FRCFoamies Mig 29 Scale Twin Prop

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Feb 24, 2017.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wow, Lars, that is the most scale looking flight I've ever seen!! WHen I was visiting Jay, the one thing I immediately found was that this plane can fly slow and low really well. But you took that to a whole 'nuther level!!! Beautiful! I'm wathcing this again...

Airflow, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  2. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

One last check under the hood.....[​IMG]

F1wanabe, Airflow, kjdubuque and 5 others like this.
  3. Very slick Tom, well done. :)

Airflow and TomMonton like this.
  4. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Catching up i think...

This honestly is one of the more attractive MiG-29 parkjets going right now. Not a simple build at all but she offers the complete package of performance, agility and looks.

Truly impressive work Jay ... you've exceeded our expectations with this one.

I also see a fresh canvas to decorate

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    F1wanabe, FED50H, jimbosflyin and 3 others like this.
  5. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

A little sum'n i stole from Lars... a canopy holder. [​IMG]

Lgel, Airflow, kjdubuque and 5 others like this.
  6. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

that's pretty slick, and pretty much same thing i am doing with my 16 nose cone and in the back spring loaded locking mechanism

Airflow, Wildthing and TomMonton like this.
  7. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks Greg! Yes, this is a great aircraft just like the F22! with a lot lift and stabillity built in to it, I really like the fact that you guys at FRCF are into BWB-design, like on real fighterjets. Now I don't have to do it myself anymore! Which I had to do before... The BWB provides so much extra lift and stability. Actually, this aircraft weighs as much as the first one, still 110% scale. I've used a mix of 6 and 3mm foam instead of the previous one that was just built of 3mm foam. The wires are shorter now when the ESC and the batteries are closer to each other. So that's why I managed to keep the same low weight on this one too. Looking forward to the next one with BWB design!!

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  8. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

I like it sharply Tom!
    Now it will remain on the plane even if you crash it!
    Which I hope not will happen!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Wildthing, malukk and TomMonton like this.
  9. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

I have put my third MiG aside for a while.
    The FRCF HighLander need to be adjusted a bit before its Maiden on the lake...

Anyway.., here are some pictures from last week's MiG job, the Emax motor installation, same method as before. "Easy on, easy off" motor mount out of 6 mm balsa and two ties.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Balsa protection on the wing leading edges.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

You're only one of a few guys i know of that use zip ties on various parts of a build.

I had always worried about things letting go or vibrating loose on me and why i always stayed with the more old school methods after a fashion.

It impresses me how well your stuff stays stuck on there.

Wildthing, malukk and Airflow like this.
  11. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Tom,
    You're not too old for a try! :)
    I love zipties!! They have actually saved many planes for me, the ties goes before the motor mount and surrounding foam if the propellers hit something hard, branches, the ground... all since the RCP F-22 V2 catapult incident:D back in 2012. Last but not least, they help reduce weight, instead of heavy metal screws, epoxy etc.

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  12. You know if you happen to crash into yourself those could leave the impression you were bitten by a vampire, ;) just sayin, so if somebody is coming at you with a wooden stake you better run. :D

F1wanabe, Airflow and jimbosflyin like this.
  13. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

:)!

Wildthing likes this.
  14. Johan121264

Johan121264 Airman

Can some one tell me how many degrees of deflection they have on the elevons ?

15. Had out the FRC Mig 29, back to 5X3 props instead of the 5X4.5 ones, bumped up the timing and increased the throttle response and much better out of the hole.

SukhoiLover, F1wanabe, Lgel and 3 others like this.
  16. Johan121264

Johan121264 Airman

It is finally ready, i use a 3s lipo i don't need more speed.For thrust deferential i use a v-tail/elevon mixer from Hobbyking. DSC_0106.JPG

F1wanabe, kjdubuque, EricR and 3 others like this.
  17. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

looks great really nice colors must be able to see it well in the sky

Wildthing likes this.
  18. This a fun plane to fly, really liking it. :)

malukk and Johan121264 like this.
  19. Some new props showed up to experiment with.

2017_0806_074833_001.JPG

malukk likes this.
  20. Well quick vertical thrust test on these three new props. The Gemfan 6 blade great thrust and hovers the plane at less then 50% throttle but heat in the motors was quick. Tried the Dalprop T5045 3x5x4.5 , good zip to it and really surprising good thrust, hovered the plane around 50% throttle and motor heat wasn't to bad. Then the Dalprop Q5040 4x5x4 , neat sound and great thrust, probably hovered the same as the triple prop but I think a little more zing to it. Motor heat was slightly warmer.

The APC 2 blade props the 5X3 is way better then their 5X4 or 5X5.45, even when I bench tested those APC props the 5X3 one tested the best. But with the Dalprop it feels way stronger. ;)

Going for the 4 blade 4X5X4 prop, part of my pick is that it is blue to so it matches the plane. ;)

TomMonton and malukk like this.