FRCFoamies Northrop YF23 600 Plans

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, May 28, 2015.

1. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Is that a new word you`ve made up "actuasuper"? I like it!

F1wanabe likes this.
  2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Haha, yes, its been added to Websters! That was Swiftkey's idea of "actually a super".

bogusbandit56 and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  3. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Actuacool as well :D

bogusbandit56 and F1wanabe like this.
  4. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

looks pretty easy to build.

5. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

A twin like the original, 120 scale should be enough.

6. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Made the Nth flight (I couldn't remember) of the Grey Ghost, trying to look ways to improve the black widow. Will write some after reach home :)

bogusbandit56 and F1wanabe like this.
  7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Mine is 120 percent and as a reference that's a 7 inch prop on there.
    [​IMG]
    May have to go a little larger if you want two 6 inch props on there!

8. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes Greg, slightly larger might be needed.

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  9. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

I made some flight tests today with different setups. However, all these setups were having interesting results, not based on exact measurements. Just feelings.

Identical parts on all setups:
    1. 2200KV outrunner brushless
    2. ZTW 30A brushless ESC
    3. 4 pieces of Emax 12g metal gear servos for 2 ailerons and 2 elevons
    4. FrSky XJT module
    5. No rudder
    6. 2200mAH 25C Pulse Battery

1st SETUP
    Prop modded from 7x5 to 6x5. I cut the two ends of the prop, balanced it and installed it on the motor.

2nd SETUP
    2 sets of 6x4 props and install them together using longer prop mounting, so those 2 props set represent 4 blades prop. Before doing it, I balanced both at the same time and place so the blades are perpendicular one to another while installing them to the motor.

3rd SETUP
    A 6x4 prop was installed as it was. No modded nor addition.

All tests were conducted under 10-15 knots of windspeed.

And the results are interesting.....

1st SETUP result
    Before cutting the 7x5 so it became 6x5, the sound of 7x5 prop when tested on the YF-23 was so loud. Specially on full throttle. I landed the plane and switch the prop with the cut down version, 6x5. I did no further test on the 7x5. When the plane was being driven by "6x5" prop, I felt it had very good response and speed. It flew in between 5 to 6 minutes before my tx alarm went screaming. Manuverability was good and gaining height in vertical position was "actuasuper" easy :) Throttle was around 40-60% with occasional punch at 100%. Once landed, I immediately checked the motor temp and ESC. Both were hot, but it didn't hurt my hand when putting my finger on it for let's say 10 secs or more. So, it's somewhat acceptable. As the battery was just slightly warm.

2nd SETUP result
    With 2nd SETUP, I felt almost identical with the 1st SETUP. However, when it flew against the wind, it cruised more stable than then 1st SETUP. Also when trying to do the high alpha. Smoother than the first one. Throttle was around 40-50%. Sudden throttle punch showed a responsive acceleration, even using the 2200KV motor. And when I checked the motor and ESC after it landed, my finger felt about the same with the 1st SETUP. It flew around 5-6 mins to. Once the alarm hit 6 mins, the plane was still able to do some manuvers and it's still responsive showing no degradation or powerloss. Battery temp was also about the same.

3rd SETUP result
    Well, it looked that it had difficulties when flying under heavy wind, catching up and maintaining speed while doing it was almost impossible with this setup. Even the throttle had hit 100%. However, I expect it will cruise smoothly in a no or light wind condition. Motor and ESC were very hot after completing the test. So, I don't think I'm gonna use this setup again as the battery seemed to get the impact of the condition as well. It got much much hotter using this setup.

From what I read on this forum, higher pitch will draw more amps. But in my personal setups, double the blades seems to help a lot and almost double the single blades' thrust. I may need experts confirmation on this, within this forum. But I was quite happy with the 2nd setup as throttle was just dancing around 40-50%.

I may get 40A ESC shortly, as well as higher amp rate battery (maybe 40C or more, still at 2200mAh. I'm doing this to find the optimal setup for the black widow. BW will use Jay's setup using 3 servos only. I hope this will save power as well as the math does. :)

The only issue that was surfacing today was, there wasn't any video or pic as my wife's mobile phone was out of battery and I left mine in my house :(

I just need to make some improvements on the black widow based on all abuses on the Grey Ghost, and make sure it will have vids or pics. By the way, the zip tie landing gears worked very well. Eventhough there was a small unexpected thing happen when it had its final approach for landing. about 2 feet off the ground, all of a sudden the wind blew heavily. It lost control for a sec before having a hard landing. Without the zip ties, I was sure, it will break the nose. However, it saved the plane by only catching dirt. The incident made the battery jumped out of its place and break the upper nose section. This will remind my to have a battery strap for the black widow. Seems velcro wouldn't be enough for this kind of situation.

Attached Files:

DavePowers and bogusbandit56 like this.
  10. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

F1:

On June 6-7, Easton PA flying club is having an electric fly event where awards will be given for best scale, tech achievement, and pilot's choice. You should enter some of yours and see what happens. Again, it is the Lehigh Valley RC Society.

F1wanabe and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  11. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Sounds like an event for you, Greg :)

F1wanabe likes this.
  12. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Funny how you saw that, Lars! This club is not a foamy club at all. I've stopped there before. Nice guys, but the only thing they do with foam is wings that they use for demolition derby.

13. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Excellent documentation of experiments, I wish I were this organized.:)

14. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Thanks bogusbandit56. Kindly keep us posted with your progress too :)

15. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I have decided to link my ailerons to the rudders with a couple of push rods . I think it may cause a bit of strain on the aileron hinge but I will give it a go anyway. Pictures to follow when I have done it.

F1wanabe likes this.
  16. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Sounds exciting bogusbandit56! Can't wait to see your setup

17. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Good luck with that! Can't wait to see what happens :D

18. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

Looks awesome guys

19. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun