FRCFOAMIES PROFILE F-16

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Newt

Newt Administrator

Thanks John. Those are some good mods.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

2. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

Good idea. I just plopped it down and broke the other one to match. Your preemptive idea is better. Thanks.

Newt likes this.
  3. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

hi, thinking of building this. just purchased the plans. does it make sense to scale the plans up to about 110% when using a 2200mAh LiPo (2200kv motor)? The thing why I would do that, is because to get more wing surface, because the plane gets heavier with the 2200mAh LiPo.

scaling up the plans causes the plane to decrease maneuverability for stunts, any other disadvantages?
    what are the best places to put the servos, that are not on the plans. I have gone through this thread but beside of the build pictures of some users, I found no detailed info about that.

Last question: Many guys place their LiPo in the very beginning of the "jet-intake" of the engines. Can I do that with my 2200mAh, or do I have to install it a bit further to the nose to achieve the accurate CoG. (if yes I would extend the engine/jet intakes a bit further to the nose) - any experience on that?

thanks!

F1wanabe likes this.
  4. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Hi Unclejamal,

I use both 2S 2200 mah and 3S 2200 mah batteries with the standard size plane. Both work great. The bigger battery gives me more margin for error to punch out of a problem, but I tend to do most of my flying at very low level so I need a snappy response if I screw up. The lighter battery is wonderful for easy flying and high-alpha. Both are good for different flying styles; mix it up, it's all good.

The 3S 2200 mah battery sits 2 1/4 inches (5.5 cm) back from the leading edge of the intake on my plane, but just use the CG spots as per the plans to balance the plane out with a very slight nose down attitude. It's very forgiving, so don't sweat it too much.

Here's a pic of where I placed my servos. I have the ailerons activated but you really don't need to do this. A simple elevon set-up works really well. I like to place the elevon servos near the carbon fibre spar. You could place them further forward but I like to keep the push rods as short as possible to prevent too much flexing.

[​IMG]

I recommend you add some small dorsal fins to the side rails, under the rudders (see the pic below). These stop the points of the elevators catching the grass and breaking if you land with the elevator stick pulled back to flare the plane.

[​IMG]

The FRC Foamies F-16 is a brilliant little plane---I have built three and must have more than 200 flights on this one.

Good luck with your build.

John

5. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

hi. great. now i also got you what the dorsal fins should be for. do you also have a pic of your open jet-intake/fuselage to see the positioning of the electronics? (battery on the right or left side)?
    thanks

F1wanabe likes this.
  6. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

another short question. can i cut out the (right and left) wing-part out of one piece of depron, or has it to be splitted as in the plans? (e.g. due to assembling). thx

lysle42 likes this.
  7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

unclejamal, the wing can be one piece. The half piece makes for easier printing but is not required for plans. Good luck!

lysle42 likes this.
  8. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Hi Unclejamal,

Here are some pics of the electronics bay on my current FRC F-16. I built this one for lightness, hence the GH Microjet motor, 30A ESC and lightweight receiver. Then I went and stuck a 3S battery in it----consistency is not my thing, I guess! My advice would be to keep it light---start with a 2S battery and try the 3S later.

You can see that I mount the battery on its side using velcro on the centre piece of foam in the compartment. The height of the compartment matches the battery perfectly, so it's a tight fit. I wanted to keep the weight as close to the centre line as possible. You might want to consider placing the battery on the other side, to help the counteract torque effect at high revs---it's not a major issue, just a consideration. Mine flies extremely well.

Please ignore the battered look of the plane---it's been thoroughly crashed several times and spent two nights up a tree! And it's still flying superbly, despite all the dings and cracks!

John

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

thanks for the pics, they will definetely help me. i have seen you made the backpart of the engines/compartment to open via a hinge. have cut out the wings from one part depron or have you cut each side seperately and glued them together?

lysle42 and F1wanabe like this.
  10. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

You're welcome. The hinged hatch makes it easy to instal/remove the battery. I glued the wing sections together, using 5-minute epoxy. The wing plate is strong, especially with the carbon fibre rod.
    John

lysle42 and F1wanabe like this.
  11. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

i built the F-16 over the weekend! the plane including all components (incl. 2200mAh 3S, 2200kv motor) has a weight of 530gramms - I hope that is alright. unfortunately I do not have a lighter battery.
    just a few questions on the setup (i am using just mixed elevons). the plane including all components (incl. 2200mAh 3S) has a weight of 530gramms. I built the wing plate out of two pieces, glued together with 5min epoxy. the carbon rod was also glued with epoxy. small carbon rods on the elevons. other parts were glued with hot glue.
    1) the battery is attached like in the picture of JohnFromOz post#208. when i check the balance of the plane on the roll axis by holding it on the tip and tail at the vertical parts (cockpit and rudder), the plane tends to roll to the right, since the battery is installed on the right side of the "jet intake" middle-frame. i already placed the ESC on the left size as a countermeasure. does this lead to problems, or ist that just a thing i can fix via the trim of the radio?
    2) as you probably know, i am new to rc planes. the only plane i have flown so far was the X-31, which was a plane without thrust vectoring. i also used mixed elevons there, with a deflection of about +/-2.5cm (= +/-1 inch). I want to start small with the F-16, not to have too aggressive controls for the beginning, so what would be recommendable deflection for that? When i am getting more into the flying with thrust vectoring and gain more experience, i will raise the deflection or will not use dual rate mode on the Tx.
    i can post some pictures later today of my build!
    thanks for your comments!

