection do you recommend?

lysle42 likes this.
  4. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

I wouldn't make them to big, they are very elective. I'd say about 40mm and keep the throw low on maiden, then build it up to how you like.

lysle42, unclejamal and F1wanabe like this.
  5. Newt

Newt Administrator

This might just happen

lysle42 and F1wanabe like this.
  6. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

how many degrees are the leading edge slats facing downwards?

jimbosflyin likes this.
  7. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I bet if you got some aluminum drink cans you could use the thin metal to make semi rigid hinges , that way you could experiment for the best effect.

unclejamal likes this.
  8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

unclejamal and lysle42 like this.
  9. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

hey,...
    i was so motivated yesterday, that i haven't had the patience as to wait for your answers. so i decided just to make the mods as i thought they will work. I took a look at he pics ofof @JohnFromOz and his F-16 110% scale (1 previous page in this thread).
    ...it looked weird, me sitting in front of the screen trying to measure some dimensions and angles out of the pics from John :D

however, have a look of the result for yourself!
    DSC_8889_.jpg
    DSC_8888_.jpg DSC_8890_.jpg

i decided to make it 15° facing downwards. i think that was a good choice, maybe your recommendation of 20° would be even better, but i am satisfied with the result.

i tried the performance in a "maiden" of this version. there was a severe breeze, but the performance of the plane was very well. nice high alpha flying! with some head wind it was practically standing at the same place, just hovering some meters in front of me :) it even flow backwards sometime, when there was a heavier headwind.
    i am exited how it will perfom when flying it under weather conditions with no wind - but i am quite confident... and happy with the mod! :)

PS: i nearly had a crash, there was a wind gust while flying high alpha. i got in some troubulences (=troubles+turbulences :) ), they plane was difficult to control (even with the motor power way up) and suddenly the plane disappeared behind a line of trees which have been behind me. i didnt see the plane anymore, i just did something on my radio sticks (like playing mario kart?!?)... but a second later the plane reappears behind the trees. in expectations to get the plane back into my flying area, it made it's way towards a small power line which is right after the line of trees - i thought it would get toasted, but the plane suddenly climbed straight up above the power lines. then everything was fine. it was really a near miss! wow! in addition this all happend in an angle towards the sun (glaring). so to sum it up: i never lost control of my plane haha :D

Slingshot, bogusbandit56 and F1wanabe like this.
  10. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Looks great, unclejamal!

11. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Now that really sounds exciting, it must have been a great feeling getting the plane back. I love the new word troubulence, that will go in my dictionary:)

Slingshot and unclejamal like this.
  12. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

@bogusbandit56 , could you explain that to me in more detail? how does this look like. I don't really have a clue what you mean ;) ? thx

13. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

In the olden days when I was just a pup, I used to fly free flight gliders and rubber powered models. Instead of a plastic hinge we would use thin aluminium to make hinges so we could add a little trim as needed on the rudder or elevator. we would get a coke can and pierce it , cut the top off and cut strips from it. WE would insert the strips between the wood fibers of the balsa fin and rudder and glue them into place, that way we could make small adjustments to the trim, the aluminium was stiff enough to hold the control surface in place but could be bent to allow for more or less angle depending on weather conditions. If you did this on a leading edge slat you would have to make the hinges stiff enough not to flex in flight by adding more hinges. for a foamy jet I would cut a bevel in both the wing and slat surfaces and put some aluminim into the bevel edges and glue with UHU por or foam safe contact adhesive (some thing with a little flex) and may be some packing tape or blenderm along the join to support the hinges. Then you have a variable slat for different flying conditions. I am currently building a plane with variable slats and flaps working off a servo and will post some pictures when I have it working.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      361.2 KB
      Views:
    unclejamal likes this.
  14. Slingshot

Slingshot Ace Pilot

Hey everyone - quick question for anyone who has built both this and the SU-34. How do they compare in flight behavior? I've ordered a box of 20 sheets of foam, and looking at the build specs I could make 20 F-16's with it - instead of three/four SU's. So these beautiful profile jets are now looking very good as a build alternative while I get some some flight experience. Thanks in advance.

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Well, that is a great question! First, if you can wait until the weekend or so, we'll have the f16 mk2 ready.
    [​IMG]
    Jay's just waiting for the wind to stop to confirm the final plan. The mk2 tales this plane to a whole different level. I love the su34 and it is almost the ideal parkjet trainer. The f16 mk2 is stable less twitchy than the mk1 but is still crazy maneuverable. The plus of the f16 is it took me 3 hours to build whereas the su34 took about 10 hours over 2 days. But the su34 gives you plenty of time to react. So, i guess it would be up to you whether lower build time or ease of flight is more important. Check out our profile thread here:
    http://www.rcpowers.com/community/index.php?posts/239993

Slingshot likes this.
  16. dangermouse650

dangermouse650 Ace Pilot

Slingshot, maybe try the Mig 29 mk1, its profile, quick to build and easy to fly, i've had lots of fun with mine.

Slingshot likes this.
  17. Slingshot

Slingshot Ace Pilot

Thanks a lot F1 and DM, I'll keep that in mind. :)

F1wanabe likes this.
  18. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I have built the mig29 v4 the FRC F15, Alpha jet, Mig 2.88, GuppyX32 and F35 and none of them act like the SU34. The SU34 is my favourite because it is stable, floaty and still do great maneuvers. It is not a fast jet but can be flown fast or just walking pace and it does not have any nasty surprises. I am not detracting from any of the other RCP& FRC Planes , it is just my own preference:)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    Airflow, F1wanabe and Slingshot like this.
  19. Slingshot

Slingshot Ace Pilot

Thanks mate. :)

bogusbandit56 and F1wanabe like this.
  20. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I am sure if Jay and Greg did do a Sukhoi profile jet with the same qualities it would be fantastic to be able to build very quickly and have super floaty, small park qualities that beginner`s and experience pilots could enjoy. A profile su37? In fact I have just given myself an idea for the next project, as I have a little AXN floater jet and the FRC su 37 plans, hhhhhmmmmmm?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    Slingshot likes this.