FRCFOAMIES PROFILE F-16

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by Boxermad84, Jan 31, 2012.

1. tomernassi

tomernassi Rookie

2. KISSarmy

KISSarmy Rookie

Yes thank you. So now I will use the prop savor, use the Velcro for the battery

3. orcassailor

orcassailor Rookie

You might want to build a plane that has a complete building manual with it rather than one from just plans.

4. KISSarmy

KISSarmy Rookie

yeah, rightthanks

5. HafizDin

HafizDin Rookie

hello every one...

this plane do not need any added aerofoil ( KF2, KF4 ) ?

6. orcassailor

orcassailor Rookie

I've flown mine stock, with only 2 servos controlling elevons and the original flat wing, and with ailerons coupled to the elevons, a rudder, and a kfm4 airfoil. The original setup is fun to fly and perhaps a little easier. When I cut out and then coupled the ailerons to the elevons the pitch control increased dramatically. Adding the rudder gives more options to the flight control and the kfm4 seems to give a stability that I didn't know I was missing with the original setup. I fly with a 1600mAhr battery and a mjv3. This set up gives great vertical performance. The best tip I can offer is to NOT use an APC 6x4 but instead use an EMP 6x4. I get +50 grams more thrust with the EMP and you can really see the difference in the climb ability.

lysle42 and Boxermad84 like this.
  7. orcassailor

orcassailor Rookie

One other mod....
    I glued a 3mm carbon tube from the opening for the prop forward at the intersection of the vertical and horizontal fuselage pieces. Last time I flew it was windy :) I had a hard landing...whack! I heard the foam crack but the plane looked fine. The front of the plane would be completely torn off had that tube not been installed. I just need to put a little hot glue on the cracked pieces.

8. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

orcassailor likes this.
  9. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

High-alpha flying!

I love flying the sweet little FRC Foamies F-16, and thought I’d use it to try to learn to fly high-alpha.

I guess high-alpha is probably not one of the F-16’s main design criteria but it seems to work fine! There’s a bit of a tendency to wing rock, but the simple flat wing is probably partly to blame. Even with only elevons and no rudder, I was still able to steer it around OK. Overall, I really enjoyed the session and made real progress in getting a feel for the high-alpha stuff!

Here’s a video of a quick walk-around of the the plane and one of my first high-alpha practice flights.

Cheers, John

10. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Nice flying John, I had so much fun with my f16! Makes me want to get mine out again

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

11. marair23

marair23 Cadet

F1wanabe and FED50H like this.
  12. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

That looks really good! And from John's video its going to be a smooth flyer, especially when light.

13. Newt

Newt Administrator

How do the flight characteristics compare to the RCP Mig 29v1?
    I think I should have one of these.

lysle42 likes this.
  14. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Hi Newt, I came into the hobby late so I haven't built the Mig29 v1. Dave might have a view, if he's built the FRC F-16.

I love the F-16. To be honest, it's my go-to plane for a quick blast, or a warm-up before the maiden of another plane. If you want to really throw it around, add some ailerons. I have mine switchable via the radio; elevons only or ailerons+elevator. Never felt the need for the rudder. It is super easy to repair. I think my last F-16 had three different noses, which took about 20 minutes to replace from start to finish.

I have a good sized back yard and fly my current FRC F-16 there most evenings; such a great way to finish up a busy day. Build one, man! It'll be done in a couple of hours, tops! Slap some colored packing tape on (very easy on a flat profile plane) and she's ready to fly.

Cheers, John

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    lysle42 and F1wanabe like this.
  15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Like John says, a fun plane for smaller areas. And it's actually a little more maneuverable than the mig 29 v1-very nimble.

lysle42, JohnFromOz and Newt like this.
  16. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

Blasphemy!!! Nothing is more nimble than a mig 29 v1! Dang it, now I gotta build one to find out for myself.

lysle42, Newt and JohnFromOz like this.
  17. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

Nice air brushing...wish I had that talent. If I start trying to get fancy I end up with a black camouflage plane.

lysle42 and Newt like this.
  18. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

lysle42 and JohnFromOz like this.
  19. Newt

Newt Administrator

hahaha ;)

I can't believe that I have over looked this plane for 3 years.

F1wanabe likes this.
  20. JohnFromOz

JohnFromOz Ace Pilot

Newt and FED50H, I forgot to mention: it flies just as well inverted as right way up. It a little gem. I use a 2200 2S for relaxed stuff, 3S for a bit of zip. Both are super fun.

A small suggestion... Because I have fairly tough grass in my back yard, I found that the points of elevons keep catching on landing, and eventually one snapped off. I solved the problem by adding a small fin to the side rails and trimming the points of the elevons slightly, as per the pic below. You can see where I repaired the broken elevon.

John

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    lysle42, ASD and F1wanabe like this.