lysle42 likes this.
  12. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Unclejamal, don't worry about the balance being to much to the right hand side of the plane, we do that to counteract the torque of the motor (if using standard prop, not pusher) by placing more weight on one side. You should be good with that.

unclejamal and lysle42 like this.
  13. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

thanks.
    anybody comments to my question #2?

14. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

so here's my build of the FRCF F-16 :D
    DSC_8766.JPG
    DSC_8767.JPG DSC_8768.JPG

15. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Hey unclejamal,

That looks brilliant! Nice build and great colour scheme. I particularly like the propeller guard---very clever. I might copy that! With only elevons working, stronger throws might be useful to give good control authority.

Just a small tip: try to reduce the file size of your photos when posting pics on forums. You photos are quite large, 1.7 megs each and upwards, which makes for very slow downloads unless viewers have cable. There are plenty of apps to reduce file size without sacrificing image quality, especially for on-line use.

Congratulations!
    John

lysle42 and unclejamal like this.
  16. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

actually its a hand-guard :D the intention was to save my hands. but however, I would have made a prop-guard on the bottom of the plane. I suppose if you made something like this it has to be well attached to the frame of the plane as there will be some force on the impact (or you can call it "landing" :) )

17. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

hi,

yesterday i maidened my F-16! it flies great, climbs straight up, even with my 2200mAh 3S Lipo. The hand start was no issue.
    Also did some loops. :)
    vlcsnap-2015-04-27-22h10m39s62.png
    I also had two smaller crahes, once i hit a tree (plane was slow and tree "was soft" - so no damage). the other one was "some kind of an unexpected nosedive" :D. The plane hits hard, fortunately causing just two small cracks in the fuselage and a little piece of the nose came off. Was easy to repair.
    I used just elevons and Dual-rate 65% which was about a deflection of +/-3cm (little bit more than 1inch), mixing was 100%. i do not have expo on my radio.
    the pitch was very sensitive. in contrast the roll: that was a bit disapointing. The roll speed was so slow, that i don't dared to try a full roll (even on high altitude). So is there the possibility of improving that, and if yes how? I was thinking of the following two things:

1) Use no dual rate, but with expo - Can't do that because my radio does not have expo (T6A) :(

2) play with the rates of the elevator and mixing to keep the elevator the down, while trying to get just more deflection (acting control surfaces for rolling)

3) use ailerons (not preferred, i want to stay for mixed elevons first).

how about approch #2? Any other solution to get a better speed on the roll?

in contrast: my X-31v1 without and with thrust vectoring mod had a higher roll speed than my current F-16 version+radio setup (however it was a cork roll for the version without tv).

thanks

F1wanabe and JohnFromOz like this.
  18. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Started building a 110 percent scale FRC F-16 as my existing F-16 suffered one too many bumps while flying in the back yard.

It'll be interesting to see how the size affects performance. I'm planning to add KF2 steps just for fun, as well as ailerons and maybe a rudder. Still thinking about which motor/prop to use. Any thoughts, Jay or Greg?

John

[​IMG]

19. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Expo doesn't really effect roll rate at full deflection, only the progression at which the deflection is applied. Dual rates does change the amount of throw, so increase that if your radio allows it. If not, try increasing physically the throws on the elevons, by using the outer hole on the servo arm and the inner hole on the control horn. If you have longer servo control arms, use those. Adding ailerons makes a big difference, and is worth trying later, but the plane rolls OK with just elevons, however. Keep the plane high, roll and add a touch of down elevator when inverted to maintain height.
    John

lysle42 likes this.
  20. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

I cannot put the dual rate or mix above 100%. whats possible on my radio is to set the endpoints to 120%. now I have them on 100%, so I can get out a little bit of throw from that.
    second solution would be as you john have suggested, increase the throw by the hardware setup - thanks for that hint. as I do not have longer servo arms and already using the outer hole. but I can drill an additional hole on the control horn (inner hole).
    what's the highest deflection in % of the elevons with which the plane will work? I know that the absolute deflection says more about it. but is there any relative (%) prediction about it? (e.g. a rel. deflection of 90% does not make sense...), will 45% work? or even more?

JohnFromOz likes this.