FRCFoamies Mig 29 Scale Twin Prop

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Grantman

Grantman Top Gun

This is incorrect. Long battery wires kill escs, better to extend the motor wires. The motor wires are extensions of the windings, doesn't hurt to extend them some more. Longer battery wires cause voltage spikes at the esc, not good.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  2. Well I have done both with no issues, just make sure you are running a better gauge of wire. Actually I have some that are extended on both ends.

3. Grantman

Grantman Top Gun

I have too, just not to the same extent on one. I'll stretch motor wires a couple of feet, wouldn't do that with battery wires.10-12" at most. I usually go down in wire size, most escs come with overkill. I match the motor wires if extending there and usually go down on the battery wires. The 14ga fine strand wire found on most will carry 100A, lil' excessive IMO.
    20180305_090415[3].jpg

Wildthing likes this.
  4. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I split it 50/50 just so have the esc on the cg mark.

Grantman and Wildthing like this.
  5. Make it balance. ;)

Grantman and jimbosflyin like this.
  6. The longer you go though even with the same gauge of wire you will loose out on amps, this of course all depends how much you are extending plus how much are you drawing.

jimbosflyin likes this.
  7. Grantman

Grantman Top Gun

Sure, over hundreds of feet of wire this is a concern, less so at our scale.

Wildthing likes this.
  8. Rotorhead619

Rotorhead619 Ace Pilot

Now this is a discussion worth having. This airplane is new to me on a few levels. I’ve built a dozen or so park jets from multiple manufactures and they are all different and have their own little differences. This one is much the same. I’ll be receiving all of my electronics hardware tomorrow so I’m at the point where the rubber meets the road. I have read this entire thread and love this product. It’s easy to tell that there have been many hours put into this project and it is amazing.

9. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Good to see your excited to get it in the air! You are right, it still surprises me when I think back on projects we have done, how much time we spent on them to get them right! It was all worth every hour spent on each design we have done to date and we loved doing everyone of them! 2018 should be a interesting year!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

10. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Having a conversation with Tec support for Castle Creations esc's in the past, you have a can have a problem with ripple voltage on the battery side(you have to add capacitors), so best add extension lines between the esc and the motor/s. Make sure you get your wire to cover amperage load.

jimbosflyin likes this.
  11. Rotorhead619

Rotorhead619 Ace Pilot

Well everyone, I am mission complete!!!!! I have finally finished building and have had my first flight of the MiG-29. Attached is the long walk around video and the first flight is soon to come.

malukk, andy_downs, F1wanabe and 4 others like this.
  12. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Wow, what a great review and build, looks fantastic! You can see the hours you put into by the quality of the end product! Can't wait to see the flight video! Thanks for building and sharing, good luck with the maiden flight!!!

Jay, from www.frcfoamies.com

13. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wow, awesome review Raymond! Very thorough and a ton of good tips. Funny- your description of how you swapped the servo wires around until-wham!- everything worked is exactly the way it went for me too the first time I used mixers. Funny how that works, haha. The nice thing about the props on the elevons is that you could get away without ailerons altogether since the thrust will give you a decent roll rate. Definitely a realistic roll rate. So, if you wanted to, you could use the ailerons as flaps only and let the elevons do roll. Something to consider if you wanted to do flaps and you're out of radio mixes. The thing just tools around in slow-mo with flaps! You will love the way the mig flies especially with the counter rotating props! Awesome stability with those. I'd recommend higher expos until you get the hang of the TV on roll as well. We appreciate the details you put into the build and the shout out! Good luck with maiden! Oh, and btw, the plane looks amazing!!!

Rotorhead619, malukk and Wildthing like this.
  14. Rotorhead619

Rotorhead619 Ace Pilot

Here it is!!!!!! What an eventfull first flight.

malukk and Wildthing like this.
  15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Well, at least it's still in one piece which means it was a successful maiden, no? With that wind and the flexibility of the dollar tree foam it looked pretty stable didn't it? Although I wasn't on the sticks. The wing loading is low enough on the mig that you could use packing tape to pre stress the control surfaces for stiffening. I use 3m extreme tape with good success. Adding a couple ounces of packing tape would be worth it for sure if you could get the Dt to stiffen up. Can you get MPF at all? That's not as good as depron but twice as stiff as Dt and almost 6mm. Really enjoyed the flight! Also, I push cg forward a little bit in the wind for stability and if tip stalling is a problem. A rearward cg can cause that. Nice, Rotorhead619!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

malukk, Wildthing and Rotorhead619 like this.
  16. Rotorhead619

Rotorhead619 Ace Pilot

Upon further review of the damage both of the elevon hinges were damaged. One is repairable but the other isn’t. So I am now going to build #2. Any suggestions on stiffer foam?

malukk likes this.
  17. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Raymond, Model plane foam is almost as good as Depron and is really the only solution for us in the US. I buy the Grade B MPF which is about the same cost as dollar tree even when you take into account the shipping considering the size of one sheet of Model Plane foam is equal to two dollar tree pieces. But for now, why not hot glue it into place and use packing tape to stiffen it and abuse the crap out of it! :D It'll definitely take the weight of the stiffening material.

malukk and Rotorhead619 like this.
  18. Rotorhead619

Rotorhead619 Ace Pilot

The plan is to repair it for now but I’m too excited to build #2. I think I like building more than flying.

19. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Yeah, me too although these days I've not done much of both!

malukk likes this.
  20. Well I have been busy with work but slowly and steadily have been working on building one... well... two of em really, another is being built in parallel by a good friend of mine and this plane has been one day weekend group project for the last 3 weeks or so.. its coming along nice and slowly and the most time consuming part which is to install and hide the servos is done whew!! All the electronics including escs are inside nacelles to get enough airflow just like my last setup. Here are two pics from the end of today’s work:

[​IMG]

On the top there are too many wires as I have afterburners with leds programmed by arduino on this as well thats why its a rats nest but soon it’ll all be hidden too:

[​IMG]

Hopefully by next weekend we should be able to build the nose, install the blended wing body cover and rudders and we should be good to go...

Will post more pictures after I finish it up.