FRCFOAMIES PROFILE F-16

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Jan 31, 2012.

1. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Theoretically there's no limit, up to 90 degrees, but that would act like a massive airbrake. I don't know the optimum amount, depends on the plane and the application. 30-40 percent would be more than enough, I think.
    John

lysle42 likes this.
  2. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Continuing the build of my 110 percent scale FRC F-16...

Pre-painting of the main parts completed!

John

[​IMG]

Slingshot, F1wanabe, Rook and 4 others like this.
  3. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Very nice color scheme. .

JohnFromOz likes this.
  4. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Looking good John! I see leading edge slats, nice touch. Can you fit a 7" in it at that size? I had a 1900kv motor with a 7x5 a while back on the f18 v2. Plenty of power but might be to heavy for this.

JohnFromOz likes this.
  5. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

FRC Foamies F-16 ~ 110 percent scale completed!

My 110 percent build of the F-16 is done, ready for the maiden flight.

The specs are:
    • Length 1130 mm (44.4 inches)
    • Wingspan 850 mm (33.4 inches)
    • Weight 640 g (22.5 oz) including battery
    I installed a 2700 kv motor on a 7x5 prop, a 40A ESC and a 2200 mah battery. I have some bigger motors to try later.

To ensure the wing is sufficiently rigid, I used a 6 mm carbon fibre tube.

I used the same fixed leading edge slats that Jay and Greg designed into their Mig 2.88 APC, as well a KF2 step. I also activated the ailerons and rudder.

In order to protect the elevons during landings, I used my usual technique of adding lower side-rail extensions.

Finally, I added two strakes or "sliders" to the belly to protect the plane and keep grass/crud out of the electronics area.

Some pics are below. I might even get a chance to maiden her this week!

Cheers, John

The F-16 always looks great from this angle.
    [​IMG]

I applied a graduated yellow/orange/red paint scheme, simply using rattle can paint.
    [​IMG]

Close-up of the leading edge slats, copied from the Mig 2.88 APC. Should help low speed lift.
    [​IMG]

The underside showing the servo placement. Note the structure supporting the leading edge slats.[​IMG]

I installed two strakes to protect the belly of the plane.
    [​IMG]

6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Nice, John! Why not go for the ntm prop drive 2700 ? The wing loading will be very low and the speed will be pretty crazy being a profile plane!

7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Oops, I see I missed a more recent post! Looks great, John, and I am very curious to see what the le flaps will do for it? The f16 is the most maneuverable plane I've flown, and you've just made it more so. Good luck!

8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I wonder how that 2700 motor will react to the 7x5 prop? Is that the ntm 2700?

9. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Hi Greg, I'm a bit uncertain about the motor/prop combo. The motor is a Focal Price A2212s 2700 kv job. I have a heavier NTM Propdrive 28-36 2700 kv motor on the workbench, and could easily mount it. What do you think?
    John

10. Ronnie88

Ronnie88 Rookie

Orange F-16 looks cool.

11. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

I'm curios about the performance of the leading edge slats. looking forward to the maiden flight report! nice and clean build!

12. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Hi John, I'd be very careful with that motor prop combo, especially in your climate! 7x5 would be better on a motor around 2000kv unless you are going with a 2s power system?

13. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Hi Jay and Greg, you are dead right about the 2700 kv plus 7x5 prop. I maidened the 110% F-16 this afternoon. It flew great but the motor was red hot at the end of a 5 minute flight. I let it cool right down and tried it with a 6x4 prop later, and it flew just as well with much less stress on the motor. I think 6x4 is the way to go.

Either way, the scaled up F-16 is an absolute winner! I think the fixed LE slats are the secret sauce of the whole thing---it flew beautifully and the high alpha performance was unbelievable! It is the easiest high-alpha I have even flown. I think we're on to something here. I tried HA with the 6x4 prop too and it was just the same: stable, sweet, totally easy.

I'm uploading the maiden flight video (with the 7x5 prop) now, will publish it shortly.

John

FED50H, Boxermad84 and F1wanabe like this.
  14. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Nice, John! Those black emp props (balanced) work best with that motor. 6x3 works well but I prefer 6x4.

JohnFromOz and lysle42 like this.
  15. hstroisch

hstroisch Cadet

Here's my Thunderbird F16 that I flew a maiden on today. Kind of gusty wind but the plane flew great. What a nice flyer that is easy to build and fun to fly. Ty for the plans.

Attached Files:

16. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

FRC Foamies F-16 at 110% - Maiden Flight

Here's the video of the maiden flight of my 110% F-16 by Jay and Greg.

This plane rocks! The addition of the fixed leading edge slats seems to be a key factor, although the KF2 step might also play a part. Perhaps the slight increase in scale also helps with lift. Whatever the reason, the plane flies beautifully. Stable, smooth and predictable. The standout feature is high alpha flight, which is simply superb.

With a couple more flights completed, I've settled on a 6x4 prop on the 2700 kv motor. It produces ample punch and keeps the motor and ESC relatively cool.

Hope you enjoy the video!

Cheers, John

Newt, FED50H, hstroisch and 1 other person like this.
  17. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Looks terrific! I especially like the wingtip missiles. Really nice work!
    John

hstroisch likes this.
  18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

John, you've really got a great set up on this! Once I get time I'll have to do this set up myself. The fixed LE Slats really add a lot of stability especially in high alpha. Great job on the video, and, as usual, truly a pleasure to watch!

lysle42 and JohnFromOz like this.
  19. hstroisch

hstroisch Cadet

Thanks John. I really enjoy your videos and appreciate your input

lysle42 likes this.
  20. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

i am thinking of modifying my F-16.
    1) adding ailerons --> higher/faster roll rate (also an advantage for high alpha)?
    2) kf(m2) airfoil --> better high alpha stability
    3) leading edge slats (like that one of @JohnFromOz) --> better high alpha stability

what will bring me the better high alpha performance kf-airfoil or LE slats? (i know both of them would be even better).
    what do you think?

my current elevator throw is not that much (using elevons right now). will increasing the throw help the plane being more stable with high alpha flying? (just want to know that - without the three mods afore mentioned).

lysle42 and F1wanabe like this.